3 Explorers Motel
$53
$137
$243
Katoomba Town Centre(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
$66
$64
Blue Mountains Heritage Motel(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
$64
$60
$216
$209
Agoda.com
3 Sisters Motel(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
$75
$72
Priceline
Alpine Motor Inn(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
$91
$84
Priceline
The Carrington Hotel(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
$90
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewschocolate shopecho pointscenic worldthree sistersgreat locationwalking distancefamily roompins restaurantthe owner managerroom was cleangreat place to staysingle bedspa roomcable carquiet areagood sizeshort drive
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I booked this motel months ago online with no hassles.
Found the Manager very friendly and helpful on our arrival and the check in was quick and efficient.
The room was very clean and comfortable with a good sized bed, a table setting for two and a two seater couch.
The ensuite bathroom was spotless and the shower had good hot water and a good shower head where you actually got wet, unlike some other motels.
We ordered bacon and eggs for breakfast from room service and it arrived well cooked and presented and on time.
We came back to find our room being made up on the second day and the girl was very friendly and engaging.
This motel is located 250mtrs from Echo Point, so is an easy walk. It is also right across the road from the Blue Mountains Chocolate shop and I recommend both their chocolate and their hot chocolates.
All in all, this motel was good value for money and is well run by friendly staff.
I am happy to recommend it to all.

Room Tip: There are no dining facilities at this motel, but lots of options close by.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Doolighal M
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The weather was atrocious.The motel is a ten minute walk from the Three Sisters and the walks one can do on a round trip up to five hours, then recuperate at the chocolate shop opposite!! The room is spacious a double and single bed. Plentiful and strong hot water - very welcome after our chilly damp day ..BUT even if you find yourself in these conditions Katoomba has so much to offer.We spent hours in bookstores, cafes and stores.
Chase and his wife manage the booked out motel and were informative and helpful, even when we were delayed and got there after "closed" , as we called to advise of the delay they said they would be there to greet us ... If you train it, perhaps it isnt the closest to amenties, but if you are driving or after being car- less and want friendly, informative service and good humoured hosts and room delivered breakfast .DO IT !!

Room Tip: Ground florrs are quiet
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Doctorsassistant
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked 2 double rooms at the 3 Explorers on-line in Dec 2011, for me and my wife, and our eldest daughter, for a 2 night stay in Aug 2012. I delayed writing a review to see if time would allow me to be more charitable and objective than I felt when I left - so here goes.
The good points. The rooms are reasonably sized, well-furnished, and the heater in the bedroom was efficient (if a little noisy). The motel is within walking distance of Echo Point/the Three Sisters and the eastern end of Scenic World's Skyway cable-car. Also it is just around the corner from a Blue Mountains Explorer bus stop. The breakfast was well-cooked and tasty.
The not-so-good points. The motel is located in a residential area of Katoomba (nice and quiet), but so far from the centre of town (where the majority of places to eat/shops are) that one needs to drive to get anywhere other than the tourist bits mentioned above. I found the manner of the manager somewhat brusque, and whilst not unwelcoming, I felt somewhat uncomfortable. If you want breakfast, decide how hungry you are likely to be in 12 hours time, and don't expect to eat after 8:15.
The bad points. The bathrooms are small, unheated (the tile floors were freezing), and the sink tiny. It was that cold I did without a shower, so I cannot comment on how efficient the water flow would be. When I booked in Dec 2011 I paid a total rate of AUS $440.00 in total (a middling price for the area), but if I had waited until I got to Australia in July 2012, I could have got the rooms for a total of AUS $370.00 - shame, but I realise prices often fall for last minute reservations. Nevertheless, what persuaded me to book so early was a special offer for free breakfasts only available if booked using the motel's own web-site. I figured the value of which would offset lower room costs available elsewhere. I emailed the manager stating clearly the dates I was interested in, questioned the availability of the Breakfast Special, and the room rates for different room options. The reply I received gave no indication that there might be a problem. When we arrived at the motel and asked about the arrangements for the free breakfasts, we were told that the offer did not apply to the dates of our stay and was something only available for certain dates in Jan and Feb 2012! Incidently, I was told that even if we had got the 'free' breakfasts it would have meant ordering from a limited menu rather than the 'normal' breakfast menu.
In summary, I question the glowing reviews I read prior to booking. The 3 Explorers is an average motel with some good points, but overall is nothing to write home about. Irrespective of the 'breakfast special' rip-off, would I stay here again - no - would I recommend it to friends - no.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank David H
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed just one night here in early November. The hotel is a little out of town, in a quiet residential area - you need a car to get anywhere, for example to town or to the nearest restaurant. The staff were welcoming and our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. In particular, the bed was lovely and we had a blissful night’s sleep. The bedroom is heated/cooled by a reversible air-con unit, but goodness me the bathroom was a tad chilly (no heating)! Breakfast is served in your room (order the night before - that’s a little inconvenient, having to decide what you’ll feel like in the morning) and was satisfactory but no more.
Overall: absolutely no complaints for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bebechoon
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We arrived at the hotel and received a warm welcome and had been told that we had been upgraded to a better room which was awesome. we had originally booked a small spa room, but had been upgraded to the larger room as no one had booked it out for the friday night. First impressions of the room were awesome! Until we spotted the 10 Huuuuuge flies caught in the curtains. My partner spent about 30 minutes trying to herd them out. Eventually he got all of them out. He stepped into the bathroom and started yelping.. from where the carpet met the tiles there was a risen metal strip which he cut his foot on numerous times that night.. We inspected the 2nd bedroom and yet again even more flies.. but we had had enough of the herding and decided just to close the door. The room itself was pretty awesome i must say and we thoroughly enjoyed it, including the spa, which unfortunately as we filled up some hairs started coming to the top. Aswell as a few black hairs sitting on the bathroom floor. Anyways we went to bed and some how a huuuuuge moth had gotten in the room and was flying around so my partner once again got up and tried to herd it out of the room. We got to bed and got woken up at 3am by the alarm clock!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!! my partner turned it off and then 2 hours later it started going off again!!!!! We had read the book which the hotel provided which stated spa suite guests could check out at 11am and decided to take advantage of that. But at 10:15 we heard frantic knocking from the owner basically asking us why we hadnt left yet.. which made us feel very very unwelcome, my partner stated in the book it said 11 oclock check out but the man had started walking away before he could finish his sentence!! we shut the door and packed our stuff as fast as we could and made a very speedy exit.

Room Tip: If you want to pay extra for a spa do so, but the rooms without looked just as nice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple