“I can definitely recommend this one. It's a Pearl which I found, in an old country town. It's called the Bamboo Box and they”
Review of Bamboo Box

Bamboo Box
Ranked #12 of 92 Restaurants in Katoomba
Cuisines: Asian, Fast Food, Cafe
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: Located at the top of Katoomba Street this popular local cafe offers a variety of quality food at reasonable prices. Whilst modern and traditional Asian cuisine is the speciality, old Aussie favourites are also on offer (lunch only) to cater for all tastes. Locally roasted coffee and house-made sweets make this cafe a one stop eatery, dine-in or takeaway. Gluten free and vegetarian meals available. Mon - Wed 10am - 4.30Pm, Thu - Fri 10am - 9.00Pm, Sat 11am - 9.00Pm. Closed Sunday & Public Holidays.
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I've been living here in Katoomba for over 3 years. I am pretty fussy about food. So at first I tried many restaurants with not much success, until a taxi driver told me about the Bamboo Box. I tried it once, and then I started eating here all the time. Now, I won't go anywhere else for lunch, and I regularly meet my friends here for dinner. They love it too.

Both the sit in meals, and the take-a-way, are not expensive. But all of the food is very high quality. Vegetables are always super fresh. The meat, the chicken, and the seafood, are always fresh everyday.

The staff are wonderful, always treating everybody really well. The chef is from Shanghai and he is an intelligent and creative chef/restauranteur.

This Cafe/Restaurant sometimes brings back memories of Europe with its great coffee, its warm, cozy and relaxed space. It has that certain magic which inspires interesting conversations with locals, or with friendly and intriguing people from all over the world.
And of course, the food is ALWAYS excellent.
"★★★★★"

1  Thank Jeffrey-Dood

Reviewed November 16, 2013

As a local I have eaten in just about every eatery in Katoomba. I continually return to The Bamboo Box because of the excellent service, fresh and delicious food, value and atmosphere. I can go in the morning for an excellent bacon and egg roll for $5. For lunch I can get a delicious fresh sandwich for $5, a choice of two delicious stirfry's with rice or noodles for $9.90 (often enough to take some home for another snack later), Laksa or dumpling soups for $12, Fish and Chips or even an Open Hamburger with fresh hot chips for around $12. For dinner I can order Chinatown restaurant quality Chinese food, for around $15-$18, cooked to order by the Owner/Chef Bing, who's attention to quality and detail far surpasses the best chefs in Katoomba. The staff are efficient and friendly, the restaurant is clean and hygienic, and the atmosphere is fabulous because you get to meet a range of locals who are happy to chat about our gorgeous town and what it has to offer. Definately worth a try if your visiting, or havent been here as a local resident, I guarantee you'll be back again and again!

1  Thank Lainie F
Reviewed November 16, 2013

As one other reviewer put it - yes it is an ordinary take away shop with seating (but only in appearance), but it could never be described as a "small place to sit", as it would easily seat 20 -25 people.

The Bamboo Box does not pretend to be upmarket establishment and never has, as a local, I have now been there many times over the years, and the food has always been consistently good and spot on for the price.

We went there as a group of 5 tonight 16/11/13, with one of the group being a vegetarian. We ensured that our vegetarian friend would have several dishes to try from the entrees and the mains, so we went partial vegetarian for the night with the assistance of the very helpful waitress.

However, we did insist on our 2 servings of the Beef Rendang, which would have to the places signature dish. We ordered it a couple of days ago when we made the booking (as we know it usually sells out quick) and the establishment willing obliged.

Excellent happy night out with friends. Great food, attentive helpful service.

And a bill that didn't break the bank, what more could you ask for.

ME - Katoomba

Reviewed November 14, 2013

This cute modern Asian dine-in and take away restaurant provided great value for the wonderful variety of dishes on the menu. There's something for everyone with Asian taste buds, especially the rendang, laksa and coriander chicken.
Service was friendly and we happily fitted our family of 6,though it would also make a great spot for a date.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

After reading the reviews here we went with expectation but it turns out to be just an ordinary take away shop with small sit in place. The food is more expensive than the 3 sisters bbq restaurant down the road, which is hard to justify given its quality. The food is just normal chinese/asian food, don't expect any thai food that you would get in a real Thai restaurant (seriously i don't recall even seeing pad thai on the menu, but nasi goreng is there!). The take away choice is a bit cheaper, $8.8 for two choice, just fair valued. The menu food is a bit more expensive, which we didn't try as we thought it's not worth it.