“Avoid if at all possible” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mountain Heritage

Mountain Heritage
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
London
“Avoid if at all possible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

There is nothing nice to say about this hotel other than they gave me free wifi.
Rooms are filthy the bathroom floor tile grout was all stained yellow with urine stains. There were sticky marks everywhere. Scuffs and chips out of the paintwork everywhere. All the common areas are chipped and marked and dirty. My carpet clearly hadn't been hoovered. The mini bar fridge was dirty, surfaces had hairs and dirt on them. When I checked in the receptionist kept answering the phone and taking bookings so I had to wait for ages then she gave me the wrong directions to my room. I was booked on as part of a tour and if it had been for any longer than one night I wouldn't have stayed. Vile.

Room Tip: Dont stay here if you want a good room. My view was awful but I imagine there are some nice views bu...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LBriggs
RSargison_4782, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Dear LBriggs,

Thank you for your feedback and I must say that I am very shocked that you have made all these very negative comments. I personally inspected the room with you and I agree there are minor scuff marks around the room from guest's suitcase damage etc., the stain on the bathroom floor is not from urine but a rust stain. There was also a small finger print mark on the mirror which you pointed out to me.
I then showed you one of our spa fire place rooms which you "seemed" very happy with but from your negative comments I guess you weren't. This room including the spa bathroom has just been recently painted and all timber work re stained.

Our front desk staff were busy on the front desk but still allowed you to call your tour provider later so that you could complain about every aspect of the tour around the mountains that they gave you.

I did personally try to appease you with a complimentary upgrade and free Wi Fi and even after speaking with you the next morning and assisting you with your travel plans you seemed very positive about your stay with us, so I am really sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Your very low rating of us is extremely unfair but I know that is the way Trip Advisor operates...most of the time against the accommodation operators.

Roger Sargison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

Stayed in this olde establishment for three nights (December) in a Heritage View room at the front with spectacular view of the Jamison Valley. Awesome watching the mist race up the valley and the town to engulf the view. In another hour, the views were back with clarity. Comfortable room, airy and no complaints. Also had two dinners in the Jamison Views restaurant- good hearty meals, small menu choice and delicious both evenings. If you are above the dinning room, ask them to keep the Muzak low as it resonates up through the ceiling/ ducts; A little annoying at 11:30pm. Good walking distance to Katoomba for other meals, including dinner - down and up the hill! Leura was also possible but not by us! Easy access to walking tracks using the car or local transport.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of the October long weekend. On arrival we were told we had been upgraded a premier suite however I would not call the room a premier suite. Upon asking the girl at reception for the room I had booked I was told it was not available and she did not understand why we didn't like the upgrade. I had booked a room with a spa and the spa in this room was a tub under the shower. On our last night during the stay we lost power for a number of hours. The staff did not check on guests even the room was pitch black and there was no apology when we checkedt out. I would definitely not stay here again or recommend it.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
RSargison_4782, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear Pmac79

Thank you for your feedback, I must say I am shocked that it has taken 3 months to make a comment about your stay with us but I guess that is understandable given the incentives that Trip Advisor gives people who make multiple comments about their stays.

I am really confused by your comments about the room you stayed in as this is our largest and best premier suite with views of Leura and The Jamison Valley. The room has a separate lounge room with a large flat screen TV, kitchen facilities, large bedroom with a king size bed, flat screen TV and stereo a very large bathroom with a two person spa bath with 4 spa jets...I can't understand how you can call it "a tub under a shower"! This room is priced at almost double the one that you originally booked so I am very sorry that you did not appreciate this upgrade.

The short power outage was experienced throughout all of Katoomba and we did our very best to ensure that all guests were advised of this unfortunately with a full hotel and a very large wedding in the ballroom it was difficult to advise all guests within a short time frame.

Thank you once again for your feedback.
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Mountain Heritage Hotel for two nights last October.As other reviewers have said, the hotel enjoys a wonderful location with some spectacular views over The Blue Mountains from the lounge and restaurant areas, together with many of the hotel's guest rooms.As the web-site states, the hotel manages to combine the grandeur "of yesteryear" with the requirements of today.The hotel furnishings and general decor reminded us of the style of a Stately Home in the UK circa 1920-1930, The quality and comfort of the furnishings and fixtures in all the ground floor accommodation was of a high standard with a view to match over the Blue Mountains.The guest room we had was perhaps a little small but it was well kept and we wanted for nothing.

All the staff we came into contact with (including,I believe the manager) were pleasant, knowledgable and helpful, as evidenced by the cafe we were advised to eat at in the neighbouring village of Leura where all the food is home cooked. Lily's Pad, the cafe in question, is certainly worth a visit.

Those reading this review will need to decide whether they wish to step back in time and enjoy the relaxing atmosphere created by furnishings designed to capture the opulence of a by-gone time or whether a more chic or boutique style is your preference.We thoroughly enjoyed our short time at the Mountain Heritage Hotel despite being children of the 60's not the 30's !

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lew5
RSargison_4782, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Dear Lew5,

Thank you so much for your review and positive comments, (I do remember talking with you both). I guess you can now understand why so many other accommodation venues in the Blue Mountains are envious of our magnificent views.

We also pride ourselves on our service and our friendliness to our guests and it seems we got it right again during your stay.

Thank you once again and hopefully when you return to the beautiful Blue Mountains and The Mountain Heritage Hotel and Spa Retreat you may want to stay in one of our larger Spa Fireplace rooms.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

Step back in time, the entry is magnificent the public areas breathtaking.
We had a heritage view room and the view was specatacular. Room was small but clean. A little noisy outside with cars at night but not to bad.

Dear Gelmoat,

Thank you for your review and positive comments. It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and yes we do have the best views in the magnificent Blue Mountains!

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Mountain Heritage Hotel and Spa Retreat.

Kind Regards,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

Very dated hotel. View from window is an air conditioning vent. Bathroom taps are hanging off the wall. Paint peeling off the Walls in rooms and we have been told this is the best heritage room they have. Very old tv no digital. Apparently this is a 4 star hotel and at over $220 a night I really expected more. This is very 3 star and feel ripped off. We have spent $700 for 3 nights on a very average at best hotel. Only thing the hotel has going for it is the view

2 Thank Mejuliecbr
RSargison_4782, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Dear Mejuliecb,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel and more importantly the standard of your room. I am a little confused as I was in your room on the second day of your stay replacing a globe in your bathroom and I asked how everything was and your comment led me to believe that everything was fine and there were no problems with your room.
The tap you took a photo of is in that state due to " a guest" standing on the tap assembly and almost breaking it off, this disturbing and deliberate act has also broken the tiles around it. We now have to get a plumber and tiler in to repair the damage. Unfortunately it is very difficult to prove which guest has done this but it is only very, very recent as all our rooms/bathrooms are checked daily. Investigations as to which guest did this are continuing and compensation will be sought.
We are also very happy to let you know that yesterday (10th October 2011) new large LED energy saving televisions were placed in rooms. We have been waiting for this delivery for some time now and are extremely happy with the dramatic changes that this has made to our rooms.
We have also inspected the room and found no paint peeling off any of the walls just suitcase damage done to some of the corners of walls in the room.
The view from your window is of our rooftop but we do have view rooms that are priced accordingly. Our room pricing is on "par" and very copetitive with accommodation prices throughout the mountain.

Thank you once again for your feedback.
Kind Regards,
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

This hotel started Yulefest in the mountains 31 years ago and has totally refined the art! Fun fun fun. First-class 5-course dinner, great staff, wonderful cabaret/carols and lots and lots of lovely added touches, like professional photos emailed to you after the event, and Santa - the hotel's GM in disguise - bringing choccies for the adults. Mountain Heritage is like a big country guest house, with all the charm, attentive staff, open fires and huge comfy chairs (and beds!) to match. Yulefest is a must-do event.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SelinaEstelle
RSargison_4782, General Manager at Mountain Heritage, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Dear Selina,

Thank you for your feedback which I have passed on to all my staff. It was pleasing to read that you really enjoyed yourself at our Yulefest celebration, although giving Santa's secret away may need some very delicate handling in the future. Hopefully not too many little ones read Trip Advisor!
Thank you once again for your positive comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Mountain Heritage Hotel and Spa Retreat again. Maybe at Christmas when (hopefully) Santa will be back!
Kind Regrads,
Roger Sargison
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
The George Boutique Hotel
The George Boutique Hotel
#4 of 5 in Blackheath

Been to Mountain Heritage? Share your experiences!