“Nice refurbish but not enough”

Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We chose this guesthouse for my birthday weekend as it is a wonderful location, and I heard the rooms had been refurbished recently. The rooms were lovely, with a lovely french feel and the views were spectacular.
Unfortunately, the bar and restaurant area are still as it was when built in the 90's...black marble and leather which is really not in keeping with the mountains guesthouse feel. The bar and fireplace area didn't open until 5.30pm, which was quite disappointing as the weather out side was appalling and sitting around a fire was exactly what I expected to be able to do.
We had dinner at Darley's restaurant (part of this hotel group), which was fantastic, possibly one of the best meals I've had. We expected that our breakfast the following day would be wonderful also, as it was quite expensive. What we got was very second rate...juices were not fresh, and a pretty average continental buffet. The cooked breakfast was made to order, but the bacon had obviously been cooked well in advance and kept warm...it was oily and really dried out and tough. The roasted tomatoes could have been the previous days leftovers. I had eggs benedict, and I think the hollandaise sauce was possibly from a bottle, so pretty disappointing.
Overall though, we had a great time as the rooms were so lovely and such wonderful views. But one last cross against this hotel...we paid $555 for bed and breakfast, then over $300 for dinner, they then charged a fee to use our credit card on checkout! I don't think I've ever been charged a fee for an upmarket hotel and restaurant before!
I would have to think twice about staying again as this hotel didn't feel generous...they didn't really offer anything other than a lovely room.

4  Thank Jen S
Ralf B, General Manager at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we failed in some areas to provide you with the service, and attention we are known for. We do carry out soft refurbishments of the hotel every year and the bar area is scheduled to be completed at the end of 2014. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your dining experience at Darley's Restaurant though.

I hope you accept my apologies, and rest assured all issues raised will be addressed with the relevant departments.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

We had a deluxe view room (downstairs, opening onto courtyard) for four nights in June. Perfectly enjoyed the room, highlights include:

* Gorgeous views of the mountains from the comfort of the room or courtyard immediately outside
* Good design which made our room way more comfortable and cozy than its normal size should allow. Did not want to leave.
* The hotel is very well located. Walk through the neighbouring Llianfels and you're at the three sisters look out, walk the other way and you've got the walks and cablecar/railway walks in scenic world. In addition to the in-house restaurants, the delightful Pins on Lurline restaurant is a quick walk away. Katoomba town is about a 20 mins walk away.

Things to be aware of:
* On asking about how to get the free wifi during check in, the front desk staff member's reply implied that in-room wifi is free only for a single device having small usage such as for social networking, and that any additional usage would incur a charge. In reality, you actually get 1 gig of free data usage per day, and the quota appears to be sharable between multiple devices. Perhaps I should have pressed her for specifics but this misconception led me to unnecessarily rely on mobile data for the first couple of nights.
* In the downstairs Deluxe view room (Cox), mobile coverage is patchy at best. To get data I needed to have my phone right near the window with the thick curtains open. That's with the Optus network. I could not get a Telstra signal in the room at all. No issues with mobile reception outside of the room.

* The courtyard rooms lead on to their individual porches with a table and a couple of chairs (great views, as with your room), which then lead to a gorgeous common courtyard. The hotel was not fully occupied at the time so I only had a left neighbour, but the porches are quite close to each other and I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to ignore their presence if everyone were out in their porches. Likewise you'd need to close the curtains for privacy due to parts of the room being in the sightline of someone standing in the courtyard, even with the well placed plants in the way. For those seeking more privacy, the upper level rooms might be a better fit.

For the four days the hotel provided the perfect mountain escape from the world, would love to visit again.

Room Tip: For those seeking more privacy, the upper level rooms might be a better fit.

Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay, and enjoyed the facilities and our team that looked after you. Thank you for your feedback regarding our WiFi and phone coverage, these are issues that we are reviewing so that they can be improved.

I hope we can welcome you back to Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant in the near future.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

We booked a superior room with cliff views at Echoes for two nights and were delighted with the room, the facilities and the level of service and politeness of staff, they could not have been more helpful. We had a balcony and great views. The hotel was expensive and we feel we got what we paid for - luxury. As well as the air conditioner we had a gas 'look alike' log fire in our room which made for lovely ambience. We would definitely stay again.

1  Thank Travelled_8

Reviewed June 20, 2014

My husband took me here for a romantic getaway as Lilianfels, the sister hotel was fully booked. He apparently had to book Echoes well in advance as well.

VIEW
He booked us into a superior room with cliff views which was over $500 a night. We had a private balcony and yes - incredibly views but unfortunately, we checked in at 10 pm on Friday night so it was pitch dark, had a glimpse of the view on Saturday morning but it was foggy and raining so we couldn't stay on the balcony long and we checked out at 9 am on Sunday. Definitely not the hotel's fault but we regretted paying for a fabulous view and not having the time to enjoy it - so a note to Sydney weekenders, perhaps a valley view room might suffice.

SERVICE
Cannot fault anything by the front desk. Polite, helpful and available. Housekeeping was a let down. There was hair in the bathroom when we checked in.

SPA FACILITY
You need to book in advance as they are very popular on the weekend. Prices are steep and there is a 48 hour cancellation policy, which is not waived if you are sick. The spa room was beautiful and my masseuse was fabulous - can't fault anything here.

BATHROOM
This section of the room was a let down - it was tiny, I barely had room to lay out my toiletries. We had a spa bath which I used and can recommend. It's a little old and the base is wearing out but it was functioning fine. Now... the towels and toilet paper... for a hotel of this caliber, I expect soft toilet paper and fluffy towels! Unfortunately, the quality of both was clearly on par with any 3 star chain hotel.

BED
Now this was my true gripe. We have fabulous mattress at home (which we take for granted until we sleep in a hotel bed). The bed was incredibly uncomfortable and the pillows were worse. I couldn't decide whether they were lumpy or just old? For a hotel that trades on wellness and relaxation, they seriously need to upgrade their pillows or put down another layer of pillow top on their mattress.

Finally, the room temperature can only vary from 21-23 degrees and it was too cold to turn the heater off but perhaps we were unable to get the settings to work properly but the room was dry and hot both rights.

Overall the place was very romantic and definitely conducive to relaxing. Service was great and spa facilities were good. But the short 48 hours cost us $1500 and there are plenty of places within a few hours drive from Sydney that can deliver the same or higher levels of relaxation than Echoes at this price point.

2  Thank Aly S

Dear Valued Guest,

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we failed in some areas to provide you with the service, and attention we are known for especially with our high standards of Housekeeping.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Great place. Beautiful views, great service, excellent breakfast, close to everything. loved it all.
best place to stay :)
The only thing was that we were downstairs so I could hear movement upstairs early in the morning such as footsteps, running showers going etc... it was not too bad but sound proofing would be a winner.

Room Tip: Choose a room upstairs

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We spent the June long weekend at Echoes with high expectations given it's reputation as the top boutique hotel in the Blue Mountains.
We booked a deluxe double room with valley view.
We had a private balcony with marvellous views of the Jamieson valley. It was simply breathtaking.
The room was well apportioned with all the essentials. I liked the Australiana theme bathroom accessories and the shower was spacious.
The bed was comfortable but the pillows were a little too firm. Nevertheless I slept well.
When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly man who seemed to struggle with the English language. He was pleasant enough but he missed the mark as a meet and greet person on the front desk. We were not shown to our room.
We booked dinner at the restaurant. We had eaten at this restaurant the previous year and we loved it.
Upstairs near the restaurant there is a fireplace near the bar. We decided to have a drink before dinner.
Unlike last year we did not feel the same intimate atmosphere. The lighting was bright and there seemed to be a lot of noise coming from one of the rooms adjoining the restaurant. Staff members were running around like an ants nest and there was a lot of noise coming from the bar. I did not feel relaxed or welcome.
The restaurant food was presented well and passed the taste test although my lamb required a steak knife to cut. We did like the complimentary horderves. They were devine. Strangely though I was asked how I would like my lamb cooked?
Staff were more than willing but lacked experience. When staff take orders from customers we do not like to see the back if a note pad staring us in the face. There was no 'good evening welcome sir' but instead a "what is your name? ". They did not suggest for us to have a drink in the bar before dinner. We had to suggest it.
Overall there appeared to be a distinct lack of training, maturity and an annoying language barrier with most of the staff members. It is the little things that count. I mean at a 5 star restaurant you do not put a plate down in front of a customer leaving a thumb print on the plate. That is bad.
I can be critical when I am paying premium prices for a room and meal. We were not staying at a Best Western or eating at the local steak house.
I would stay here again just for the extraordinary view from our room however there needs to be a vast improvement in staff training and service for this hotel to maintain it's 5 star rating.

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Leon S

Dear Valued Guest,

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we failed in some areas to provide you with the service, and attention we are known for especially with your restaurant and front office experiences.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Beautiful property and excellent service. Great breakfast. Only two let-downs. The first, breakfast is served from 8am and given we had to leave at 6.30 for Sydney to be back at work Monday, we couldn't have the second breakfast. They would not offer a refund which given that other hotels (charging a lot less) start breakfast at 6, it seemed a big unfair that we were paying for something I felt we couldn't reasonably access. The second was that we had dinner at the restaurant (which was fine, though nothing close to Darleys next door) and the waitstaff were bizarre. They seemed very poorly trained, uninterested in the food and very inconsistent. One waitress who was about 20 did not tell us the food she was putting on the table and later, when I made a reference to her having to work to on such a beautiful Sunday evening, she said the 'overtime cash makes up for it' which seemed a bit crass for the restaurant we were eating in. Otherwise, it is a beautiful property and highly recommend: it is just that the two points above really stood out.

Room Tip: They all seem to have excellent views. We were in the corner room which I gather is the best though...
1  Thank Robert B

Dear Valued Guest,

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we failed in some areas to provide you with the service, and attention we are known for. The interaction and response from our wait staff was unacceptable and will be followed up.

Group General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
Palais Royale Boutique Hotel
The George Boutique Hotel
The George Boutique Hotel
#3 of 5 in Blackheath

Been to Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!