“You get what you pay for-almost”

Snowy Valley Resort
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Jindabyne
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Like others we stayed here on a group tour and it appealed as it was cheap. When we checked in we found we were sharing a bathroom with 6-8 others which makes it hard to get up and ready in the morning in time for an early departure. The room itself was clean and warm.
The food is terrible and we ended up going into town for dinner even though it was included. If you like to party the saturday night at the bar was huge with live entertainment.
If you are looking for a cheap backpacker style drinking snow trip in budget accommodation that is what you get. Still probably avoid the food if you can.

• Stayed: June 2008
3  Thank Loweee

Reviewed April 12, 2010

We went down on a tour bus from sydney leaving friday night for the weekend.
On arrival a few of the guys got fitted out ski gear which wasnt until about 1am but better getting fitted out straight away then have to get up extra early.
Rooms consisted of bunk beds which we werent used to but were clean. The room was warm enough & had a fridge for our beers.
It was a standard hot breakie in the morning with enough to fill you up
The bar on saturday night was definately a highlight because of the live music.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed September 12, 2009

The management was rude to their staff and not at all accommodating to the needs of the guests. I found the food very ordinary, hardly edible. The staff was friendly and tried hard however the management were rude to the staff and customers alike.
We were not told about facilities, where they were or how to access them.
Pool was not opened.
I asked to move rooms because of noise I was brushed aside initially; I was given another room and told I could only stay one night. I had to move three times.
I found the manager did not care. I would not stay there again and would not recommend it to anyone under any circumstances.
The accommodation advertised transport but was not available. They serve drinks to under eighteens and at no time asked for ID.
We share a bathroom with over twelve people.
A tour Bus arrived well past midnight and as people were given rooms they were banging door all night.
We asked for a room for three persons it had two single beds and a sofa bed, unmade. When the sofa bed was pulled out ready to sleep it was in front of the door so we could not get out of the room.
There were no fixed fire alarms.
The heaters were butted up to the bed. A complete fire hazard.
No tea/coffee facility in the room.
The toilet leaked having a wet floor continually.
The room was very small not allowing adequate space for luggage.
The drying room is a shambles and things were taken.
The worst accommodation in Australia. Do Not Stay There. More comfortable in the caravan park.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank FairGo_ToAll
Reviewed August 18, 2009

This accommodation was part of a package deal and therefore the reason for staying here. I travelled with my sisters and a couple of friends (aged in our late teens to 20's) and shared a room for 6 people. We shared our bathroom with another room.

The room: As mentioned we stayed in a room with 3 bunk beds for 6 people. It was a bit cramped but we managed (I usually don't mind as I don't like to spend time in hotels) and our luggage made it worse, although there was a cupboard and a small empty bar fridge. The room was pretty clean and so was the linen, well except for 1 pillow. I recommend bringing your own pillow and maybe sheets if you're picky. My mattress was on an angle, but it was very comfortable and I had no trouble sleeping. The top bunks didn't have a safety bar, but really I don't recommend this place for a families in general. The temperature of the room was perfect.

The room summary: Typical of school camp/hostel accommodation.

The bathroom: The bathroom looked pretty clean, but for some reason looked like it had been used before we got there. We shared the bathroom with the room next door (in our section there were two rooms with a hallway and bathroom), so maybe they got there before us and used it, although I thought they were on the same tour so couldn't possibly have used it, but not sure.

The restaurant: It was more bistro/set meals kind of thing. The food was fine, not very healthy, but you're on holidays so enjoy yourself a bit. No complaints about the food really.

Location: It is not right in the town centre, so you'll need to drive down. We caught a taxi into town for some after dinner dessert; the price from the resort wasn't too bad as we split the coast between 5 of us (the taxi was a mini bus). We obtained the number from reception.

Reception: It was fine and they were helpful with our enquires.

The bar: One bit of advice, if you’re not the party type, stay away from the bar on the Saturday night.

Other: one night there was a bit of noise but it didn't last too long. There is also a cheap snow hire store on the premises.

Overall: I only came here because it was part of a cheap deal and I don't mind where I stay as long as it is safe and clean as I prefer to spend my time out of hotels. My stay was fine and un-eventful, although I'm going to check 'no' to would I recommend this to a friend, it is not because I had a bad stay, my stay was fine.

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank jo3113
Reviewed August 16, 2009

The low prices appealled to us. It didnt look to bad on the internet and was expecting cozy warm cabin style accomodation with some sort of communual fireplaces and hot chocolate to unwind after a hard day of skiing.
It was awful backpacker style accomodation that smelled funny.
Dusty, Dirty, doubted our sheets had even been changed. The crappy bashed up heater, summer doona, razor thin pillows and thin mattresses through which you could feel the slats and loud noisy generator or whatever it was kept me up all night. One room had a trundle bed..Pity the girl in my group that got that. Not exaggerating and I grew up in Africa so been able to stay in what i thought was bad but this was worse.
The hottub was cloudy and u had to pay for a change of towels. My advice is to get a group together, pack some sleeping bags pay for self contained apartment or something on the mountain

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank s3690288
Reviewed July 30, 2009

I have to agree with the other person...dont quite know how they get off calling themselves a resort. The moment we steped inside our very small cosy 6 bunk bed backpacker style room...complete with vomit only half cleaned up off the floor...I knew this was going to be memorable. With a spa I dare not set foot in....for fear of that white foaming smelly stuff floating on top....or the food that was served up in the so called restraunt that I wouldnt feed to my dog. Let alone the fact that there was no hot water on one evening, and also our heater was stuck on.....boiling hot so much so when I woke up the next day my face felt burnt & puffy. Oh and did i mention the saussage sizzel that they provided at a fee of $3.50 a saussage......the same saussages they served up for breakfast that didnt get eaten with the same stale multigran bread...that didnt get eaten from breakfast either.......A bar that was only licenced to serve 80....yet then let over 100+ intoxicated people party on until police turned up to shut the place down. All in all...it was very very memorable.

• Stayed: July 2009
7  Thank Sydney013
Reviewed April 22, 2009

I stayed here in Aug 2008 (great snow last year!). I was just checking some of the places I've stayed as noted the unhappy customer. I don't normally both with leaving comments but my experience was somewhat different. We stayed in a 4 share room that was good motel style accommodation. Rooms were walm but I wasn't complaining given it was zero degrees outside!
The place was a budget resort. It had all the facilities funky bar with great entertainment, bistro, indoor pool, out door spa, sauna and its own ski shop with the cheapest ski hire rates we could find.
There were plenty of international staff who we found firnedly and helpful. The canadian boys in the ski shop new what they were talking about!
Overall great experience and will hopefully be back again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank BenHendo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jindabyne
Rydges Horizons Snowy Mountains
#20 of 24 in Thredbo Village
Lake Jindabyne Hotel
Lake Jindabyne Hotel
#1 of 10 in Jindabyne

Been to Snowy Valley Resort? Share your experiences!