“Problem Solved”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Birchington
“Problem Solved”
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel to be told there was no booking for us but luckily I had thought to pack the printed confirmation. The receptionist informed us they did not have any of the rooms with a view I had booked available. I was disappointed as I had deliberately booked the higher priced room to ensure we had a view. However seeing my disappointment she reassured us we would not be disappointed with the room allocated - how right she was! The hotel upgraded us and our room had a lovely view from the balcony. We had a separate lounge area which we did not have time to make full use of but was beautifully furnished. The bedroom was comfortable and spa bath was fully utilised.
We were fortunate enough to decide to eat in the restaurant our first night (good job as it's closed on Sunday evenings), the food and wine were excellent. We would definitely stay here again just for the chance to eat an evening meal here again.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank K3nt_Carolyn
Eric S, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear K3nt_Carolyn
Thank you for your wonderful review.
Sorry about the initial mix-up with your reservation, and we are pleased we were able to make your stay a very positive one.
Thank you also for your wonderful feedback on our restaurant food & service, we will certainly be sharing your comments with our staff, who will be delighted you enjoyed experience with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the wonderful Blue Mountains again in the near future.
Eric Sward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed here on 15 Feb for a getaway from Sydney with my partner. We chose a room with a view and glad we did (Room 10). Room very quiet and the Hotel had a lovely feel about it. The restaurant Jamisons was also good (except my beef was over cooked) we would still eat there again as other meals were great. 300m to centre of Katoomba. Overall a little tired in the rooms but overall the hotel had a great atmosphere. I would stay here again. Listening to the pianist in the lounge room before and after dinner was lovely. The girl at the bar trying to tally up the bar dockets saying F*** twice (and not quietly) was not.

Room Tip: Room 10 with a view upstairs and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jac L
Eric S, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear JacL
Thank you for your very positive comments. we are glad you enjoyed your visit, the views and the great atmosphere of our Jamison Views Restaurant, plus our wonderful Resident Piano Player who entertains everyone on Saturday Nights and on many other special occasions.
Your feedback is very important to us, and I will follow up regarding the staff member comments
you overheard, so this does not re-occur.
Many thanks once again, for taking the time to let us know how your stay was, and we trust we can welcome you back again in the future.
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My partner booked this hotel for valentines day. This is a lovely hotel with great views. The room was spacious and the bed was comfy. And an included breakfast in the morning was a great delight. We had dinner in the restaurant, food was beautiful, service was okay. The only issue we had which was small was the milk was out of date in our fridge, just became an inconvenience to walk down stairs to reception every time we needed milk for teas and coffees. But overall a beautiful motel. Thank you

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingAus N
Dear TravellingAus N
Thank you for your feedback. It is great to hear you enjoyed your Valentines Day break with us.
Sorry we missed the out-of-date milk in your fridge, I have passed your comment onto Housekeeping. Our staff would happily supply as much fresh milk as you require, certainly not necessary to make a trip to Reception, I apologise for the inconvenience, and trust it did not detract too much from the quality of your stay.
Once again thanks for letting us know, which in turn helps us monitor our service and satisfaction levels experienced by our actual guests.
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Having a deluxe room offers outstanding panoramic views, well worth it! My room was spacious as was the bathroom. Furnishings could do with an update. One gripe is --no in room safes which I am so used to on my national & international travels.

The downstairs Reception area, hallways, Bar & Lounges & Dining Room demonstrate the olden days charm with the furnishings, lighting & lead light. A wonderful atmosphere is therefore created.

It's worth reading the extensive/ fascinating history of the Mountain Heritage located in the Room Directory.

Beware that possums are in the area & I had a 12.30am to 12.45am scratching, grunting & bashing scenario on one night!

Room Tip: Deluxe for spectacular views.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Eric S, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Dear Clio H
Thank you for taking the time to review our Retreat.
Your positive comments are very welcome and we are pleased you enjoyed the ambience of our historic building, which is still operating as a guest house, (it's original purpose), and now in it's 106th year.
Unfortunately we do not have in-room safes, but your comment is one we need to consider for the future. We do however, offer safe keeping facilities at our front office.
I am sorry you heard some of our local wildlife, The possums like to abandon the trees and use our roof as a transit lane some nights. When they encounter one another, they do not seem to share our sense of hospitality. Thankfully this is a rare occurance, and I trust they did not disturb you too much or for too long.
Many thanks once again for your feedback, we really value your comments.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Our Standard Heritage room is pretty spacious and is decorated in classic style, consistent with the rest of the hotel's decor. Standard features such as heater, box TV, safe, hairdryer, ironing board, as well stock mini bar were present. Do note that a bottle of mineral water in the mini bar cost 5AUD. However, you can get cheaper mineral water easily from the town center supermarket or just boil your own water with the electric kettle provided. There was no view to speak of since I picked the cheapest room. I just couldn't convince myself to pay 40AUD more a night for rooms with better views since I will be out most of the day. Besides, the hotel's best views of Jamison Valley are in the main lobby anyway. I think the best feature of my room goes to the gorgeous gold tap in the bathroom. My only gripe with the hotel was the shower heater. The water pressure was rather weak and it was frustratingly slow to heat up. So, I had to let the water run for a good 5 minutes before showering each time. For someone not accustomed to chilly weather, an efficient heater with good water pressure is my top priority. Overall, I am still pretty satisfied with my stay in this hotel. I booked this accommodation via Hotels.com. For A120 a night, I was slightly disappointed that breakfast was not included. Nevertheless, you will be spoilt for choice just 10 minutes away in the town centre.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank touristmouse
Eric S, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear touristmouse
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed our service and facilities. The fresh Blue Mountains water is safe to drink direct from the tap, so no need to avail yourself of the bottled water if you preferred not to. Our hot water system was replaced brand new mid last year, not sure what caused the lack of pressure you experienced, I would be pleased if you could contact me direct to advise your room number so we can follow up.
It seems you missed our breakfast, which is available every morning and is either a full hot & cold buffet or a la carte service, depending on business levels, and as you have pointed out, a range of restaurant & cafe offerings are an easy 10 minute stroll from our Retreat.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments.
Eric Sward, General Manager
Australia
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed here for a girls weekend in November, driving up from Sydney. We got a very reasonable rate that included Dinner Bed and Breakfast.
The hotel is well located for walking into Katoomba and we did have a walk around town on our first day though there's not really much to see there - Katoomba was probably once a very lovely little mountain town but is past it's prime, sadly, with once-beautiful old art deco buildings now unoccupied or serving another purpose. Unfortunately for Katoomba, Leura is a much lovelier place to dwell.
The hotel is a sprawling place with an interesting history. It is perfectly fine, very clean, the staff were very nice. Our rooms were both at the front of the building with lovely views - I'd recommend paying a little extra for this. The bathrooms were fine also with all amenities you would need. There is a nice balcony on the front of the common lounge rooms on the lower level where you can sit and have a drink before dinner. In fact, the public areas are very substantial and cosy. The meal in the restaurant was good and the service was good. Incidentally, we were pleased to find a very nice local Blue Mountains wine on the menu (and disappointed that we couldn't seem to find it in the Leura retail stores to take home with us). Two of my friends used the spa facilities which were fairly reasonably priced for the services/length of time offered and surprisingly busy (we booked when we got there). But I can't comment myself on how good this was as I didn't use it.
For 4 women just getting away for 2 days on a low or 'managed' budget, this hotel was fine but if I had booked it for myself and my partner, or as a special break, I would have been disappointed. However, I had read enough reviews prior to booking to know that it would probably meet my expectations with regards value for money and I think it did that.
The fundamentals of the Mountain Heritage seem to be solid - but in my opinion it would benefit greatly from a considerable injection of cash for some mainly cosmetic refurbishment. However, it may well be the case that they are managing their 'offer' to appeal to the type of audience they are looking to attract and are happy to continue to do so - there is a lot to be said for the fact that the place is not full of moneyed Sydney-siders and instead is doing a perfectly good job delivering a nice weekend away experience for pretty good value.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank S_G.UK
Eric S, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear S_G.UK,
Thank you for your considered comments around your groups "girls weekend" away. We are pleased you had a very positive experience, and enjoyed your stay and that you appreciate the history, restaurant food and service we provide.
We do feature an excellent white from the local Dryridge Estate Vineyard, in the Megalong Valley, an excellent choice.
We can cater to a range of experiences and price points and offer some wonderful packages for couples to spoil themselves, our spa suites and Premier Suites are a great choice for special weekends away.
I would be delighted to send you some additional information to maybe entice you back for another stay in the beautiful Blue Mountains.
Once again thank you for your comments.
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I made a booking via Booking.com on behalf of my mum for her surprise 50th, and I was impressed even before seeing the place. After emailing a few of my doubts/questions, one of your receptionists - Kiara - did exceptionally well in customer service. She called up twice to ensure everything was fine, which really reassured me. When my mum arrived, she was easily surprised and LOVED the place. I know you might not do this often, but she received an upgrade which made her birthday even more special, and I would like to thank your staff for organising that. I had to see it myself so when I was visited on Saturday, these are a few things I noted:

- great interior design
- exceptional mountain view
- beautiful room furnishing
- clear, blue pool
- impressive Sublime Spa offering
- great food (although breakfast was included, my mum bought from the nicer menu)

I don't think there's anything I can complain about. My family and I are very simple and I can tell you that it truly was a luxurious place, especially as a gift for mothers!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marcarde
Dear marcarde,
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our Retreat, and especially Kiara.
We love celebrations at The Mountain Heritage and were delighted to look after your Mum on her surprise 50th. We are especially grateful she enjoyed her visit and to you for providing us with your very welcome feedback.
We trust we can welcome you and your family again in the future.
Eric Sward
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
The Carrington Hotel
#2 of 15 in Katoomba
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Palais Royale Blue Mountains
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains

Been to Mountain Heritage? Share your experiences!