“Times have changed ...”

Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Katoomba
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We used to go here every year for a 'long weekend away' -- but sadly it no longer feels like a luxury hotel. Changes we noted on our last stay include:
- No turn down service in the evening
- No complimentary water in the room (this was delivered when the turn down occurred)
- No answer when dialling housekeeping – the call goes to the front desk
- A concierge desk that was not ‘manned’ – we made our requests at the front desk
- Front desk staff checking in guests, answering the phone whilst checking in guests and performing concierge and housekeeping request duties, means that guests standing at the front desk are left standing around. This practice created a line at the front desk -- and the staff did not seem to value the person who is standing in front of them when the phone rings -- but who can blame them when they are expected to be all things to everyone?
- Daily charge for valet parking(!)
- Ala Carte breakfast menu is 'eggs only'
- No salted snacks with drinks in the lounge
In addition to the changes (that staff told us were done to decrease costs to the hotel), the room we were in (155) was in need of a good cleaning – cobwebs in the corners of the room, serious mould in the shower, and the ’air freshener’ sprayed around the room is just tacky. The room was not vacuumed at anytime during our 4-day stay and it's all looking a bit tired.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JohnnJayne_00
Ralf B, General Manager at Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your experience at Lilianfels, Blue Mountains Resort and Spa on Tripadvisor.com

I am disappointed to read that we could not deliver your expectation, and I would like to discuss your concerns in more detail.

I am proud of our product, and the service we deliver. I am very surprised about some things you mentioned.

Please contact me directly on gm@lilianfels.com.au, and I am sure we can win you back as a guest of our resort.

Group General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,700)

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have just returned from a one night stay (Saturday) and had a really wonderful time!

The staff at check-in were very friendly, helpful and relaxed.
Our room was cosy and very comfortable - the bed was lovely. We had a room with a view but unfortunately the weather was so bad we couldn't really see anything at all. The advantage of the bad weather was that we didn't feel obligated to go out, so spent the entire time in the hotel. We wanted to have a spa treatment but it was booked out (will think to book ahead next time!), so we had high tea in the lounge instead. The lounge is inviting and relaxing, the piano player is a really nice touch adding to the ambiance. It's a bit of a shame the fireplaces weren't going but I assume maybe they are in winter (it was a very wintery day though - 10C outside!)

The billiards room looked great, and there is a nice quiet reading room too.

We had dinner at Darleys and it was fantastic!!!!!!!!!
The space is beautiful, food and service to match. Definitely the nicest restaurant I've been to in the Blue Mountains.

After dinner we played board games in the lounge again. It was a bit quieter this time than the afternoon, and there was a wedding going on in another room so there were a couple of times we wanted a drink but couldn't find anyone to order from... but we didn't have to wait too long. Probably a good thing as it kept us from drinking too much :)

We had a wonderful night's sleep and managed to get up in time for breakfast :) Breakfast was good, not spectacular but good. It was quite busy and a few things had run out and the staff seemed a little stressed, but they were on top of things and still attentive and friendly.

I'd love to come back again in summer as the pool looked great and I can imagine the lounge with the doors opened up and sitting outside would also be very nice.

I had a very stressful week last week and this short break at Lilianfels was exactly what I needed. I'm feeling refreshed and ready to battle another big week at work. Thank you Lilianfels!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear valued Guest,

It great to read that you had a good time, and you are planning to come back in summer. I suggest you come back in winter to see the fireplace going, and get the total winter atmosphere of the Blue Mountains at its best.

We at Lilianfels are proud of the fantastic location and facilities and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

we had gone to oz to see our daughter,but decided to go to blue mountains for valentines day.We were only up there overnight and if,no i will re phrase that when we go back,we will need about 5 days.The 3 sisters rocks were awsome and the history behind this very interesting.The hotel was lovely and this also has a history.Could not fault anything about this place .The people very very friendly.This goes down as one of my favourite places.Whoever goes there will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ralf B, General Manager at Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay at Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort and Spa on Tripadvisor.com

It’s with pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you had a pleasant experience at our Lounge restaurant as well

We are proud to provide an exceptional experience, in a fantastic mountain setting, and will look forward to welcome you back to Lilianfels soon.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Hotel decor very colonial in style rather than modern but immaculate & big comfy beds in rooms. No free wifi but 2 PCs in reception so you can pick up e-mails. Excellent breakfasts and pool is lovely. We had bit of an issue with only 1 couple in our party being upgraded which was irritating but complimentary fizz was very nice & luckily we were stopping for only one night! Very good location to 3 sisters

1  Thank Christina M
Ralf B, General Manager at Lilianfels Resort & Spa - Blue Mountains, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort and Spa on Tripadvisor.com

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially as you mentioned the breakfast and the pool. We pride ourselves with exceptional service in a spectacular Mountain setting

We try to upgrade guests if rooms are available, but this is not always possible. I hope I will see you again soon on your next visit to the Blue Mountains.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This lovely hotel has great old world charm. We got a mountain/valley view room which was pretty but the mosquito netting on the windows were a bit of a let down. No turn down service which was surprising given this is a luxury resort collection from SPG. Great dining options. We loved Dalveys.

Dear Valued Guest,

I am great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Darley’s is a fantastic restaurant, in an amazing old charming House, and a must for every traveller to see. We pride ourselves with exceptional service in the middle of a spectacular National Park.

I am surprised about the flyscreens, but will defiantly investigate this further. I hope I will see you again soon on your next visit to the Blue Mountains.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We came to this hotel with a friend from the UK, promising her great things with the reputation that Lilianfels is known to have. We brought our 18-month old with us as we knew the hotel was supposed to be kid-friendly.

In summary, these are the things we were disappointed with:

- extra charges for everything! I would have rather paid extra for the rooms, instead of charges for using a credit card (ANY credit card), wi-fi access, real coffee at breakfast (who still charges extra for proper coffee at breakfast when breakfast costs $45 per person?!).

- children's menu was disappointing and not suitable for younger children. Don't ever come here when there is a wedding on, as it took more than 45 minutes to get fed in the lounge. Anyone with young children knows that is an absolute disaster with a hungry child.

- water in the rooms. We never had enough water in the mini-bar and every time I asked for more, all the staff seemed worried about was my room number to ensure I was getting charged for it, when all I wanted was a good supply of water! Another extra charge that ended up annoying me.

- out of date room information. The pack in the room still talks of cable broadband and free lounge wi-fi with a password. When I asked about this, I was told that information was "superfluous" as the arrangements were now pay for wireless everywhere in the hotel and two free terminals in the lobby for guests to use. Free wi-fi would be much better.

- late check-out - when I asked if we could check-out at 1pm instead of 11am so that our daughter could nap before our journey back to Sydney, I was met with a flat "no". It was a Monday and the hotel was not full, so this was poor service. We ended up negotiating with the cleaning staff for them to change the rotation of their room cleaning, which they happily did - showing it could be done, but instead it left a bitter taste in the mouth that the customer is not front of mind here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank SRussell255060

Dear Valued Guest,

I am disappointed to read that we did not deliver your expectation. I would like to talk further about the points raised, to ensure your experience was a one off.

We are Kids friendly, and have a lot of Kids staying with us. I am happy to discuss some ideas with you to make it even better.

Would you be able to e-mail me at gm@lilianfels.com

Reviewed February 16, 2013

A delightful olde -worlde hotel set right on the edge of the escarpment. It's just a stroll across the road to view the magnificent Blue Mountains. Friendly staff, very comfy rooms and free on-site, safe parking. It's also just a short stroll through a park to Echo Point to see the three sisters. Having a bathtub was great after our long 'stroll' along the federal pass. We also recommend the highly rated Pins at Katooomba restaurant within walking distance of the hotel for an excellent meal
only downside; Although we obtained a special internet rate for 2 nights it was still $200 a night; would it hurt the hotel to include a continental breakfast in the tariff? Or at least put some cereal packets in the room with some milk and juice and fruit? The $35 per person charge for breakfast was over the top. We also took the room's tea bags (and our Thermos) to drink on our hike and they weren't replenished in the cupboard.

Room Tip: make sure you get a front room with a view of the mountains