“Nice hotel but terrible stuff” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Stockholm, Sweden
“Nice hotel but terrible stuff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

When we arrived to this hotel 29:th december we were met by a receptionstaff that was desinterested and impolite.
To give one example; the hotels own restaurant was closed on sundays so we asked them to book a table for dinner at neighbor hotel called Eccoes. After a few minutes we were informed that it was fully booked in this restaurant and we were offerd a table in the hotel bar instead. When I later personally walked to Eccoes an talk to them it was not any problem to do a reservation for this evening. In fact when we ate dinner at least 50% of the table was free!
And this was unfortunately not the only time the staff behaved strange and inpolite. The concierge was the only person we met in Lilianfels that behaved as You can expect in a place like this.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Ben R
Ralf B, General Manager at Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort and Spa.

I am sorry to hear that your experience was not what we are known for. I would like to discuss you comments with you in greater detail, and hope that you would be able to send me your contact detail via email.

gm@escarpmentgroup.com.au

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Polish first
Warwickshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

This hotel does not live up to expectations. We stayed 4 nights. Arrived around 1pm on a very hot day to be told in no uncertain terms that book in was 3pm. What were we supposed to do, go out and sit in the car till then ? We had 3 rooms and any experienced receptionist would have suggested that they would try to get one of our rooms fast tracked and invite us to relax in the lounges. The rooms are chintzy but a bit shabby. Obvious stains on the carpets which were unnerving when we realised that pets were allowed. Like a Ryanair flight everything was an extra. No complimentary water , or slippers and threadbare robes. The hotel was full of children so the pool was a far from relaxing experience. Plenty of rules about no jumping or diving but no will to enforce them. 20 loungers to serve an 85 room hotel so many people sitting on the floor. Pool service attracted 10$ charge to bring tray but this was then left all afternoon attracting flies . Reception proudly announced that the pool was unattended presumably meaning no life guard but this also meant that no one checked the availability of clean towels or the tidying of used towels or indeed ventured down there at all unless summoned to serve food. No shower or toilet near the pool. Quite insanitary that guests are compelled to return to their room to shower or else use the pool sweaty and covered in sun lotions. One wonders why they installed an "infinity" pool which has no view and looks directly into a hedge . The gym has an eclectic mix of equipment and apparently was also a no go area for staff as the water cooler was empty and the bin was full of used cups for our entire stay . Breakfast was served in a noisy, canteen ambiance. Queues for a table every morning as inadequate provision. Staff rushed off their feet and clattering about add to the stress . Christmas decorations still up on 7th jan. Tiny, mean paper napkins. Squeeze your own fresh orange juice in a contraption requiring personal strength and determination . What next? Cook your own breakfast ? Some breakfast coffees were an extra charge. Whole experience of penny pinching meanness and let's be clear this is supposed to be an luxury spa hotel and it is expensive. Some of the individual staff were charming and very helpful but the management seem to be trying to economise and many people were complaining. On a positive note the meal at echoes was excellent food and service .

Room Tip: Rooms vary a lot . Ours were supposed to be deluxe valley view but only just satisfied thus descript...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JeJackson

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We booked a last minute weekend away to celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary. We really needed a break after a very stressful Christmas/ New Year period. We were definitely not disappointed the resort itself was just beautiful, the decor reflected peace and elegance. From the moment we stepped into the foyer we were greeted by friendly and helpful staff eager to make our stay memorable. We dined at Darley's, which again was an experience we will never forget, the food was absolutely delicious and the service second to none. I still have a flower the Maitre'D gave me as we left, sitting in a vase at home to remind me of an absolutely magical weekend. We certainly are considering another weekend at Lilianfels and have recommended it to our friends. Thank you, it was superb!

Room Tip: If you are coming to see the Mountains, then a room with a view would be nice.
Dear Valued Guest,

It’s a pleasure to read that you had a great stay, and enjoyed the Facilities and our team that looked after you.

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed with my husband, two nights during the busiest period of the year just after Christmas and before New Year. Parking was tight, but they did open up other areas for the large number of guests, in the end we managed.

The first day we skipped the pool (small but sweet), it was too crowded but that didn't matter too much. The gardens are lovely, a little cottagey and informal. The hydrangeas were blooming and very beautiful.

Although there was no view from our room (just the roadway), the twin (queen size) beds were very comfortable and the room large.

Sad to say that I felt the staff were not very genuine. They play the part of a 5 star resort staff, or I think what they feel people want, but the charade breaks down 'off camera'. I like people to be themselves, not so stiff and formal. There was a marked difference when they spoke among themselves. Certainly the place is very elegant, and it was charming when there were fewer people around, but I did feel that I also had to perform to their expectations...a little judged.

It's an expensive place, and I suppose anywhere other than Australia, guests would dress a little better than the t-shirts and shorts. That's fine, but I think the staff similarly need to be a little more relaxed and friendly.

The housekeeping was the major letdown for me. Dusty and the bathroom fan coated in dust. I had to lay down towels inside the drawers before putting in my clothes. Apart from the dust, it all appeared fairly clean, but who knows. Garbage wasn't emptied... Amenities, when they remembered them, were plentiful and a nice range of toiletries, coffee, hot chocolate and tea bags.

I will say that when mentioned to the staff, it was readily addressed, as were all my comments. It was a good response to some pretty small issues, I know I'm particular about things like this and not the easiest guest.

Room service was good, and they agreed to serve we adults from the children's menu (we'd had a big lunch) - and that was a pleasant surprise. Of the two restaurants, I liked the look of the Darley's menu - and we did consider eating there. It's a set price, so that I think takes away some of the bill shock. Echoes read as too fusion for me, but the restaurant itself looks wonderful, as does Darley's.

Breakfast is a must. Really good although a smallish range. I think with the number of Asian guests that it might be worthwhile management considers adding something Asian like congee - in addition to the home smoked salmon (fantastic!), the best sausages ever (my husband's opinion :) - and the wonderful ham off the bone slices.

I do think too they could stretch to including the latte's and specialty coffees, currently additional to the buffet charge. And the other peeve was squeezing my own fresh orange juice. I don't like the gadget, or the time it takes. Perhaps one of the staff could be assigned this instead, felt a bit of a slap to come to a hotel and squeeze my own...

I do recommend Lilianfels - it is the best in the mountains and the location is wonderful. I'd reconsider traveling there during peak periods, the crowds at the attractions are just overwhelming.

Monique, marvelous Monique, is the exception to the rigid staff. She runs the concierge desk with a warm, genuine concern and great local knowledge. Loved her.

To summarise, if you're looking for the best the mountains offer, this is it. Far superior to the Fairmont and a fabulous position.

Room Tip: There is a very big difference between the 'resort' view (ours was of the roadway) - and the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for all the good points raised, and rest assured the Housekeeping issues have been addressed.

I hope you accept my apologies, and I will be able to welcome you back to Lilianfels in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

It's a charming place and lovely old colonial building (although that is not the main part of the hotel). Staff are friendly and the meals (Echoes and Darleys) were very good. Rooms are large and spacious, decent quality.
Location can't be beaten - a short walk to the lookout and view of the 3 Sisters. Plenty of walks around.

But as with most comments, the price is a little more than you'd hope or expect. I think it reflects the location and the fact there are no comparable places in the near vicinity.
I think it's a bit ambitious to call it 5 star, but def 4.

Would still go back on a room deal at the right price

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Lilianfels is a true historic building with outstanding gardens and updated rooms, yet holding onto that late 1800's period decor. We had a king spa room situated on the second floor corner of the hotel that had a fantastic view of the Jamison Valley (room 213). The spa in the bathroom made the room small but I'm sure the original rooms were even smaller! Not much room to put your toiletry bag….but we managed. The spa toiletries had a pleasant essence and were a nice touch. I'm sure the spa was nice because I observed a few people buying their products in the reception area upon departure. There was a nice buffet for breakfast but it included no coffee or tea. For the price, I was a bit surprised that your first coffee wasn't included and no alternative (even tea bags) were available. Hot water was available but no tea bags….bring your own I guess.
The hotel was within walking distance to Katoomba Cascades and Falls, and Scenic railway and more…. Many hiking options for different fitness levels. The only other negative I have to say is that I thought it was a bit odd that housekeeping had NOT been to our room all day when we came back from our 6 hour hike at 3pm…..good thing we decided to head to the pool instead of take a nap! Seeing other comments about this, it seems that housekeeping has the rule of the roost here and maybe something has to change about that. With a check out of 11 and check in at 3…there should never be a room unmade….especially these days when most people are eco conscious and prefer to reuse their bed linens over the weekend.
All and all, Lilianfels was a treat and it was a joy to experience the historic classy existence of the 1890s.

Room Tip: Second floor front near the corners - room 213 was great!
Dear Valued Guest,

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we did not meet your expectation. We are offering an espresso machine free of charge on the breakfast buffet. I am sorry if this was not communicated to you by our team.

The Housekeeping issue has been addressed, and I am sure you would not find the problem of getting the rooms made up late anymore.

Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

This hotel is very well appointed and has a lot of well trained staff. The overall service is excellent. It is not cheap at a minimum of $ 359 without breakfast but is very nice and has a range of facilities for guests. The hotel's Darley's restaurant has a good reputation but is minimum $95 per person.We dined at a very nice Italian restaurant in Katoomba and really enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. There are a few negatives: they charge for Wi Fi, there is nowhere near enough parking for guests, they charged for an espresso at breakfast. At a minimum daily rate of $359 there should not be any need to charge for WiFi or a coffee at breakfast.

1 Thank peterunderhill34
Dear Valued Guest,

I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we did not meet your expectation. We actually offer free Wi-Fi in the whole Hotel, but you have an option to upgrade to a higher speed at a cost if you wish to do more than read emails or surf the net, and we are offering an espresso machine free of charge on the breakfast buffet. I am sorry if this was not communicated to you by our team.

I hope you accept my apologies, and I will be able to welcome you back to lilianfels in the near future.

gm@escarpmentgroup.com.au
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katoomba
The Carrington Hotel
#5 of 15 in Katoomba
Parklands Country Gardens and Lodges
Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains
Palais Royale Blue Mountains

Been to Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!