“Fantastic Day Out!”

High 'n Wild Mountain Adventures
Ranked #15 of 50 things to do in Katoomba
More attraction details
Owner description: High and Wild Mountain Adventures has been operating since 1989. We offer Abseiling, Rock Climbing, Canyoning and Bush Survival courses. We cater for beginners through to experienced outdoor adventurers and hold all of the relevant qualifications and licenses to operate these activities.
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My boyfriend and I booked the Empress Canyon package, which involved half a day of abseiling followed by canyoning and a 30m waterfall abseil to top everything off.

Our instructors were Tim and Chewie. I cannot praise them highly enough, they were both so friendly, informative, and professional, helping us work on our abseiling technique. We first abseiled down a 5m cliff to learn the basics, before doing a 15m abseil and a 30m abseil where your legs dangle down as you descend the side of the cliff, scary but exhilarating!!!!

We delicious ham salad sandwiches and fruit for lunch, with plenty to go around. We then headed down to Empress Canyon where we put on wet suits and waded down a creek and did some spectacular water jumps which were so much fun. When we got to the end of the creek you had the option to either slide into the pool or do a massive rock jump, I'd definitely recommend the rock jump as it gets the adrenaline pumping!

We then abseiled straight down the middle of a 30m waterfall which was the absolute highlight, it was AMAZING!!! The water rushes all over you, it is the best feeling!!!! After this Tim encouraged us to do a few more jumps into the pool at the side of the waterfall (we couldn't get enough!) before we headed back home. If you have waterproof camera, definitely take it as several people in our group got some great action footage with their go pro cameras doing the water jumps and the waterfall abseil.

Overall, it truly was a fantastic day out, we couldn't stop smiling and I have no hesitation in recommending a trip with High n Wild! We will definitely be back!!!!!

3  Thank thesleepydoormouse
Aidan m, Owner at High 'n Wild Mountain Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Hi Guys,
Thank you so much for the review we really appreciate it.
If you are around during winter time there is a trip called tiger snake canyon that might interest you.
If you come back in summer ask about Butter box canyon. You need pretty good fitness for both trips.
Thanks again
Aidan

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Despite that we reserve the day abseiling and canyoning later it was not a problem. We were very well received and our guide (Evan) was very good. we had a great day starting with the abseiling, a delicious lunch and then we went to Empress Canyon. I recommend this company to all the people who want to spend a day of fun and adrenaline!

3  Thank Alexia C
Aidan m, Owner at High 'n Wild Mountain Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Hi Alexia,
Thank you for the review. Much appreciated.
I will pass on your words to Evan
Thanks
Aidan High n Wild

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Abseiling and canyoning were brilliant! Such a rush and wouldn't have been the same without our friendly, skilled and very patient instructors! Thanks a million to all th three instructors.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I am still carrying with me the High n Wild "high" of being literally out there in the Blue Mountains coming down a 140' water fall on a rope. My daughter and I had a fine and thrilling time. This adventure is -- not for the timid -- life changing for as their slogan goes "Feel the Fear "(you do) and "Do it anyway" (you do).

Kudos to our guide Nathan who made the "not-easy" simple. If you want a real adventure this is the place...then we found out this was just their medium grade trip. Yea Gawds, love to find out what a high level adventure is like. Point is I'd go anywhere with Nathan and High n Wild.
'Nuf said!

3  Thank ZevwithHighnWild
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We did the full day abseil and canyoning trip and really enjoyed it. The guides are great and it's a lot of fun. The only reason I give it a very good instead of excellent is because I would have enjoyed doing more, there seemed to be a little too much down time.

3  Thank Emy W