The Flying Fox Backpackers
3 Explorers Motel(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
$86
The Carrington Hotel(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
$162
$89
Agoda.com
Katoomba Town Centre(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
Alpine Motor Inn(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
$94
$71
Agoda.com
Sky Rider Motor Inn(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
$69
$61
$217
$208
Agoda.com
Blue Mountains Heritage Motel(Katoomba)(Great Value!)
$124
3 Sisters Motel(Katoomba)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsliving roomfree breakfastsocial gatheringhelpful ownerelectronic devicesblue mountainscommon areasnice roomrosshostelwinteraustraliawalksdormfireplacehippiebrekkie
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here for a weekend recently! When we I arrived we waited outside in the rain for someone to answer the door. When they did it was a guy who hadn't a clue what he was doing. He showed us to our room and when we asked about things to do in the area is said he didn't know anything and the owner would be back at some point and he would know! We didn't see the owner until the day we left, he came and knocked on our room door at 0920 (before check out) and asked 'do you want me to store your bags?' We said no and then he asked when we were leaving. We left soon after this and made our payment! Later to find out he had someone else lined up for the room! How rude?!! He then decided to tell us of all the things and sights to see - bit late!!
With regards to the actual hostel it was smelly, the bedroom smelt musty and damp. The sheets smelt sweaty and damp and had marks on them! There was even an old contact lense stuck to the wall beside the mirror and make up on the wall also! Didn't seem to have been cleaned from previous guests! The room was also freezing and I ended up sleeping with all my clothes on as there was no heater and no one to ask for a heater!! There were 2shared bathrooms indoors and one outdoors! They were disgusting also!! They looked like they had been there for the 1950s! And the was mould and damp everywhere! The shower was full of hairs and it dribbled water also- shocking! I had to shower in my flip flops- only showers once though because of the poor hygiene! The one time I did shower I looked up and it looked like there was a camera on the ceiling!!!! I can't be sure if it was definitely a camera but it looked like one!!
Absolutely horrific hostel- wouldn't recommend to anyone EVER! It was $80 per night also - what a rip off!!!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

So my friend and I looked up hostels on our way up to Katoomba. Walked in and the guy couldn't get us a room unless we already had one online. Then when I asked for a wifi pw to book online he looked fearful of us?! I
told him I would spend my$ elsewhere. Also, poor poor English at the front desk. He claimed he couldn't do anything without the owner and said that the owner might show up in a few days but was unpredictable. I recommend the BACKPACKERS HOSTEL ONE BLOCK CLOSER TO TOWN. They have amazing facilities and great staff!!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This is one of my favourite hostels in NSW.
Its like one of those secret places you here about from people round a campfire.
We stayed in the double room which houses the best bed in the world!.. we actually slept in and missed breakfast because it is so comfy! it was really clean and felt like home.
The manager is really friendly and helpful telling us about how to get round and good places off the beaten track to watch the sunset.

100% recommend this place if your staying in Katoomba, you wont forget it.
I stayed here in 2007 and returned in January 2014 because its a great hostel.
Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2014

The Flying Fox is easily the best hostel I have ever come across on my travels over the past 5 years - I return time and time again, and every time I come back I feel at home. It doesn't matter that the friends I made on my previous visit have moved on because the new guests when I come back would immediately become firm friends after a night around the fire in the hut. It's just that kind of place!

I don't need to repeat everything that has already been said below, it's as good as it sounds and no matter who you are or if you're alone or not, you will love it! The town Katoomba is a fantastic place to relax with a great coffee and cuisine, or get active and adventurous if you prefer. It's beautiful and there are so many places a bit off the beaten tourist tracks to go and explore - just ask the staff at the Fox, they will help you out and set you up with some hiking buddies if you're worried about trekking alone.

I came to see clearly on my numerous visits to this place that the owner, Ross, really passionately cares about his guests having a great stay. I think that's just what makes you feel so good about being at this hostel and it's a nice change to meet a hostel owner who makes the effort to figure out each guest and cater to their personal needs.

Just remember not to book anything else in advance for after your 2 or 3 day stay at the Flying Fox, because you will have to cancel it when you realize how hard it is to leave, trust me!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Not only the best hostel option in the blue mountains, this is one of the nicest hostels I have stayed at in OZ! Great atmosphere, very relaxed chill-out room, lots of DVD's, clean rooms, kitchen etc, comfortable bunks and very friendly owners and staff, who make you feel welcome and at home. Lovely breakfast incl in the morning and regularly organised meals/bbq's in the evening. You'll probably end up staying longer than you expect..!

• Stayed: November 2013