“Not for families!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Katoomba
The Cecil Guesthouse
Ranked #16 of 19 Katoomba B&B and Inns
“Not for families!”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I can't believe I cheaped out saved a whole 20 bucks booking here thinking that the Cecil would be the same as the other accommodation in the area. Looking on the website the misleading old pics and "family friendly" promises I thought it was a safe bet...... I wish I had of been smart enough to read the above comments before booking but alas my frugalness won out. Beware guys, this is a backpakers (and that's a compliment because it has not been renovated since the 50's) not for families at all. They are clearly banking on the fact that you'll be fooled by the website and they'll get a quick buck out of your one nights stay, because no one in their right mind would give them repeat business. Cecil management need to have a good hard look at their establishment followed by a good hard look at themselves for fooling families.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank Jbisho

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I gave my friend the job of booking accommodation for us in the Mountains and wish I hadn't of....This run down old place needs to be condemmed. There is nothing that is strikingly charming about it and it is in obvious need of work. The rooms smell damp and mouldy and my bed smelt of urine. I had to sleep on my towel as I just felt the bed was dirty. Management really need to take a long hard look at this place and either shut it down or do major work to the building.
The guest facilities looked like they had been bought from Garage Sales 20 years ago, I am glad they don't advertise having a tennis court because it looked more like an over grown weed farm, the front of the building has smashed up garages and graffitti and the rear, which is the entrance, is very hard to find and my friend had to go into a shop beside to ask how to get in to the place. Upon speaking with other guests they also felt the same as us...The general opinion was that they would of been better off buying a tent, it would of been alot cheaper and more comfortable.
The service was O.K nothing to rave about.
We had a great time sight seeing and shopping and Thank God the nightlife was fun because I needed to be drunk to go back to my room....What ever you do Think Twice before booking in to the Cecil!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank daytripperoo

Travelers are raving about these Katoomba hotels

Asnieres-sur-Seine, France
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Ideal for backpackers : not very tidy, and not very comfortable, but nice people and customers, with common room with billiard, TV and games. We appreciated the climate there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Must have been an opulent guest house in its day, sadly now it's just a shadow of its former glory. Creaky, musty and run down. From the moment you enter across the broken tiles on the steps leading in, to climbing the stairs to your room, you can't help feeling you've come to stay with the Addams Family. Upon entering your room, the first thing you do is laugh (a lot) because it's a natural reaction to shock. Room fittings are Stalag like, beds are small, towels are smaller and bathrooms are minimalistic. If you're looking for a TV or a bar fridge, you would be wasting your time. Sadly, the current owners don't bother with maintenace or upkeep. The whole place needs a major makover. The tennis court looks more like a golf course and I bet no one has used since federation. For a cheap place to stay, it's OK. Would I stay here again, NO. Am I sorry I stayed here, NO. It was an experience, just not a pleasant one.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
TheCecil, Manager at The Cecil Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 14, 2011
Dear Ronsmate,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the Cecil, as so many guests do. Unfortunately you were obviously not put into one of our newly decorated rooms, which I apologise for wholehartedly!
The Cecil has been undergoing extensive renovation and re-decoration over the last few months, as the management put the love back in. You will have noticed that the dining room was being renovated during your stay, as we offered you an apology for the inconvenience caused.
The Cecil offers plenty of charm and character, and offers our guests a very relaxing, enjoyable and hospitable stay.
We wish you well on your travels, and thank you again for your Feeedback.
Best Regards,
The Cecil Management
Sydney
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Two rooms with en-suite for $145 a night sounded good. Then we got there......
The tennis court looked more like a forest then anything else, the outdoor furniture looks old and half broken. I did not dare sit on it. The small photos on the website are way out of date.

Even for a backpackers, this place needs a lot of work. Opening the window of the room, looking at the timber edges, they are cracked, worn, broken away and just plain scary to look at. In the games room, the pool table has damaged felt, the television has no red in it, so everything looks green and blue.

For the price we paid, for the size of the "rooms" as well as the condition the place was in, I think we paid too much. The en-suite between the rooms was less then a meter wide and just long enough to fit a toilet, small sink and shower in. No plugs for the sinks.

The wallpaper has gone, room had been recently painted, but this place needs a lot more work to bring it up to modern standards. Especially on the outside. It reminds me of staying at Fawlty Towers, I was expecting Basil Fawlty to be downstairs at reception.

Pigeons in the roof can be heard "Cooing" and "scratching" around. All sorts of little insects flying around. A bed, one night stand, a broken down wardrobe with writing on it going back to the 1960's and a sink with no plug. Rooms were not serviced at all. I would have thought they could make the beds at least.

We only came up and stayed because the boys were doing abseiling early the next morning. This is not a place to stay for comfort and "room." Place was chosen for it's location and convenience to where we needed to go. Next time, I will be double checking to make sure we don't get booked into this "Adams Family" Mansion!!

Old is one thing, old and falling apart is another. This place needs a major makeover and not just a quick touch up. I did not sleep well at all, the scratching and noise from the roof and the heat kept me awake. They did provide fans because we asked about them, if we did not have them, the place would have been a hot box/sauna.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vatis
Singapore
Reviewed August 20, 2010

The pics on the website were misleading. This place was more of a backpacker's place, hidden behind the creepy alley and we had to be pointed to go behind the street by residents to locate the guesthouse.

The reception looked decent, staff was friendly, but when we dragged our luggage upstairs to the one and only ensuite room, we were appalled... old wallpapers peeling off from the walls, an ancient creepy looking wadrobe that probably resembled the one in Chronicles of Narnia, an old lamp that you need to pull a string to turn it on (such lamps still exist in these times?), a strange old dirty sink located at the side of the room, smallest toilet and smallest sink i've ever seen, connecting doors to the nxt room that couldn't be locked, old rusty heater that didn't work very well. wasn't what i've expected for aud$95!

i was so scared that I almost wanted to stay in my car for the night... we told the staff abt the disfunctional connecting door to the toilet, but was assured that the manager will try to fix it and there are no occupants to the nxt room. so my partner and i had to use our luggage to block the door, hopefully to avoid any uninvited visitors to our room.

the room was dead quiet and i was freaking scared that I couldn't get to sleep. At night, we heard loud party noises along the streets...we hurried out of the place at 7am the next morning...

would be better off staying at somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple