“Sell, sell, sell!”

Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Reviewed August 6, 2007

Unfortunately, our stay at this hotel was marred by an incident on our final night in the hotel. We were kept awake by some other 'corporate' guests having a rare old time in the games room until the small hours. I did call the night porter a few times to ask them to stop, but nothing seemed to get done. This is quite unfortunate as up to that point we had had a marvellous time - in fact we had only planned to stay 2 nights and stayed a third because we were enjoying ourselves so much.

I really don't think a corporate conference hotel is compatible with the marketing of Lilianfels as a uniquely luxurious and romantic experience. We certainly didn't expect to be sharing the hotel with what amounted to being a stag party! It certainly spoiled our stay - which was part of our honeymoon. This was not the experience we expected, given that this hotel is listed in the 1000 places to see before you die travel book.

The front desk did discount our stay by cancelling the charge for the afternoon tea we had had, however, this was marred as an experience anyway by the hordes of business people charging about the lounge with mobile phones, blackberry PDA's and laptops - urging each other on to achieve ever greater sales targets.

Again this was hardly, how is it described - a boutique experience, capturing the timeless elegance of a bygone era. Check when booking to make sure there isn't a sales conference going on...

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tawny-Frogmouth

Reviewed June 27, 2007

I was fortunate enough to have been taken to Lillianfels for a surprise weekend away for my birthday by my boyfriend...It was perfect for a winter weekend break from Sydney and also the perfect place to go for a romantic getaway having not seen each other for 3 weeks. The staff were extremely helpful, food excellent (highly recommend Darleys restaurant) and surroundings luxurious.. I highly recommend packing a bottle of champagne and booking a room with a spa bath- the perfect way to relax on a winter afternoon following a long walk! Can't wait to go back....

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2007

This was the nicest accomodation I have ever stayed in, and set the benchmark for all others, to be compared against. The service, the food, the colonial english feel all contrinuted to an enduring memory that will last a lifetime. My only criticism would have to be some of the other, older pompous guests who could constantly be heard complaining about the most insignificant of details such as "cake served with a teaspoon instead of a pastry fork, how obsurd".

Sitting by an open fire in a comfortable old leather chair with a snifter of armagnac was increadibly relaxing and I hope to return soon.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2007

What can I say about Lillianfels that hasn’t already been said we stayed last year and have only just done this trip report!

We were recommended by a work colleague to visit Lillianfels and Blue Mountains, this was one of the best recommendations I’ve ever had. All the staff was courteous and polite from reception to Steveo (this chap is a great character) bar staff brilliant they made me daughter a special strawberry cocktail. We did a good walk around Echoes Point and 3 Sisters and had a spa treatment when we got back, again nothing to complain about there. My teenage girls had their own twin bedroom and ordered room service, a bit slow but worth the wait my girls said. The hotel is a little pricey but in my opinion worth it as Lillianfels was very homely and friendly.
I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to Australia and Lillianfels.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2007

Booked a last minute getaway for the in-laws whilst they were out visiting us in Oz from the UK. Was a treat for their 50th birthday as well as a relax for us. Found Lilianfels and heard a lot about the quality and luxury of the hotel and Blue Mountans location. Everything lived up to the expectatons. Staff were faultless, service second to none and views over the mountains were spectacular. Three sisters is literally a 2 minute walk away too. Highly reccomend teas in the lounge bar, the amerato dream cockail (thanks, bar manager Matthew) and the walk over to Scenic World. If you get chance, go on the old mine railway which is the steepest track (almost vertcal) in the world and spend time in the hotel spa. Steam rooms, sauna, jacuzzi, pool (both indors and outside - heated). Only regret is that we didn't book up for an extra night.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2007

We stayed at Lilianfels back at the end of December after a few nights in Sydney. The drive from Sydney is really easy and only takes about 2 hours. The Blue Mountains are just stunning and the hotel is only a short walk from Echoes Point/ 3 Sisters. I absolutely
loved the Blue Mountains - so relaxing, beautiful with such clean air. We were pleased with the hotel. The rooms were comfortable, the staff were not too stuffy and the location was excellent. The view from our room was ok - we booked a Valley view room - I thought it was going to be amazing but it was obstructed with trees. We never ate at the hotel but found a wonderful Italian restaurant - cannot remember the name, but its on the main highstreet (as you drive up from the hotel its near the top on the right hand side). Cocktails at the hotel are amazing. The head bar man has invented several of his own ones that are really good. I would also recommend going to Wentworth Falls - the views are amazing. I would probably avoid Scenic World. We went and the queues were quite long - the Blue Mountains are so vast that it didn't seem necessary to pay for views that can be seen everywhere. I would love to go back the Blue Mountains and would def stay at Lilianfels again.

Stayed: December 2006
Reviewed April 29, 2007

After reading so many great reviews about Lilianfels I just had to check it out. Stayed there for two nights and whilst it was a little pricy, it probably was only a little more costly than some very average hotels in Sydney. We got the best price directly from the hotel and then used a discount voucher through the Entertainment Book. This worked out cheaper than any internet price. The place is absolutely gorgeous and very luxurious. The beds were so comfortable that my partner who suffers from a bad back had the best two nights sleep in ages. The thing that really stands out with this place is the staff. They were all so attentive, highly professional and really friendly. They made us feel really special. The only letdown for me was Darley’s restaurant but that was probably more to do with my choice on the menu. My partner loved his meal and said he would dine there again. I think the prices were way over the top but I noticed that most top-end restaurants in the Blue Mountains were about the same. I loved my whole stay at Lilianfels and would definitely go there again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JMPerth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
Mountain Heritage
Mountain Heritage
#5 of 15 in Katoomba
Palais Royale Boutique Hotel

Been to Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains? Share your experiences!