“The charismatic Carrington.”

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Sydney, Australia
“The charismatic Carrington.”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Thank you Derek and Reception, Sarah and the Dining Room Staff, the bartenders and everyone really. Our stay was amazing right down to Jo and Elantra who gave us massages and facials in Renaissance.
Thank you! Your service was professional, warm and friendly. We wanted for nothing. We will be back! Kind regards Karl and Susie Ilijas, Patonga Beach.

Room Tip: We were lucky enough to be on Floor 1 with a balcony room. Did not even have to go outside to enjoy...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sue I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We really wanted to experience some old world charm and we did get some of this. As we walked up the majestic driveway we were quite put off to find a group of youths skateboarding up and down the hotel's front lawn and sitting about drinking alcohol out of brown bags. We went into the main reception to enquire about eating in the old 'famous' Dining Room. The young man at the hotel reception was very standoffish and is doing nothing to promote the hotel. He said the dining room was closed but we could eat in the Brasserie. We wandered around and found out that the Dining Room was actually open the following night and went back to reception to equire about this, where he sighed, glared at us and said yes it was. I wasn't sure whether it would be very expensive and he was fairly hostile and infact gave us the wrong menu to look at...... The only reason I go on about this part is that I hope the Hotel reads this and rectifies its poor service as the hotel itself deserves more. There was no sign of management all night long.

We had a drink in the cocktail bar and were disappointed to be served by a barman with piercings and scruffy hair... it just isn't the environment for that. The dining room is lovely, dating back to the 1800's with a pianist playing and I could imagine the rich Sydneysiders of the 1800's coming up for the weekends. The staff were friendly, although it just lacks that old world edge. Not overpriced either. There was a small menu and you could select either one, two or three courses for a fixed price. We chose two courses each for $48 then shared a dessert for $18 so very good.

Small improvements I would recommend include waiters placing the napkin when you seat, pouring the wine instead of leaving it at the table and topping it up throughout the meal, and a slower service of food. The starter was tiny but delicious. All in all a pleasant evening but service needs a shot in the arm.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Suitcasedwellers
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

The Carrington is truly a wonderful place to stay. With its old world charm and its wonderful position amidst a plethora of different stores and stalls, you would have to be crazy not to love it. I stayed two nights, and it really felt like home.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sunshine Coast
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had allways wanted to stay at this Hotel - such an iconic place with so much history. We spent 3 wonderful nights - even though we initially booked for 2 but arrived earlier. So pleased we did. Geoffery at the desk managed to rearrange some of the rooms so we could get in a day earlier with our daughter. The whole establishment feels true to its history - the decor was exceptional. We ate the complimentary breakfast each morning - very nice. We also ate in the main dining room on the Saturday night. My husband is still talking about the Salmon entree. All staff were very helpful and pleasant.

Room Tip: The Colonial room was great - private facilities very good
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DianeSunshineCoast
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed April 8, 2013

this hotel is just amazing. it exudes historic luxury from the moment you pull up at the front. traditional rooms are quite basic but still nice. the lord carrington suite is fabulous. i stayed in both as my brother was getting married there. I stayed with the girls and bride in the suite the night before and it was great with everything we needed, then the traditional room the next night. The shared bathrooms are surprisingly good. Every time i went in there i didnt run into another person - theres plenty of showers and toilets and the shower cubicles arent a shoe box size, you have plenty of room for all your bits and pieces

Room Tip: go for the lord carrington suite
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a three day trip to the blue mountains. Great location for the train, tour buses, shops send cafes.
Amazing decor and architecture on the ground floor. Wonderful cocktails served in champagne Charlies. Highly recommend the toblerone we had these instead of puddings at their old bank brasserie situated at end of hotel drive. I was disappointed with the food at the brasserie, having told them I was tomato and gluten intolerant , my main course was served to me with tomatoes all over it. When I pointed this out they took it away and prepared another meal. But it meant my partner and I ended up eating separatly. The hotel dining room accommodated my diet better providing me with gluten free toast each day. My partner had a cooked breakfast each day which was of good size. I found the continental breakfast ample.
Our spa room was a very good size. A huge bed which was very comfortable. The view was amazing. The spa bath was a bit disappointing. It was not that large, designed for 2 people but very squashed. It did have a shower over it, but this was difficult to use due to the uneven floor of the bath.
The staff were helpful, our train arrived an hour before check-in. We were allowed to book in early. We asked if we could leave our luggage so we could make the most of our last day. This was no problem.
Free WiFi also made our stay a little more welcoming.
I would love to return but not sure I would pay extra for the spa Beth.

Stayed March 2013
1 Thank KAZLO
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I recently stayed at the Carrington Hotel as a Family Wedding Reception was being held here. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant lady behind the counter. I was suprised at how beautiful the bulidng was, it really is an old building. Everything was perfectly fine with this hotel and I would recommend it to anyone. I just have an issue with service we recieved at the wedding reception. We sat down to dinner at 7 and the speeches began, however we were given no drink to toast so we were all toasting with water. Finally alcohol was served at around 8pm by staff who couldnt crack a smile between them. Our table decided that they would set up some rules like "no pointing", "no drinking with left hand" etc..innocent I would say and we were all having a good laugh, by 9pm, my boyfriend and a few of his cousins were told that they either couldn't have any more alcohol or they could have half meaures as they had had enough....which was laughable considering approx 2-3 drinks had been served to each person the whole time we had been there. Now if were all young 18 year olds, I would perhaps not find this as such an issue however, I am a 25 yr old pregnant women sitting there drinking water with partner who is told (because he was laughing) he had too much to drink..at a family wedding...not an 18 year olds birthday party. To add to that, myself and my partner were the only 2 sitting at the table as the rest of our table were mingling as the main course was served so the waitress decides to serve me and then alternates the meals to the guests sitting next to me who aren't sitting there, so my partner is left sitting with no food whilst the rest gets cold! So using my common sense I took a plate and gave it to my partner which was fine as we were alternates, I mentioned something to the waitress about she would need to put a plate on my other side and she said to me "well it needs to be alternate" to which I replied "well my bf is sitting next to me and he is my alternate" all this time never once acknowleding me....just out right lack of common sense and service.
Despite this, the food was lovely and I am informed the top table receoived good service, however the rest of us have a different take. I would stay here again, however the waitering/bar staff have a serious attitide problem who need some hospitality training.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
Mountain Heritage
Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
The George Boutique Hotel
The George Boutique Hotel
#3 of 5 in Blackheath

Been to The Carrington Hotel? Share your experiences!