“Haven in the Snowys”
Review of Snowy Wilderness

Snowy Wilderness
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We wanted to escape the hustle and bustle and we sure did. A wonderfully relaxing bush retreat with the best trail riding we've ever done. None of this 'one behind the other' riding but beautiful horses happy to go wherever directed! Bridie our guide was very experienced and knowledgable and made our ride even more enjoyable. Dinner that night cooked by Justin and Delia in our one bedroom luxury lodge capped off our special long weekend getaway.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed in the modern one bedroom house. It was truly luxuriously appointed. Great kitchen, lovely bathroom, a log burner (which we needed as it was cold during our stay). Pitch black and very quiet at night. We slept like logs in the big, comfortable bed.

The drive from Jindabyne was slow going after dark due to the amount of wildlife, but for tourists like us this was simply amazing to see, so we have no complaints.

Very friendly owners and a very nice place to stay. It is in a remote location, so take all the supplies you need and enjoy the peace and quiet of this fabulous location.

Room Tip: We stayed in the modern one bedroom place and it was excellent.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I truly loved my weekend adventure at Snowy Wilderness! We stayed in the one bedroom lodge and it was just magic. Hugely spacious, beautifully appointed, huge comfortable bed, fire place with wood already chopped, self-contained kitchen etc. Definitely well exceeded my expectations. We ordered dinner so the hosts came to our lodge and cooked us an absolutely amazing dinner. Really friendly service. We did one day's horse riding which went from around 10am to 4pm with a stop for lunch and it's just beatiful being in the mountains with the rugged terrain. We saw wild brumbies, kangaroos, echidnas etc. A magical, unique stay. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: We loved the one bedroom lodge - would highly recommend.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I recently stayed at the lakeside apartment offered by Snowy Wilderness - right on the lake in East Jindabyne. It was a beautiful location and a very comfortable and cozy place. The owner Delia went out of her way to make our trip easy. We arrived very late at night and she had been to the property to turn the lights on, leave a torch and turn the heaters on so we didn't freeze that night. It was the perfect base to travel to Perisher each day - just a few minutes drive to the village and an easy trip from there up to the ski fields. I highly recommend the lakeside apartment if you want a quieter and more comfortable experience than that offered by places like the station.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank meveg
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I have just completed a three day horse trail ride, camping it out under the stars. I work very hard always staying away so needed a relaxing holiday but with a difference, Snowy Wilderness did the trick! Never been horse riding before & could not have asked for a more enjoyable time. The food provided was above expected, smoked rainbow trout for breakfast followed by turkey cranberry lunch then Osso Bucco for dinner - yum yum: this menu could be found @ The Rocks but I got it in the bush, amazing! The sleeping was what I wanted, camping in a swag but despite -1dgs, bedding provided was really comfortable & warm as toast however the rooms they offer for accomodation are perfect if you don't want to bush it. As I am a novice rider I didn't know what to expect, my teacher however was patient, kind & very helpful & I fell in love with the beautiful Brumby I got to ride. The trails were really enjoyable, I did not have difficulty on the rides even though we travelled a good distance & over varying terrains, the views were absolutely breath taking. In the morning the wild Brumby's would gallop on down past the camp giving a jaw dropping experience to see. On the rides native roos & wallabies would run along side in the distance adding to the occasion of awe this property provides with real Australiana. The company was superb, I went alone but rode with three others on the trail & thoroughly enjoyed their company talking into the nights around the campfire.With work I am always staying in motels & service varies but I give credit where credit is due & at Snowy Wilderness you really get a 5* experience, could not fault it. My deepest gratitude to Justin, Delia & Tinny, you guys Rock!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank MoniqueCrawford
Reviewed February 27, 2013

If you want partying and crowds then this isn't the place for you however if you want a different, special experience in the remoteness of the magical Australian bush then this is the place to go. The cabin is lovely and caters to all your needs ie tv, music/cd player/dvd player (and they even provide The Man from Snowy River which somehow seems more enjoyable being in the region it was made), fireplace with wood already chopped and fully self-contained kitchen. Floor to ceiling glass windows that look out to nothing but bushland and the local wildlife. We awoke the first morning and i sat up in bed and looked out to see two kangaroos having their breakfast a few feet away from us - they checked us out with curiosity as we did the same - what can I say I want to move to the bush!

Jindabyne isn't that far from Snowy Wilderness (30 mins) so if you do run out of anything you can pop into town it's a nice drive. We went on a couple of walks directly from the cabin and saw lots of wildlife - deer, heaps of kangaroos, possums, cows, horses, goats and i think even a wildcat.

Highyly recommended experience we hope to be back in winter. Only downside was we had to leave!

Room Tip: The cottage cabin is lovely however if you want a bit more luxury i would go for the next level up a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tashav
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My best recommendation when considering this property is that you plan to just stay put & chill out. The high country lodge accommodation is possibly the best we've stayed in, with top-of-the-range inclusions such as bedding and appliances. In mid-winter we fully appreciated the wood-burning fire, the huge, comfy bed with squishy pillows and warm, lightweight doona, and particularly the under-floor heating in the luxuriously appointed bathroom. We personally loved the uncurtained floor-to-ceiling windows which let in the early morning light and give uninterrupted views of the countryside, as there is, at present, only 1 other chalet nearby and the privacy is excellent. I also made timely use of the laundry with its Fisher & Paykel washer & dryer.

This property is fully self-contained, and due to its seclusion one needs to take all supplies in, as there's no nipping down to the corner shop for ingredients. Generous breakfast supplies are provided, and there is the option of having dinner supplied from the interesting menu, but you will need to upload this and order prior to requirement as many dishes are marinated and/or slow-cooked by Justin, who actually prepares the meal in the lodge kitchen. He & Delia will turn up at whatever time the meal needs to be started or completed and then stay whilst you eat so that Delia can prepare & serve the dessert.

We enjoyed getting to know them in this manner - there was more a feeling of staying with family than anything else, although it can be a little disconcerting if you had expected a romantic dinner for two, especially when dinnertime includes having Justin on the 'phone intermittently ! Nevertheless, having them cook adds another dimension to the experience of this friendly retreat, and Delia's desserts are scrumptious. Our favourite of Justin's offerings was definitely the slow-cooked lamb, and he is generous with it.

I enjoyed a horse ride through the ruggedly beautiful countryside while my husband wandered with his binoculars for a couple of hours, happily checking out the flora & fauna. Just breathing the air is a treat, but the views are wonderful and the whole experience balm for the soul. Be aware that when there's been heavy rain the track in is very treacherous - we would never have made it in without an all-wheel drive, and it was a pretty hairy experience. For that reason we decided not to be disappointed there was no snow, but we'd been through plenty on the way across Snowy Mountain Highway. Also note, quad bike riding has been discontinued due to changes in insurance premiums.

There are plans to build another 15 lodges + a restaurant, but I suspect these will be managed with the same consideration & taste as the existing two, which are complemented by a homestead & a remote cabin, also available to guests. Already existing is a wedding marquee which apparently has proved popular.

Were it not so far from Perth we would definitely plan to return. We definitely intend keeping in touch with our new friends, Justin & Delia.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple