“Could be really great with some money and TLC...in the meantime...!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Katoomba
The Cecil Guesthouse
Ranked #16 of 19 Katoomba B&B and Inns
Newry, Northern Ireland
“Could be really great with some money and TLC...in the meantime...!”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I stayed here for one night in September 2011. I only booked it the night before we stayed and the rate was pretty cheap. It is a cheap place to stay so you get what you pay for. The location is excellent for Katoomba but the standard of accommodation is pretty low for a B&B or even a 21st century hostel. There is no wifi/internet. The "ensuite" is a wardrobe with a toilet and shower. The breakfast is very basic. The beds are comfortable and the staff are very welcoming and helpful. The bed had an electric blanket (big plus!) and the ensuite was clean.

Let me say, if someone had the time and money, this could be a wonderful guesthouse. There are pictures and articles in the house showing its former glory, but these days its glamour has seriously faded. At the present time, it really is a backpacker destination and at that still not the best.

If you're on a budget and looking to stay in downtown Katoomba - and you aren't terribly fussy on accommodation - the Cecil makes a good option.

Please, whoever owns this place, get the money from the bank and do it up! There is a gem of a gueshouse here just give it some love!!!

Room Tip: Go ensuite and get an electric blanket, central heating is non-existant!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Nottingham
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Spent 2 nights here with my husband in August. Mari was very helpful and welcoming. The place is in need of some modernisation but we really liked it and would go back. It would be wonderful to see this place restored to its former grandeur, hopefully if enough people stay, they will be able to afford it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rootstogrow
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2011

we just go back from The Cecil yesterday after 2 nights staying there.. I went with my daughter & her grandma, we loved the old world charm of the place.. our room we clean & the beds were comfy.. we had a ensuite room & yes the ensuite was small but hello, how long or often are you in there.. there was free coffeee & tea & the games room that my daughter & i made use of..
we found the place really easy to find & it was on a stones throw from the main st in Katoomba..
The manager was a lovely lady, very friendly & helpful..she went out of her way to make our stay enjoyable..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kathy2363
canberra australia
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I booked this hotel mostly on the basis of its older style and the fact that there was a games room, in case our 11 and 15 year olds got bored. You don't want to be stuck in a room at a swish hotel when the weather is bad and there is nothing to do downstairs. When we arrived, yes I was slightly disappointed at what I thought might actually be a backpackers haven. But NO, we saw family after family come and go over the 5 nights we stayed at the Cecil. They all seemed to be enjoying it and I heard no complaints. The games room at this guesthouse is just perfect for when you have a family on holidays. A pot belly heater with couches near for reading etc, lots of games in the window seats to get out and play, and we even brought our takeaway pizza in and ate there one night. We played table tennis and pool every spare moment we had when we weren't out sightseeing, and given the dreadful winds/weather that came up for a couple of days, we really appreciated having the space to hang out at the hotel. There is also a tv/lounge room adjoining the games room, with current dvds and books on the shelves. Across from the dining room downstairs there is a lovely little tea room with couches, tv, table/chairs and tea/coffee making facilities (complimentary). Sometimes you don't feel that relaxed at the posher and far more expensive places. By day two we felt very at home at the Cecil. Our adjoining rooms with the little bathroom in between were quite fine for us. Newly painted, and clean carpet, comfortable beds, electric blankets(!), dimplex heaters, and I liked the vintage/antique furniture. I think it was kind of nice to be able to think how this place must have buzzed in the old days, and there are plenty of pics in the foyer for you to get an idea of this. Yes, there are still a few little things that can be fixed, and no doubt will be over time, but we had fun and felt welcome, and the staff were very helpful and caring. During the black out on one night (due to the storms, the whole of Katoomba was in the dark), Belinda our hostess offered us all we needed to make toast using the pot belly given we had no way of getting dinner from the restaurants which were all in the dark too). The dining room was a tad cool in the mornings despite the dimplex heater doing its best, but we coped. Breakfast was included. Cereals, tea/coffee, toast. All good. I heard the pigeons outside our room and actually liked their cooing. I didn't mind the old fittings, that's part of the Cecil's charm. We saved quite a bit of money staying here, and got more than we would have got from say the Carrington, in terms of family togetherness and fun. I saw this happening to other families staying at the Cecil too. The place was not that hard to find if you looked out for the sign on Katoomba street. We parked first, found where we were supposed to turn in to the driveway between the shops and we were there. Easy.
Good luck with the ongoing renovations, we will be back in autumn.
Sue and Michael, Isobel and Owen.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank sooka
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I can't believe I cheaped out saved a whole 20 bucks booking here thinking that the Cecil would be the same as the other accommodation in the area. Looking on the website the misleading old pics and "family friendly" promises I thought it was a safe bet...... I wish I had of been smart enough to read the above comments before booking but alas my frugalness won out. Beware guys, this is a backpakers (and that's a compliment because it has not been renovated since the 50's) not for families at all. They are clearly banking on the fact that you'll be fooled by the website and they'll get a quick buck out of your one nights stay, because no one in their right mind would give them repeat business. Cecil management need to have a good hard look at their establishment followed by a good hard look at themselves for fooling families.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank Jbisho

Travelers are raving about these Katoomba hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I gave my friend the job of booking accommodation for us in the Mountains and wish I hadn't of....This run down old place needs to be condemmed. There is nothing that is strikingly charming about it and it is in obvious need of work. The rooms smell damp and mouldy and my bed smelt of urine. I had to sleep on my towel as I just felt the bed was dirty. Management really need to take a long hard look at this place and either shut it down or do major work to the building.
The guest facilities looked like they had been bought from Garage Sales 20 years ago, I am glad they don't advertise having a tennis court because it looked more like an over grown weed farm, the front of the building has smashed up garages and graffitti and the rear, which is the entrance, is very hard to find and my friend had to go into a shop beside to ask how to get in to the place. Upon speaking with other guests they also felt the same as us...The general opinion was that they would of been better off buying a tent, it would of been alot cheaper and more comfortable.
The service was O.K nothing to rave about.
We had a great time sight seeing and shopping and Thank God the nightlife was fun because I needed to be drunk to go back to my room....What ever you do Think Twice before booking in to the Cecil!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank daytripperoo
Asnieres-sur-Seine, France
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Ideal for backpackers : not very tidy, and not very comfortable, but nice people and customers, with common room with billiard, TV and games. We appreciated the climate there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple