“Shabby Chic - without the chic”

The Carrington Hotel
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Reviewed August 2, 2009

This is a hard one to review.
It is an old hotel and so you expect old - but it just seemed a trifle shabby.
However, the good points:
Beds were comfortable and the spa bath lovely - and I had a a nice view.
Though I had one of the best rooms - king sized spa with a view - and I wouldn't go down a notch.
Checkin and checkout was good and fast.
Breakfast staff were excellent, very friendly and efficient.

Bad points - service (or lack thereof) in the so called Grand Dining Room
I have eaten solo in many restaurants and hotels around the world - and I can tell in a moment if the waiting staff feel uncomfortable. And these did.
I was offered two tables (supposedly because all the others were booked) but the two available just happened to be away from the 'real' diners.
When I ordered my meal (which I will return to) I ordered a glass of wine (I wasn't asked if I wanted any wine of course)
Anyway that wine came and that was the last I saw of waiting staff for the rest of the night.
First course came - a salmon parcel filled with prawns - although I had particularly asked whether the 'prawn sauce' meant many prawns. However it was edible, actually to be fair more than edible.
Plates taken, wine glass empty - and remained so.
The main course came - waiter plonked the the dish down by standing behind me so I never saw his face. And he raced off so quickly I couldn't ask for anything else. Lucky I had half a glass of water left or it would have been a very awful night.
The dish (chicken) was swimming in the sauce - making it inedible. There were vegetables in the dish but they were drowned under the sauce. Ironically, what I did taste was good - lay off the sauce and it would be a lovely dish.
So dinner concluded. I asked the Manager why I wasn't offered a table with the rest of the grownups - and he tried to argue that I was offered my choice of tables - which was incorrect.
I asked why I didn't get service and he mentioned the first glass of wine that did come promptly.
But the story doesn't end there - I saw on the website that there was a residents lounge - with open fire and cozy sofas. I asked the barman where it was - and he seemed confused. He asked if I meant the library.
The joke is that the lounge (as I discovered in the full light of day) was behind the bar.
All in all a bit amateurish.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Travelling_Deborah

Reviewed July 25, 2009

We have just returned from 4 days at The Carrington, which we could not fault in any way, the staff were all friendly, there was not one of them that I could say was a pain. We ate at the Grand Dining room twice and the food was really good, in this case it was 10 out of 10 for presentation and surprise 10 out of 10 for quantity and 10 out of 10 for deliciousness. The rooms are all old worldly and very clean and warm. We had cake if the day once and the size of the slice was huge and of course delicious. There is plenty to do around Katoomba and the four days passed very quickly.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2009

You feel like you have gone back in time to the 1920's when you visit this place, but not entirely in a good way.

There is a certain charm when you enter the old lobby, but it's all a bit creaky and a little bit too reminiscent of Fawlty Towers.

Big problem for us was that there was no lift and we had to carry our own heavy suitcases up steep stairs. Room was a decent size, but in real need of refurbishment.

Staff were friendly enough.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alistairio
Reviewed January 29, 2009

This was our first and last stay at this hotel. At arrival there was no assistance from the hotel staff with handling the luggage. It means you will have to drag heavy suitcases up a long stair to the reception.

We totally agree with reviews that the staff are unsuitable for the job, and should look for employment elsewhere. You hardly feel welcome at arrival.

We stayed in a Colonia room wich looks great on internett, but in reality is dark and not cosy. We found a hughe cockroach in our room.

During our stay, we experienced to be rejected from the hotel's brasserie in a very unfriendly way at 7.30 pm (close 9 pm) even though the restaurant was more than 50% empty. The explanation we got was that the kitchen had to "chatch up" with the orders. Earlier the same day the receptionist had wrongly told us that no reservation was necessary.

The breakfast is a disgrace, served in a dark bar area with no atmosphere.

The hotel kitchen close early. Even though we "enjoyed" dinner in the hotel, we were denied dessert and coffee, only because the kitchen closed 15 minutes earlier.

At check out the hotel staff claimed a different price than agreed on the phone. We really had to quarrel with the staff on this issue.

Unfortunately my wife forgot a gold ring in the room. We never got this ring back. When we called the hotel to ask if they had found this ring, the employee behaved extremly rude.

The main problem for this hotel, is the staff. They are unproffessional and unsuitable for the job. Our advise to other travellers is: stay away from this overpriced hotel. Your stay will not be pleasant!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank W0mbatW0mbat
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Im staying in hotels a few nights every month.. but this was something special.

The hotel is located in a great location! Surrounded by bars and great restaurants, a few meters from the trainstation. Within walking distance you can book bicycles, climbing trips and other activities in the region.

We didnt make any booking but just walked in upon arrival at Katoomba. We took the first night in a Balcony room with nice views over the village and the mountains. The room was clean, there was a color TV and we had a proper ensuite bathroom. Nothing fancy, but all clean.

The second night we went on budget and moved to one of the traditional rooms. They where fine as well. I had only hoped for a sink in the room (bathrooms are shared) but there wasnt any. The shared bathrooms where all clean and perfect.

Breakfast was what it needs to be, nothing fancy.

The hotel has a great decor on the outside and inside. Old style furniture.

The service at the reception was a bit weird, but OK overall. (They didnt know where to book mountainbikes).

My wife made use of the in-house Spa which she really enjoyed.

Like other people wrote: Dont expect too much and you will enjoy your stay in this hotel with charm

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vastgotta
Reviewed October 5, 2008

Plenty of old world character and charm. But certainly not comfortable. I booked a Traditional room (i.e. no ensuite). The room was really really small. The room heater didn't work (thankfully it was early spring so quite OK temperature-wise). I found all the sofas (in the lounges and library) needed new upholstery or atleast a good clean.

Think I'll stick with the more modern hotels next time.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gorson
Reviewed August 19, 2008

The Carrington has been more or less restored to its former splendour, arguably the grandest hotel in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney.
We stayed in a Colonial Room, built in 1927 and retaining many of the original features such as stained glass windows and bathroom tiling. Vast bedrooms and beds, and a hearty breakfast served in the old dining room made for a very retro experience. Tea at the Paragon Cafe just round the corner would make an ideal match! Dinner was at the Old Bank Brasserie next door - traditional European fare served in equally hearty portions.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
Mountain Heritage
Mountain Heritage
#6 of 15 in Katoomba
Palais Royale Boutique Hotel
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains

Been to The Carrington Hotel? Share your experiences!