“Step into a treehouse!”

Ranked #2 of 93 Restaurants in Katoomba
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I always recommend The Common Ground to travellers I meet at work (motel)
The atmosphere is just like dining in a treehouse and you can almost imagine a hobbit coming in and not batting an eyelid!
We been dine here every time we visit the mountains, the food is wholesome, honest & cheap and the decor is priceless.
Last night we ate here before going to see a movie, within 10mins of leaving I had 2 phone calls, one from a friend & one from my place of work to say The Common Ground had rung to say I'd left my wallet behind. They had found some business cards in my wallet and tracked me down.
Top marks for everything!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed January 5, 2013

When you walk in you immediately notice the beautiful wooden carved tables and seats. You take a seat and order your standard burger and chips with mango smoothy and as you wait you notice pamphlets on the table and have a read.... Hmmm religious cult maybe? I felt uncomfortable straight away.
The burger was average and the chips were cold crisp chips from a packet which was not what I expected. The mango smoothly was however delicious.
If you're into weird give it a go!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Dropped in for dinner on Sunday evening with another couple we met at our hotel. They serve lovely food but no meat (though plenty of chicken and fish). We sat upstairs, which if you can do, we recommend you do so as you look down on the rest of the restaurant. The place is rustic, and the staff very relaxed and low key, but attentive and friendly. The food is absolutely delicious. One of our party had the potato soup which he thoroughly enjoyed (and he's Irish so he'd know a good potato soup). The rest of us had the chicken burgers or the barramundi. These were superb, served promptly, and came with the freshest, most delicious salads I've ever had. The salad ingredients are grown at the owners farm not far away. The cost is not much (less than $25 per head) given the quality of the food and I can only thoroughly recommend this lovely Cafe/restaurant. If you are in Katoomba do yourself a favour and go here. From memory they don't serve alcohol but I wouldn't let that put you off as the food really is worth travelling for.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

These people understand wood. Beautiful wooden beams on stairs polished wood tables. Very 60s, very hippie, very alternative and a damned fine meal at great prices. Must eat the Barramundi Burger. Unlike most of the fish in Australia it is not beer battered and fried but grilled or cooked with excellent sauce. Great fishburger which actually comes with a dill pickle spear. Australians don't have pickles on their hamburgers. I think Mcdonalds puts pickles on cheeseburgers due to high sugar content most of their food is labelled as a confecionary or so the pickle cheeseburger would classify it as a nonconfection. You get the drift.
What ever you eat here will be very healthy and excellently done at reasonable prices and if you are travelling back to Sydney, eat here for better food and bargain prices you won't see in overpriced, underfed sydney. I guarantee you won't go away hungry and the atmosphere and decor are a pleasant tonic especially after Sydney. Just don't go on saturday when they are closed. And if they are closed go to the Hattery. They serve a barramundi burger but it isn't quite as good. Just a gem of a place.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

The decor is superlative by all means, but the food leaves much to be desired. It reminds me of the Australia of the '70. I ordered the fish which was good, nothing special really a small piece for $18 something, but the salad which was served in the same plate (otherwise they could not fill it) with big pieces of capsicums tomatoes one half of a pickled gerkin had a watery and tasteless condiment which did not enhanced the salad whatsoever. So there was very little to eat as I do not like to eat grass without a tasty condiment. The menu was very simple and very few choices, I mean not much to choose from. The funny thing is that all the time my son and I were sitting there there was a continuos up and down from the ladies from the kitchen up the stairs down the stairs with big enormous saucepans ....and I was thinking....what the hell are they cooking in there if on the menu there are only very simple things like chicken, fish, hamburgers and salads?? Unless they are cooking for the whole compound I could not see the use of the saucepans!! Sorry but thank you, there are better places in katoomba not so much on decor, but with better food!!!

3  Thank ClorisKatoomba