“Beautiful Hotel and surrounding, excellent and attentive staff”

Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Reviewed May 24, 2009

My husband and I recently visited Lilianfels Hotel in the Blue Mountains, we arrived early and we were greeted by a Duty Manager by the name of Danial - who in fact checked us in, he explained that our room was not quite ready and offered to store our luggage, sit down in the beautiful sitting area and offered us a complimentary cup of coffee while we waited, we were exhausted when we arrived after a long flight, and took advantage of his offer. We were escorted to the luxurious lounge area, which overlooked a well manicured garden and lovely outdoor settings. Within moments we were approached by a lovely young lady who took out order for coffee.

Danial kept us informed of the progress of our room, he obviously noted the bags under my eyes, and offerred for me to perhaps rest in another room while we were waiting for ours, although a generous offer, I declined.
When our room became ready, Danial personally took us to what I can only describe as a luxurious and well appointed room which had a lovely outlook, he took time to show us where everything was and how it worked, we were immediately made feel at home.

Still quite exhausted even after taking a nap on bed that can only be describe as 'heaven', we went down to dinner. I had one or two small issues with the service, the restaurant was very busy but I feel that due to my fatigue I blew things out of proportion and found myself feeling very upset. I am sure my husband must have been embarrassed. One of the supervisors went and got the Duty Manager so that I could discuss the issues that I had - Danial arrived to our table and listened with genuine concern to my problems, I found myself in tears (not through any fault of the Hotel), I remember looking around and out the door to the foyer and noticed just how busy the Hotel was, but Danial sat down next to me placed his hand on my shoulder and asked if I would be more comfortable in the Lounge area - He left and returned a short time later and took us too a lovely private table and took my order, within a short time my food was in front of me, a complimentary glass of Champers was delivered with Danial's compliments.

Both my husband and I had recently lost a sister and my mum so this trip was very important to us - and with the help from my knight in shining armour Danial and the friendly and attentive staff employed at this magnificent hotel our stay was made so very special - I could not recommend Lilianfels more strongly to anyone who wants to be treated as a welcomed friend.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains

Reviewed May 22, 2009

I have just returned from a three night stay at Lilianfels on business and I have to say it was the best business trip I have every had! The hotel is brilliantly situated -out of the garden gate and into the blue mountains.
The staff are warm welcoming and efficient, especially Patrick the guest relations guy.
The bed were just so warm and snuggly - I could have stayed in it all day!
I loved the pool as well and for the most time I had it to myself every time I used it. Ijust loved this hotel, and it takes a LOT to keep me happy, I stay in hotels 2-3 nights a week and this is the first one I can really really say tick ALL the boxes. If you book this hotel rest assured you will have a fantastic time - I cannot wait to go back............

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 15, 2009

Beatiful property. Lovely rooms. Stayed in one of their suites with an interconnecting King room. Cosy and nice. Room was clean, housekeeping and room service efficient. Everything was as it was expected. High standards across the board.

Couple of reasons for the lack of five stars. The breakfast has limited selection and if the breakfast lounge is full, expect a long wait for anything you have ordered. While people at the hotel where very efficient and pleasant, I got the distinct impression at least in the breakfast lounge that they was no real natural warmth and the staff were a bit snooty.

Don't think I would go back. I think once is enough.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank CCSA
GRaubenheimer, Hotel Manager at Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2009

I am pleased to note that for the most part you found our hotel up to the standards as should be expected but, concerned to note that you had some issues at breakfast. We have over the last few months put in a new and exciting a la carte breakfast and have streamlined the service aspect of breakfast to ensure smooth, fast yet welcoming and warm service but on this occasion it seems to not have met that mark and for this I am truly sorry. I would very much like to speak to this guest to see where the exact issues were in order for us to gain back some credibility in their eyes but more importantly to ensure that this does not re occur. Please be assured that we will indeed do everything we are able to, to make sure that should they choose to return, their total stay, including the breakfast, will be to the standard they would expect from a five star establishment.
Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss this.
Grant Raubenheimer
Hotel Manager

Reviewed May 8, 2009

A 2 night stay as return guests for a weekend in April. Despite 98% occupancy the service from reception to housekeeping to restaurants to concierge - was faultless! Best service of any of our stays there and anywhere else in australia in the past 12 months. Hats off to Hugh dining experience was also very special. We even were served our lunch one day in the reading room. very relaxing and thoroughly recommended for a short break. It seems they have picked up some good staff from the recent downturns of the mercure and fairmont. Keep it up guys!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Whiskie8
Reviewed May 5, 2009

We stayed at Lilianfels for a special birthday celebration. Having stayed at the Observatory Hotel (part of the Orient-Express groups) we had high expectations. The room was lovely, albeit not as luxurious as the Observatory, and the views amazing. The Day Spa is just wonderful, especially with the relaxing sitting area. Concierge was very friendly and helpful.

Sadly, however, at lunch time on the first day, the food in the lounge came out stone cold, service was appalling and High Tea was extremely average for the price. In fact, it wasn't just our food that was spoiled, but also the table next to us, sent their meal back to the kitchen for the same reason.

We had dinner at Darley's which was by contrast superb and was by far the best part of our stay. The cuisine was fantastic and service was everything you would expect in a 5 star establishment; it certainly deserves it's 2 Hat rating.

However, disappointment prevailed again the next morning with Breakfast in the Hotel's main dining room (not Darley's), my husband's meal came out with a hair in it. Unlike last time, the waitress did handle the situation professionally and apologetically. But for such a special occasion and the price, we were sorely disappointed.

The kitchen and staff between Lilianfels and Darley's must be quite separate, and it would be a shame for Darley's (& The Observatory) to lose any credibility on account of Lilianfels which just isn't up to the same standard.

We did mention our disappointment to the reception staff when we left, but there really was not much acknowledgment their end, in terms of a bill reduction or even an apology.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sour_dour
GRaubenheimer, Manager at Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2009

I am very pleased that these are regular guests of Orient Express Hotels and that they had chosen to stay with us. I do value any feedback and on the rare occasion where a mistake is made, we do try and put measures in place to ensure that despite these little hiccups all of our guests leave with fantastic memories. In this regard, I am glad that our guests enjoyed their spa experience, dinner in Darley’s and that our concierge team was able to assist them during their stay. I am however very disappointed that these guests had such an unfortunate stay. I make no excuse or even attempt to justify our short comings on this occasion, and I have attempted to check back on records in order to contact the guests directly to resolve the situation to their satisfaction, however to no avail. It is always sad that we are unable to turn back the clock and whilst we aim at the highest standards and certainly we have a reputation for delivering on this, sadly problems can arise, however once aware, every effort is made to resolve these problems to the guests complete satisfaction.

Reviewed May 2, 2009

I agree with all of the reviews below in terms of luxury, location, staff etc. We had a wonderful but very expensive meal at Darleys, the in house restaurant.
But - it is very expensive. Drinks in the lounge area were an outrageous price and wine in the restaurant was very expensive. I know restaurants always do this with wine, but this was over the top. Our package included breakfast, but we had to pay extra to get coffee because my husband wanted a 'long black' (espresso with added water) rather than filter coffee!
Also - we were there mid week at the end of April & the atmosphere was very staid. We are not young ravers (early 50's), but we felt as if we were in a stuffy London club full of retired gentry. Probably different at weekends, as I understand it is a popular weekend destination from Sydney.
it is a beautiful place in a fantastic location with great staff, but the atmosphere was not right for us.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2009

We stayed here with our then 6 week old baby boy. The staff were very welcoming and attentive. The hotel was a perfect choice for a relaxing weekend away. The property is beautiful. Perfect location in the blue mountains. Our room was large and romantically decorated. We enjoyed simple things, such as relaxing in the lounge, and walking in the grounds and local environment. The BBQ on the lawn was surprisingly tasty and despite having to don the apron and cook it up ourselves was very enjoyable and good value. We only left the hotel grounds three times over our stay, which was testament to how lovely the hotel is. My only regret was that our stay was too short. We could have easily spent a week here. We got a fantastic rate on last minute website. Even though this is by far our favourite hotel we have stayed in Australia (The Observatory in Sydney would be a close second), i could not justify staying here if the normal rates were charged, very expensive for Australia. Interestingly, the majority of clientele that weekend appeared to be british and american.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Suz_Cols
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
Mountain Heritage
Mountain Heritage
#5 of 15 in Katoomba
Palais Royale Blue Mountains

Been to Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains? Share your experiences!