“Friendly, but communication trouble”
Review of Blue Mountains YHA

Blue Mountains YHA
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Friendly, but communication trouble”
Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

The location of the hostel is good, though I arrived on the train and travelled with a heavy bag. The distance to walk is fine (similar to what I've experienced with other hostels), but the hill was a bugger with the bag.

I experienced a major failure in trying to book the adventure package. The online booking for the package wasn't working so I emailed to make arrangements. After 2months of emails, they couldn't get the booking completed. 2months! The reason was unclear and even upon arrival they seemed confused as to what was going on. But, they were very nice and once there, very helpful. So... Don't rely on email communications and you'll be fine.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

This place was huge, definitely no risk of feeling crowded here. The kitchen was massive, with a very good free food section, well-equipped with good cooking facilities (including ovens, hooray!) dorm rooms were in need of a little TLC but were spacious, beds were comfy and linen was clean. The bathrooms were superb, modern-looking and clean. Excellent TV room with good selection of films.

Stayed April 2014
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed April 20, 2014

This YHA has got an excellent range of facilities: large and clean kitchen with all necessary utensils, comfortable couches, a broad amount of books and magazines and the house has a nice atmosphere. The staff is professionally polite and friendly. We stayed in a five bed dorm which was pretty standard - but clean and spacious. The Blue Mountains are only a five minutes drive away - so if you're on a budget, there is no reason not to stay at this YHA.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Hostel clean with lots of facilities - good kitchen, good tv/DVD room although you can't get DVDs out of reception after 10pm. Receptionists v friendly. Beds comfy. Showers bit old and leaked but bathrooms ok. Lots of floor space and storage space in dorms. Also some desks in the 6bed dorms.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We stayed at this YHA for 2 nights prior to new years eve and it was packed out! We had an ensuite double room, on the first floor and whilst the room was a decent size with okay furnishing, we were right at the top of the staircase so all traffic flowed past us. In addition, it was definitely a case of "one up, all up", as doors slamming in the morning seemed to be norm.
Our room hadn't been cleaned when we arrived, but we had an apology from the staff and were given a free breakfast, so we were reasonably happy about that. Staff were very informative and friendly despite being rushed off their feet.
The hostel is in a good location for town and the three sisters and has a good amount of parking. We would recommend the National Pass walk at Wentworth Falls, pretty spectacular and not as busy as the falls itself.
All in all, we were happy with the accommodation, it is a little dated but that didn't bother us too much.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Now that I'm in my thirties, I was feeling quite reluctant to stay at a hostel while on holiday in Australia. But I eventually caved cause I saw all the great reviews and I am so glad I did. In fact, I wish I could have stayed longer! It was such a nice hostel. I was greeted by a friendly man who gave me the rundown about local hikes and how to get around. Every part of the hostel I saw was super clean. There were so many small details in the design that I appreciated. Right where you wished there was a hook or a shelf there was one...it was a bit uncanny. From what little time I spend inside the hostel it seemed that there were quite a lot of older guests, so it turned out that I was maybe on the younger end of the spectrum.

The main attraction in the area, the Echo Point lookout, is walking distance from the hostel, which was great. I know I'm not reviewing that, but it was AMAZING. And there's a really unique cafe close by called the Yellow Deli which was also quite convenient.

Only downside of hostel was a gal at the front desk that had too much attitude for the otherwise warm and friendly town of Katoomba. Otherwise, a great stay in a gorgeous part of the country.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank JenniferJacobs
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Only stayed here for one night, but was completely taken by the town and the Blue Mountains. Blue Mountains YHA was a fine place to rest your head for the night. It was very clean and quiet through the night. I wouldn't plan on sleeping in, though. I was in a street-side room and the street started getting pretty noisy and I could hear doors banging starting around 5:30 am. The kitchen, bathrooms, and common areas were very clean and nice and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The beds were not exceedingly comfortable. Overall, I would stay again. I found it pretty expensive (like just about everything else in Australia). $80 for a room without en-suite toilet and shower seems like a lot.

You absolutely can't beat the location, though. Easy walk from the train station which takes you to and from Sydney Central. Easy walk to SPECTACULAR hikes, and I can't emphasize SPECTACULAR enough. In retrospect I would like to have spent at least three days in Katoomba. It is such a charming little town. Thanks to Blue Mountains YHA and Sydney/NSW transport for making it so easy to experience this treasure.

The American public transportation system is an absolute embarrassment.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo