“Comfortable, quirky guesthouse in a beautiful location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Katoomba
The Cecil Guesthouse
Ranked #16 of 19 Katoomba B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Comfortable, quirky guesthouse in a beautiful location”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Cecil. Our room was comfortable and clean with a lovely view over katoomba.
Breakfast is basic but good, and served downstairs in a carpeted lounge with an old stage set! Admittedly, visiting in winter, we had to sit right by the electric fire to keep warm/melt the butter for our toast!
There is another cosier little lounge with a TV downstairs- great for eating takeaway by the fire!
The games room (table tennis and pool) kept us entertained.
The place is kind of rickety, and I'm not convinced the windows wouldn't fall out with a strong gust of wind, but all in all we enjoyed our stay in this stunning location!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The charm and character of the Cecil is what makes a stay there so lovely. The price suggests it is fairly basic but it was comfortable. We found a warm nook each night to watch telly or play board games or read. The rooms were clean and comfortable and warm. It is not a big busy place even during peak time so you feel relaxed and can easily find a quiet spot to hang in and enjoy the views. The manager was helpful and guests friendly which made our sightseeing excursions all the better. Looking forward to going back for another stay sometime. Sharon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
sydney
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I don't write the words 'worst place we have EVER stayed at without serious consideration as to what this means. So, why was it the worst place we have ever stayed at. The four of us found the photos charming as were the email correspondences...and that is the only positive thing I can say.
The beds were terrible and we sank so far in the mattress that my girlfriend and I slept on the floor for a while, but that was so dirty, that we ended up laying our clothes on the ground.

Trying to get moved was refused and we were advised the beds were all the same and not everyone complained. The bbq we used was dirty and the kitchen is so run down that it really is not usable for most things.

When I brought to the staff the fact that the bathrooms were covered in black mould, and additionally they were dirty, this did not seem to be a surprise to them. I truly believe it is a matter of time till some authority shuts them down. They will be doing tourism in the blue mountains a favour!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank serendipitysydney

Travelers are raving about these Katoomba hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Unfortunately I only stayed one night but I absolutely loved this house. It's an old Victorian style guesthouse with lots of charm and views to the Mountains. It smelled like open fireplaces everywhere in the neighbourhood and I felt like a million years away from Sydney. Upon check in they upgraded me to a nicer room than I had booked originally - what a great start. The room was tidy, clean and very cosy. I had a great view towards a mountain range in the distance from my room.
There were all together 4 lounge rooms to hang out in: a warm library with TV, an entertaining room with a pool table and fireplace (great views from this one), on another level a dining room and a small lounge area with kitchen amenities (microwave, sink, dishes, coffee/tea etc). It was kinda quite when I was there and therefore I had the feeling I had the whole place to myself.

I was even happier when I discovered a bathtub in one of the shared bathrooms in the morning and had a hot bath. In regards to breakfast, I didn't expect much upon reading some reviews here and was as a result quite surprised to find all continental items in form of nice arranged buffet - juices, jams, cereals, different breads etc etc.

I'll definitely return to this place. For the price I paid it's unbeatable.

Room Tip: I was on the second level/floor, which was great & cosy. It looked newly renovated. Can't sa...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I stayed at Cecile's for one night, but when I'll go back to the Blue Mountains again, I will definitly stay here again. It was all very clean, good service, lovely view and located very central. They have nice things to keep you warm during the cold nights like an electric bed heating and a electric heater. So lovely!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Narrandera
Reviewed April 18, 2012

This was an excellent venue for our annual girls' weekend.Whilst most of us stayed in private rooms with facilities it was great to have the use of the guest's lounge and games room. The rooms were clean, beds comfortable, loved the crisp white sheets. Staff ( our dutch friend) was very friendly and helpful. Loved the old world charm and can see the improvements that are being made to bring ths guest house back to its former glory. A continental breakfast was included in our price and was very nice. Easy walking distance to town and cafes.Have already recommended it to other friends.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Whilst the Cecil Guesthouse may not have all the luxuries of a 5* boutique hotel it has a certain charm that is undeniable. It is very clean, the staff are very friendly and the fact that a (continental) breakfast is included in the price makes this outstanding value. Its centre of town location combined with its low price make it an ideal stop for backpackers. For those travelling in by train it is a 3 minute walk from the station, saving those legs for the walking you're probably planning to enjoy! Small gripes are the cracked tiles over the sink in the room and the broken pane of glass in the dining room, not only unsightly but a little dangerous!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends