“Not cheap but not nasty”

Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
snelly123
“Not cheap but not nasty”
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Nice stay at this hotel . We found the rooms spacious and staff helpful. As one previous reviewer mentions this place is not cheap but does not deserve the last review. We found it in all a nice stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Polish first
sydney
Reviewed July 3, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend 18-21 June as a quick getaway from the city. Whenever we stay in the Blue Mountains we always choose Lilianfels, except for that one lapse in judgement when we stayed elsewhere (never ever again).

From the minute we pulled in we felt as though we were special guests. Our checkin was seamless and even though the receptionist had a "trainee" badge on, we didn't niotice anything out of sync. Reception was crowded with guests checking out and although we were slightly early checking in, we were given our room and escorted to the lift. We were greeted cordially by everyone we encountered and wished a good day. Very friendly but not overbearing staff.

Our room was on the 2nd floor and had a fabulous unobstructed view of the valley outside. It's the small personal touches that made us feel comfortable and welcomed. A lovely card welcoming us back to the hotel and plate of sweets welcomed our entrance. There must be a record of our preferences as my husband had very firm pillows on his side while my side had the pre-requisite 4 pillows that I prefer.

The room was spotless and we can't fault one thing in the bathroom or separate lounge room.

There were 2 highlights to our stay:
The first was our dinner at Darley's. While some may find the menu limited and the 3 course requirement arrogant, it is faultless. I have a number of food allergies which are strange to say the least, but the most troublesome one would be an allergy to onions. As most restaurants, and indeed French style cooking, tends to rely heavily on shallots, onions and the like, I was a bit nervous about approaching the menu and wondering if there would be someting suitable. When mentioning my allergy to the waitress, she reviewed every selection on the menu for me and indicated which would be allergy free for me. Unfortunately, I had my heart set on the lamb dish and I was doomed to disappointment as she explained even the jus had been cooked with shallots. However, she went off to speak with the chef and on return, confirmed that he would be able to cook a special dish for me of lamb, root vegetables and potato mash. I was given a specially made appetiser and entree as well.. The service was absolutely impeccable, the food divine and much to my husband's disappointment, the best potato mash I have ever tried (including his). I have stayed in 5 star hotels and eaten at some of the best restuarants and this has to be up there with the food quality and service. I have had others claim onion free food only to suffer for the lie it was later on but Darley's chef and wait staff are to be commended on the outstanding service they provided me that night. Oh and my husband (who can eat anything without recourse and does) was over the moon with the venison dish.

The 2nd highlight was the spa experience.
The ladies in the spa are thoughtful, professional and friendly. The massage was so relaxing I did fall asleep for a spell. The spa at Lilianfels has never failed to live up to the best massages ever and this time I indulged in a facial as well. The atmosphere and the soothing tones was just what I needed to get over the stress of the past few months. The only thing I would say about the spa though was there was a moment when another guest brought a child in that decided to have a tanty. I couldn't tell if it was in the locker room and the sound carried or if it was just outside the door. Unfortunately, my lady needed to excuse herself to quiet the guest but as I was in such a deep relaxation, it didn't phase me as it may have done others.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else in the mountains.

Sydney, Aust
Reviewed July 3, 2010

I was worried things might have changed since this hotel changed hands in Jan 2010, but there was no need. After checking TripAdvisor and seeing some recent good reviews, I found a good, discounted room rate and booked a two night get-away. We have stayed here four or five times before and love the location, the ambience of a small, unique hotel, the rooms and the service, and little has changed. Still the same warm, low-key, Aussie welcome and service. Some familiar faces, always a delight to see, and great rooms. Yes, things have changed, but they are minor. I have seen on TripAdvisor complaints about the loss of the a la carte menu for in-house breakfast, but noted on the first morning people were ordering whatever they wanted, instead of helping themselves to the buffet. This is a five-star establishment, and so you can ask for whatever you like - access to the steam room before 10am during the week? No problem, just ask. Poached eggs for breakfast? No problem, just ask. And if you arrive by 5.30pm on a Friday night, you can have complimentary drinks with the Managing Director and have a frank discussion with him about his hotel, his wonderful staff, his plans for the Hydro Majestic and who he thinks will win the World Cup. He is a very clever person who has great vision for the hotel and believes in the personal touches a small hotel can provide. Expect to see some wonderful ideas come to fruition over the next year or so. This is a great place to rest, get some wonderful mountain air and leave the city version of yourself behind.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed July 2, 2010

check your credit card statments as they charged me without authorisation and no information at all. Got no answer on my written complaint. They also messd up our reservation and we got not the room we have paid for. The ownership has changed and you can feel it - service is below average and compared to the price paid not worth the money - never again and defintly no recommandation

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank heebmi
London UK
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We stayed at the Lilianfels for two nights on our honeymoon trip to Australia. We arrived in the evening when it was misty, which is not the weather you want in the Blue Mountains!! But in the morning, when the mist had cleared, it was clear just what a stunning location for a hotel. We were upgraded to a corner suite which was simply perfect. The hotel is lovely all around, the concierge is super helpful, the staff are all very pleasant, its got a fab pool and just has a very calm, welcoming ambience. The restaurants onsite are great, we had a steak dinner which was great Aussie food and the breakfasts were extensive. The hotel even packed us a picnic for our morning adventure down into the valley. All in all a terrific hotel, probably the best we stayed in during our trip. Not a cheap stay but worth every penny.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TeamAmerica
Sydney
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I was thrilled that we chose our 3 day break to be at Lilianfels. What a lovely, relaxing experience. The hotel has a beautiful ambiance, the service was very good, rooms very comfortable , valet parking and my husband even had a massage which he enjoyed. It was beautiful to sit in the loungeroon next to the fire place listening to the pianao and drinking lovely coffee. We look forward to returning for another great experince soon. Keep up the good work.

Sydney
Reviewed June 20, 2010

I am a conference organiser based in Sydney, Australia and since learning of changes in management at most Blue Mountains hotels, have been reluctant to take my clients there until I was convinced that there was still a hotel with the highest standards of service and facilities available in the region. I have recently returned from taking a high profile Sydney based Public Relations firm with very discerning tastes and expectations to Lilianfels Blue Mountains and am thrilled to say that it was an outstanding experience in every way. My group of 35 thoroughly enjoyed themselves from arrival to departure. The comfortable, spacious accommodation, cozy conference rooms, excellent recreational facilites and outstanding food and beverage options made this a winning choice and I would not hesitate to recommend it to other clients. Robert - the hotel's convention executive who has been at the hotel for many years - is delightful to deal with and has the quickest response time of possibly every hotel I have worked with. He has a solution to every query and first rate product knowledge of both his own hotel and the region. I am a raving fan and will be back - with clients in tow!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
Mountain Heritage
Mountain Heritage
#5 of 15 in Katoomba
Palais Royale Blue Mountains

Been to Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains? Share your experiences!