“Abseiling & Empress Falls”

Blue Mountains Adventure Company
More attraction details
Owner description: One hundred kilometres west of Sydney, NSW, Australia lies one of nature's most magnificent creations, the World Heritage area of the Blue Mountains. Endless stretches of sandstone cliffs, dramatic waterfalls and hidden canyons, a landscape of stunning natural beauty. It provides a fantastic environment for the thrilling adventure activities of abseiling, canyoning, rockclimbing, mountain biking and bushwalking - a lifetime's worth of adventuring is to be had in Sydney's backyard!check out our website for the best fun you can have in Sydney: your next Blue Mountains Adventure!
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I just got back from the Abseiling & Empress Falls tour guided by "John". I did it with two other relatives who were also newbies.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience for someone who knows nothing about abseiling/canyoning. I was mostly concerned about safety so I was glad that John explained every detail yet still have a sense of humour.

The tour was well planned out starting with practice abseiling at cliffs ranging from 3m to 25m. I was very nervous at first but the confidence started to build.

The canyon was amazingly beautiful. John was obviously very experienced as he was able to identify many potential hazards and the safest methods to handle such obstacles.

I am also very pleased that John was happy to take photos for our group throughout the day.

I found the most difficult activity to be the abseiling of the waterfall because of having to wear glasses. I was concerned about my glasses being knocked off by the water. I wasn't able to see very much. If I did it again, I would have eyeglass croakies / holders to prevent my glasses from dropping. Maybe the tour should consider supplying these in the future.

In conclusion, it was definitely an experience to remember and many thanks to John who took great care of us.

Dylan J, Manager at Blue Mountains Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Safety is our number one value, and we're glad that you felt safe and relaxed. Along with his technical skills John is a pretty funny guy and we're glad that helped you enjoy your day with us. Thanks for the honest comment about your glasses and the "croakies" - we'll look in to that, it's a really great idea. Finally, thank you very much for your review and I hope that you got some great photos from the day!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had some hesitation in doing this cos i don't swim and frankly i am terrified of getting into water where i cant feel the ground. but the guys were enthusiastic about it in their email and i'm so happy i did it! andrew and cairo (great name) were with us, and they are so patient with me-sucha klutz, didnt even use the dry bag to put in my stuff! i thoroughly enjoyed myself, i am tired and i am happy ! really great staff who are very friendly and patient and knowledgeable, at such a young age!

Dylan J, Manager at Blue Mountains Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Andrew and Cairo are both very patient and mature beyond their age. We're glad you had a good day and even more happy that they were able to help you push through your fears a little bit - we love it when people do that!
Thank you very much for the review.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is one their introductory Canyoning Tours.

My sister and I had a blast! We spent the morning learning to abseil (starting with a 4m abseil, working up to a 25m abseil) and the afternoon hiking and canyoning, finishing the day with a 30-35m abseil down Empress Falls.

I had only ever abseiled once before, so I was happy with the amount of time spent in learning. Our guides, Bec and Cairo were great! They were experienced and so patient. They made learning fun and I felt safe at all times.

My only regret was that I didn't have a waterproof camera, so I couldn't take photos in the Canyon (the most beautiful part, in my opinion). BMAC do hire out waterproof cameras, but I missed out on the day, so ask early.

I will be doing this tour again, but with a waterproof camera.

Dylan J, Manager at Blue Mountains Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Bec is a new addition to the BMAC team, so thanks for the positive feedback, I'll be sure to let her know that you had a good time. Cairo is great too and we're glad that we could share the experience of canyoning with you. Empress is fantastic, but if you come back again we have a huge range of other canyon adventures you might want to check out - let us know what you liked best about Empress and we'll recommend something for you.
Sorry we had run out of cameras on the day - if you do come back for another adventure mention that you would like to hire a camera at the time of booking and we'll ensure that we put one aside for you.
Thanks!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We went with the half-day abseiling with this crew after seeing all the positive experiences our mates had with them (plus their TripAdvisor ranking helped). We seriously cannot recommend BMAC enough! Our guide Dylan and his insanely enthusiastic co-adventurer, Andrew, took us through the Boars' Head with their geological-climber-abseiler knowledge combo and put us completely at ease and guided us safely up and across the crazy heights of Megalong Valley. They're professionals in every way and covered all bases - quality equipment, how-to's, what-to-do-if's - and we're already planning our next adventure. Thanks guys!!!

Thanks for the review! I had a great day too and you are right in noting that Andrew is an enthusiastic member of our team. It's quite infectious. You should definitely try my favourite activity next time: canyoning. You guys would love it - it's spectacularly beautiful. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in the Blue Mountains.
Cheers

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We did the abseiling and canyoning with BMAC in September 2012.
The guides were shining stars. Tim and Tim were very patient and experienced in ensuring we felt safe.

I am a huuuuge klutz and I banged my patella against a wet boulder (my own fault). Tim repelled me down the water fall, then took me to the hospital outside of company time so we didn't have to pay for a cab to the hospital. Tim also had to work late that night because he left the climbing gear on the waterfall so that I could see a doctor sooner. Thanks for going above and beyond Tim!

All in all, the attention to detail that the staff gave, their thoroughness in first aid and safety and calmness through the experience left a positive memory for me of my trip.

If you have any fears of heights or water, or of getting injured, I can ensure you that you are in excellent hands with Blue Mountain Adventure!

(PS the reason I remember his name after 6 months is that he gave me Tim Tams to make me feel better about my knee :) )

1  Thank Shalane D
Dylan J, Manager at Blue Mountains Adventure Company, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Hi Shalane.
We hope that your knee is healing up okay. Tim (and Tim) are both great, and Tim is especially known in our little community for going above and beyond on a regular basis. He's simply a great bloke. :)
Truly hope the rest of your time in Australia wasn't impacted upon too negatively by your injured knee.
Thank you for the lovely review.
Cheers!