“Nice hotel, but I didn't think the service was great” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa

Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Sydney, Australia
“Nice hotel, but I didn't think the service was great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a lovely location and I found it easy to get around the area to do a couple of walks and some sightseeing.

The negatives for me were:

- breakfast. I paid $28 dollars for what was supposed to be an 'early bird' price, but this is the same price as advertised in the room. Not sure if I missed something.... There was a $35 dollar breakfast mentioned in the room (full breakfast, eggs cooked to order, porridge) but none of these things were mentioned as being available in the breakfast room. What is this early bird price supposed to include? Compared with other hotels I've stayed in, the buffet wasn't very impressive.

- some of the staff were very good (especially on reception), but others did not seem very attentive e.g. I had to chase someone down on a couple of occasions to get a menu or another drink. I was by myself and the groups staying at the same time appeared to be getting much more attention!

- housekeeping seemed to take place quite late in the day.

- the bed in the room next to mine was very squeaky...!

• Stayed July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ralf B, General Manager at Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Resort and Spa. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the wonderful location and many walks available on our doorstep.

We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with some elements of your stay.

We are in the process of doing a review & will investigate some of the points you mentioned about breakfast service, however we feel our early bird offering of $28 & the discount of $7 for pre-purchase is competitively priced compared to other properties in the region in the bigger city properties.

We will investigate with our team and housekeeping staff about the delay in your room clean.

We look forward to resolving some of these issues on your behalf and welcoming you once again at Lilianfels.

Group General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Polish first
Penrith, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

My husband and I were part of a party of eight who had booked for the Christmas in July dinner. For the price of $90.00 per head and a drink bill of $75.00 per couple it certainly wasn't value for money. The food was less than acceptable, being a buffet which offered very little selection of food that in two circumstances that I knew of, ran out in two trays of food and the gravy was non existent. When we asked the group of four staff member that were huddled near the door if they could top up the food, we were met with a less than enthusiastic response. The sweets were an even further disappointment with a selection of store bought fruit mince pies, a chocolate mousse and a cold pudding, who serves cold pudding at a Christmas dinner? We had to constantly ask staff to top up the food, and at no time did we see the staff check the food or even ask if we needed more drinks.
We were quite excited about the prospect of having a lovely dinner at Lilianfels and came out of there completely disappointed and feeling generally ripped off big time! Will never go there again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
10 Thank Marg W

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Resort and Spa.

We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our Yulefest celebration & dinner.

Our buffet was extensive and included fresh seafood, roasted meats & deserts, the only other feedback we have received from the 250+ Guests that dined with us has been positive.

We will investigate with our food & Beverage Team team and would like to contact you to obtain further details.

We look forward to resolving some of these issues on your behalf and welcoming you and your friends once again at Lilianfels.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

This my second stay at the resort and I was highly disappointed this time.

When I arrived there was no parking and I had to park in paid parking on the street when I was advised there was free parking in the resort complex.

I booked to eat at both Darleys and Echoes over the two nights and the first night Echoes was Fantastic and the service excellent, thereafter it went pear shaped.

The room I was put in (Room 123) was right at the stairwell and the noise from a ladies party of about 50 people was shocking, we could not sleep at all until very early Saturday morning when the ladies decided to go to sleep.

On Saturday, the breakfast was great and we went out for the morning and came back at lunch time only to find there was no room in the lounge area as day visitors had come for High Tea and taken up all the couches and chairs. I think this is unfair as I had paid a premium to stay overnight and should have been able to enjoy the lounge area during the day.

Saturday night arrives and my wife goes for a bath and the water is only luke warm and she cannot have an enjoyable bath. I go for a shower and it was also luke warm which is unacceptable as the night before it was nice and hot. I did complain and the front desk said they would look into it and get back to me. I heard nothing back but the water was hot again the next morning. Again this is unacceptable when you pay this amount of money.

We then go for dinner at Darleys and there is a party of 50 people from the World Presidents Organisation there and the noise was terrible as it was their xmas in July party and they felt they could make as much noise as they wished. We had prepaid for the dinner so we ate and got out in 45 minutes as it was not a comfortable environment due to the noise levels. Great waste of $220 on a dinner when we did not even order deserts due to the noise even though we had paid for them. I also think the lady serving us was not professional compared to the lady at Echoes the night before.

That night again, we could not sleep due to the noise levels (might be because they put us in a room next to the stairs on level 1) which is not fair.

As this was our second time at the hotel I had certain expectations which were not met and the experience is definitely not worth the money I paid.

It would be good to get a response from the hotel about why we were treated this way, my email address is ricky@dalbianco.com

Room Tip: Don't be next to the stairwell
2 Thank Ricky D
Dear RickyD,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Resort and Spa.

We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay.

As per our recent telephone conversation we apologize and would like to offer you a discount off your next stay as compensation.

We encourage Guests to contact our Front Desk & Food & Beverage staff to assist in requesting a room or table move if they feel it is too noisy. Unfortunately we did not receive notification from you about the noise issues in your room or at dinner until you had checked out.

We have updated your Guest profile accordingly to ensure your next stay is an enjoyable one.

Once again we apologize for any inconvenience caused and look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort.

Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

Lilianfels is very well located near the Three Sisters and has great staff and facilities. The restaurant Darleys is very good and has a very good local wine list Not cheap but well worth the price and very comfortable

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Resort and Spa.

We are happy to hear that you & your enjoyed your recent stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming both you again at Lilianfels soon.

Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stayed here for three nights in the mini mini saddle suite. Lovely suite with great view of the Jamison Valley. Arrived to handwritten welcome from manager and a nice jar of hotel made Jam.
This is a one bedroom suite on the second floor. Our daughter was placed close to our suite in a deluxe room and her room was huge. We loved this olde world hotel with so much character. House keeping did a terrific job and the complimentary capsule coffee machine was great. Breakfast at $35 a head was good. Daughter wanted continental breakfast but there was no option so had to pay full price for a small bowl of fruit and a yoghurt.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank pakaxx

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Resort and Spa.

We are happy to hear that you & your family enjoyed your recent stay with us, making the most of the beautiful mini mini suite.

It was also great to hear that you enjoyed the character of the hotel and its special touches in the spacious rooms & suites like complimentary coffee pod machines etc.

We are sorry to hear that your Daughter only had time to enjoy the continental selection for breakfast when there are so many other hot items to enjoy on the menu.

We look forward to welcoming both you and your family back again at Lilianfels soon.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

We found this hotel to be nice but very average and not worth the money. The hotel was fully booked and there is only a limited amount of free parking. They charged $15 for valet parking. The decor is dated which works in nice with the feel of the hotel however the amenities and rooms are very basic with nothing over and above to give you a luxury feel. The shower head and water pressure were hopeless. Breakfast is probably what you would expect from a 3 star hotel, stinging you for an additional $5 for a real coffee. The day spa was average, nothing spectacular. We were disappointed that the indoor heated pool was cold and the only spas/saunas are located in the separate men and women's change rooms. The only 5 star part of the hotel is Darley Restaurant, which was amazing, but you don't need to stay at the hotel to experience that!!! We felt disappointed by what the hotel promises and just doesn't deliver!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dazza2210

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Resort and Spa.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent dining experience at our hatted restaurant Darley's.

We are disappointed to hear that some of the other aspects of your stay did not live up to your expectations.

Our Valet parking at $15 per stay not vehicle is exceptionally good value both in the Blue Mts as and compared to many other 5 star properties in the city where Valet parking is more than double.

We are sorry to hear that the heritage styling in the rooms that included Wedgewood wallpaper and canopy styled beds with brand new mattresses, bases and marble bathrooms did not appeal.

Our Appelles in room amenity range often sells out in our gift wall area so we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy these products in room.

At peak periods hotels around the region can suffer from slightly weaker shower and water pressure due to higher occupancy.

We are currently reviewing our breakfast offering but feel that at $28 pre-purchased or $35 for the buffet, it is exceptionally good value for money.

The pool is set to a standard temperature of 29 degrees but this can fluctuate depending on the weather temperature.

We look forward to welcoming both you back again at Lilianfels soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

Me and my husband stayed at Lilianfels for 2 nights. I booked the winter package, but as soon as I checked in I didn't liked our view so I ask for an upgrade if they have available. One of the front line staff showed us a deluxe valley view and it's worth it. But we stayed on level 1 so maybe ask if they have available in level 2. While booking I included the buffet breakfast for $28 per person but I think the normal price is $35. The buffet was excellent and one of the staff in particular but I forgot her name, and oh if you order cappuccino or latte there's extra charge but normal coffee is free. Me and my husband tried the spa massage and it was great! Three sisters is walking distance as well. Over all I recommend this property.

• Stayed July 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Resort and Spa.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, making the most of the facilities and Day Spa as well as the Buffet Breakfast.

It was also great to hear that you enjoyed walking to the near bye Three Sisters at Echo point.

Group General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
#5 of 15 in Katoomba
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
Palais Royale Blue Mountains

Been to Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!