“Awesome abseiling experience”

Blue Mountains Adventure Company
More attraction details
Owner description: One hundred kilometres west of Sydney, NSW, Australia lies one of nature's most magnificent creations, the World Heritage area of the Blue Mountains. Endless stretches of sandstone cliffs, dramatic waterfalls and hidden canyons, a landscape of stunning natural beauty. It provides a fantastic environment for the thrilling adventure activities of abseiling, canyoning, rockclimbing, mountain biking and bushwalking - a lifetime's worth of adventuring is to be had in Sydney's backyard!check out our website for the best fun you can have in Sydney: your next Blue Mountains Adventure!
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I called BMA in the morning asking if we could do an introductory abseiling course in the afternoon and they got it organised quick-smart. Jimmy was a brilliant guy, with heaps of patience along with his happy & friendly nature. He made us all feel safe and his encouragement meant that our 11yo who is super scared of heights went down the 15m drop a couple of times. The 30m drop was awesome, because it's a high cliff face and you drop down to a ledge, so as you go over you are 100s of metres up, not just 30m. Loved it!!

Dylan J, Manager at Blue Mountains Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Thanks for your review - Jimmy has been away overseas adventuring for a few years and we are glad to have him back amongst us again!
The location you went to on the day is called "Narrow Neck" and it has some spectacularly big cliffs surrounding it - even the 15m abseil can be quite intimidating so we're glad your 11yo mustered the courage to tackle that one.
We're glad we could help you out with a last minute adventure and hope you had an excellent time exploring the rest of the Blue Mountains too!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

I did the Sheep Dip and Rocky Creek canyoning, and it was worth the money. I booked last minute, and the staff did an awesome job helping me pick which tour I wanted to do. The day of, the guide did a wonderful job making everyone feel safe and comfortable. All necessary gear is provided (they even have sneakers if you need them!) and in good condition. I'd never been canyoning before, but they explain everything and you catch on really quickly! Be prepared to get wet, jump off rocks, swim a tiny bit (or just float on your back and admire the views) and be blown away by the canyons... Bring a waterproof camera, because you will want pictures. You get to see the world from a completely different angle, and it is simply stunning. It was also extremely fun and exhilarating. Slightly pricey, but worth every dollar.

1  Thank Abigail F
Dylan J, Manager at Blue Mountains Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We try very hard to pair people up with an experience that is right for them, not the booking that is easy for us. Whilst we can't always accommodate last minute bookings we're glad you were able to join us for this great trip, which as you rightly pointed out, is stunning!
We hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in the Blue Mountains too.
Cheers!

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I planned this for myself and my two teenage girls - 15 and 13 - and we had a great time. Yes there were some frustrations and tears but they were not the fault of BMAC and indeed enhanced the experience. We were truly challenged and loved the overall experience of our Sheep Dip and Rocky Canyon experience. Once the challenges were over and we were back in the van we felt very confident and proud that we spent the previous 6 hours canyoning. The company provided everything we needed and our guide Evan was great, especially when my 13 year old daughter was a bit freaked out after a setback.

One thing I wish I had done was truly assessed our readiness for this type of activity before we headed out. BMAC give us all of the information but I wasn't honest with myself. It was longer than I anticipated - yes intellectually I knew just how long it was as it was clearly stated - and much more challenging than I had anticipated - again, it was clearly stated on the website and in a phone call. All of that information that was given to me was straight; I just was so excited at the idea I didn't do a fair assessment of our abilities and endurance. That said, we really loved the first 2/3s of it and really appreciated the experience of hiking in a helmet and wetsuits and jumping 9 meters into a pool of icy water. And if it wasn't for Evan my youngest and myself (as the mum) would still be in Rocky Canyon. His patience and skills with my daughter and myself got us safely out of the canyons when we didn't think we could do it. Of course we could, but we didn't think we could. And that final 1/3 of the trip with it's challenges made the whole experience truly special.

Please be honest with yourself about how strenuous and lengthy activity you and your party can do. I wasn't and although I wish I had, that would have meant we would not have joined the BMAC tour and we would truly have missed out. It was more than great fun, it made our Aussie trip.

1  Thank TrailingLael
Dylan J, Manager at Blue Mountains Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you so much for your honest review.
We endeavour to make sure that everyone is on the right experience for them, from beginner to extreme, but it is a challenge when people have different ideas of what extreme means.
We're glad that the challenge turned in to a positive for you and that you have gone home with some great memories.
Finally - we agree that Evan is an excellent guide too! One of the best in the mountains for sure.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I'd never abseiled before nor canyoned and my goal is to do Claustral Canyon. I had to start somewhere to get my skills up so I chose this introductory package and I'm glad I did. It was a great day. Two thumbs up Matty!

Dylan J, Manager at Blue Mountains Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Awesome. And thanks for the review!
We will of course do our best to tee you up with a Claustral Canyon adventure soon. It's a big day and you'll definitely appreciate the training you had in Empress Canyon.
Thanks for sharing the photo too - always appreciated.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

As a last minute decision, my partner and I decided to book with BMAC to go canyoning - I usually go with friends, but they were unavailable (mid week, some poor people have to work). So I managed to get onto Courtney at BMAC at around 2pm the afternoon before, while walking through the National Pass at Wentworth Falls. Despite me not having any payment details available, she was super helpful and sorted everything for us to join a trip the next day to Serendipity Canyon.
Our guides were Cairo and Dan, and they were excellent, we had a great group of people as well, which made for a very enjoyable day. The guides are particularly good at quietly watching people to assess their ability and providing encouragement when needed, but not cramping anyone's style or being militant about rules and regulations. In general the whole thing flows together well and makes it very enjoyable while still feeling like a great wilderness experience. I was very happy with the whole day, especially as an introduction to canyoning for my partner which is what I really wanted.
Lunch was ample and tasty, and they cater for all dietary requirements. Giving my boyfriend the lollies to carry was a bad idea though, he's a chocolate addict!

Dylan J, Manager at Blue Mountains Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

We're really glad we could help out with your day - Serendipity is a lovely paced adventure for first time canyoners with a bit more fitness.
Thank you for your feedback about our staff and the way we conduct our experiences, it is really helpful to ensure we are on the right track.
I agree with you, it is always a risk sharing the lollies with people in the group, but perhaps we should have some sort of personality profiling done before we hand them out in future!
Cheers!