“A sojourn before work”

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“A sojourn before work”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

A short break before returning to work after 7 weeks leave was in order. The venue was to be close to Sydney and something 'special'. We chose Echoes as it had always interested us and indeed it didn't disappoint.
We checked in on Friday afternoon, after being a tourist with early lunch at Wentworth Falls followed by the attractions at the Scenic Railway. Check in was easy and welcoming. The room was spacious and the view magnificent. We sat a while on our verandah and appreciated how lucky we are to live so close to such a beautiful place. We then ventured upstairs at 4.30pm to have a drink on the verandah outside the bar. Sadly though the bar didn't open until 5.30pm so we ventured back down to our room to wait until then. On our return we realised we could no longer enjoy the seating outside as the weather was not warm enough so we had our drinks in the bar room (without a fire!).
Later we walked to Darley's restaurant for a meal that was truly fantastic. The venue was superb and the service was attentive without being pompous. Unfortunately my partner became ill (nothing to do with the food) and we had to depart before dessert was eaten. However the staff could see that all was not well and offered assistance if required. They were genuinely concerned and we thank them for this.
Would we go back to Echoes? Yes certainly! Would we go back to Darley's? Yes, in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms good for those with mobility problems. Chose ones with sitting room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ralf B, General Manager at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Echoes Boutique Hotel and Restaurant.

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay, and enjoyed the Facilities and our team that looked after you.

Both Echoes and Darleys are fantastic places, and I think we have a look at the opening time for drinks in the afternoon.

I hope I will be able to welcome you back shortly.

Group General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were checking out places to stay in Katoomba and this one popped up in our Internet search. The view from our room is out of this world! Surprisingly the prices on week nights are significantly lower than on weekends, and we jumped at the opportunity to spend a night there. The room was clean and classy, the dinner sublime and distance to Echo Point was just 15 minutes walk away. We are so glad to have picked Echoes and given another chance, we'd come back again. This is a great choice for a romantic getaway as a couple.

Room Tip: Go for the specials (not weekends) where the prices are great value for money
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SYKN

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed in a cliff view room, which was spacious, elegantly and comfortably furnished and had a gas fireplace, spa bath and small balcony with views. It's a lovely location and a very comfortable stay, smaller and less floral and chintzy than the adjacent sister hotel Lillianfels, where we have also stayed. We ate at the hotel restaurant, liking convenience, but it is very overpriced (min 2 courses for $85pp) and not great quality. I'd stay here again, but eat elsewhere.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ralf B, General Manager at Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It’s fantastic to read that you liked the Hotel facilities. I am disappointed about your dining experience, and will definitely look into this, as we are known for great food and service.

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Just back from three nights at Echoes with my partner. Room was lovely (yes, a little cosy but perfectly comfortable). View was incredible, service excellent, breakfast 10/10. Had a great dinner at echoes restaurant and a brilliant treatment at lilianfels spa. Beautiful experience.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Stacysydney
Dear Valued Guest,

It’s fantastic to read that you had a great experience. The Hotel and the location is just great, and all of us strive to provide you with the best experience every time.

I hope you will be back soon.

Mwanza Region, Tanzania
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

First let me stress that my wife and I stayed at Echoes at the start of July, when temperatures dropped to 2-4°C overnight. However, even using the gas fire in the room, it was still cold enough to wake us during the night. I also question a design which forces you to keep a gas fire running while you sleep. That can't be a safe idea. The installed underfloor heating was ineffective.
Other than being kept too bright by external lights, our room was otherwise very comfortable and spacious, and the view over the escarpment was spectacular.
The Echoes restaurant is a rather elegantly designed room, with a central log fire in the cosy bar area that makes you feel like snuggling up with a cognac. However our meal was adequate rather than being a superior dining experience as advertised. The menu itself has a good mix of dishes but the quality of the meals delivered was lacking. One guineafowl dish was tough as old boots. 2 course set meal with multiple choices was $85, 3 courses was $110. If you only have one night at Echoes hotel then I suggest you go next door to Darleys restaurant, where the food is in a different class, the service is excellent and the 3-course set menu is only $15 per head more. In the bar area later there was a lot of noise from staff setting up for next day's breakfast, which wrecked the cosiness.
Service at the hotel in general was good, although restaurant service was a little inattentive.
Overall, the hotel is a nice place with great location and views, but there were a few too many things wrong or at least not done well enough for it to live up to the 'boutique' tag.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Shedheadabroad
Dear Valued Guest,

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we did not meet your expectation. As I remember your stay from our Duty manager log book, I can assure you that the whole heating system has been checked, and some adjustments have been done to it to ensure adequate heating is provided to all rooms.

I will follow up with the Chef and service team to investigate to issues raised.
Please accept my apologies, and I hope I can welcome you back to Echoes in the near future.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

The food was lovely, the deserts were the highlight of the night. The kids had a great night too, the only downside was the seating we were seated next to the kitchen and basically outside the restaurant. The service was not the best either, he kept trying to correct our pronunciation of scallops but he wasn't pronunciating it correctly himself, we felt a bit neglected where we were sitting. I would insist on getting a table in the actual restaurant if I was to go again, we missed out on the great view, that's why we went in the first place.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Hermyleen
Dear Valued Guest,

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we did not meet your expectation, and that you missed out on the views.

I will follow up with my Restaurant manager to ensure we retrain some of the staff, in regards to your customer service issue.

Huskisson, Australia
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The food and service was great, but the portion sizes were very small and subsequently poor value for money. We are not big eaters and do not expect oversized 'pub' meals, but we were very under-whelmed with the size of food we were served. To be specific, my eye fillet came with 2 asparagus twigs no bigger than half the size of a pinky finger and a carrot stick that resembled a match stick. The cocktail menu was shockingly over priced too. $25-30 for a cocktail is ridiculous.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alan D
Dear Valued Guest,

I am disappointed to read that you felt our portion size was too small and the food and the cocktails are overpriced.

I have never come across any feedback re small portions, but will of course investigate your concern. Our cocktail, as well as all other drinks are priced in line with other Fine dining venues around, but I will review the prices to see if there is anything out of the ordinary on the list.

I hope you will accept my apologies, and we can welcome you back to Echoes in the near future.

Group General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
Mountain Heritage
#5 of 15 in Katoomba
Palais Royale Blue Mountains
Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains

Been to Echoes Boutique Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!