“WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!”

Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Jindabyne
Sydney
“WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

1. This place is a hostel with up to 20 people sharing one bathroom.
2. Rooms are dated.
3. Up top 12 people sharing one room.
3. Rooms are not secure from theft.
4. Noise is a problem with no avenues to report loud behaviour.
5. Bathrooms leaked water.
6. Rooms do not have electric blankets or adequate heaters.
7. Oz Snow Adventures who run ski trip and hostel lacked professionalism. Eg. Took bus driver 2 hours to put snow chairs on vehicle. The bus broke down delaying trip by over 3 hours and therefore meant public transport was not available with no compensation offered by the company.
8. Food was inedible.
9. Not value for money at all.
10. Females would not feel safe staying in this environment.
11. Rooms were dirty.

I would not recommend this place to stay at place.

I would not recommend to travel with Oz Snow Adventures.

While the price of these trips may seem appealing initially, it is not worth it and you would be better staying at another Jindabyne location and catching bus down with Greyhound or Murray's.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank BlancTiger
SnowValResort, General Manager at Snowy Valley Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
1. We have various configurations of rooms with max 10 guest's sharing a bathroom.
2. Rooms are a little dated like a majority of budget accommodation in Jindabyne but are clean with mountain views.
3. As we have various room configurations( 2 - 4 -6 -8 share). Guests can request which room configuration is appropriate during booking process
3. All rooms lock with guests requiring their own key on check in.
4. Reception is open to mid night, same as bar. Any noise issues can be addressed
5. Any problems with bathrooms etc can be fixed straight away if reception is notified
6. Rooms are centrally heated. I don't know many hotels that use electric blankets?
7. I'm sorry there was bus issues from OZSNOW but was awesome to have new snow on the ground!
8. More specific feed back on food is needed for comment
9. We are one of cheapest accommodation's in Jindabyne so always good value when comparing prices
10. All of our rooms lock & require keys. We have onsite security guards on weekends
11. More specific feedback on room cleanliness is needed for comment

I'm disappointed that your stay with us was a negative experience for you & hoped you did enjoy some of the resort facilities during your stay. ie. heated pool/sauna/spa/onsite ski shop/bar(live music)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed July 8, 2013

To start, overall I loved my trip. Went with Oz Snow Adventures for the 6 day trip. Was GREAT value. I think where people are disappointed is the place is called a resort but really it is a dormitory style. A real party atmosphere.... so noise can be a problem. Also, I think the rooms could be better organised... eg, the buses always roll in at midnight or later, so they should try and put people on the same trip in the same room. I had guys come in at 1.30am on a 3 day trip. Was annoying! I tried to book a private room, but they were booked out. 12 people sharing one bathroom was frustrating also.

The rooms were clean and warm (when the central heating comes on at 1630hrs). Staff were friendly. Theres a bar and night club there. Live band on Wednesdays and Saturdays. They were awesome! The Saturday lot played at River Inn in Thredbo on Saturday Arve then came back with us on the bus. Got VERY loose, which was great! Not really a family sort of atmosphere. The have quiz nights on Tuesdays as well. All the staff were fun and friendly.

Meals were good for what you pay for. Bistro style... nothing fancy. Added bonus was $15 bistro lunch at Thredbo River Inn to!

Note, if you're going for ski hire and want quality performance gear, then I'd hire from Jindy. The stuff they had was purely for beginners. You get what you pay for there! I had my own gear so this didnt bother me... just what I observed when checking out other peoples hire gear.

Over all, a positive experience. Like I said... don't expect a resort... this is pure party hostel style accommodation!

Room Tip: Get a private room unless you want to be woken by bus arrivals at midnight!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Be clear: this property is a cheap hostel, in the middle of nowhere. If you're used to staying at 3-stars-and-up hotels when travelling, like I do, you'll be very disappointed. I was here due to booking a ski trip from ozsnowadventures with a group of friends (whom made the stay somewhat bearable).

Not all rooms have ensuite bathroom/toilet. E.g. the 6-bed rooms shares the bathroom with another 6-bed room. Due to the high number of people sharing the toilet/bathroom, it inevitably get filthy really quickly. The water pressure was not

The room itself looks old and dark (not enough lighting inside), not very well heated, and has poor air circulation. Does not feel clean nor healthy at all. The bunk beds made lots of noise, the bed does not feel "fresh" nor clean.

Facilities are... overrated. They're just there to tick the boxes, nothing special. The meals (breakfast, dinner) was barely eatable (what can you expect...). The ski rental works alright and I guess was cheaper than onsite at the slopes.

Overall, quite poor really. I don't think I'll be back, next time I'll just drive myself and stay somewhere else in Jindabyne (downtown, not middle of nowhere like this).

Room Tip: Travel in a group and get the 10bed room so you won't have to share the room / bathroom with str...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank galaxynexus

Travelers are raving about these Jindabyne hotels

Reviewed June 17, 2013

This review is based on a personal experience, we had a scoupon deal so 9 of us thought it would be a good deal considering we had hire included and the usuals for 229.

On the bus ride when we had a break, the guide Rece decided to move everyone's seats in favour for some rowdy drunks without notification or any concern for the rest of the bus.

we had a few questions for them too like how is the snow at thredbo and all we got was brainless comments back.
THe accommodation was crap but we expected that as it is a low budget place, the heater was tiny and diddnt work properly, the shower head was broken and the beds were so noisy that it was impossible to have a good night sleep.
The bbq chicken they served for dinner tasted like paper, worst I have tasted in my life.

Because of this my friends and I will never again take any package to the snowies. I highly detest the company and do not recommend this to anyone, it's not worth it.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank jell90
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This was the worst accommodation ever! Indescribably bad, dirty, uncaring staff, revolting pool, broken skis, disgusting food. We had great snow but nothing to do with Ozsnow who we booked the tour with!

Room Tip: Don't bother, noisy, dirty, crowded, unsafe, miles from town.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank skibunny198090
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stay here when I jump on the awesome OzSnow ski package and I love it!
The resort itself is pretty ordinary, but the experience is fabulous! And the staff are amazing! That is what makes this quick snow trip away worthwhile.

It is a place where you get what you pay for. I have stayed in 2 types of 6 person dorms. And they're basic but have what you need - bed, bathroom and heating. Some of the rooms are smaller and others bigger. So having the bigger room gives you more space to put your wet clothes after a day on the slopes.

Where the Snowy Valley Resort is located is not right in Jindabyne. So if you plan on visiting the town, etc. you will need a car. On the OzSnow package, they include transport to the slopes and back, so that makes things easy. And there is a bar/pub on site which has live music.

All in all, it is the staff that make this place rock! They make you feel comfortable and make the whole experience a lot of fun and easy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank the_ange23
Mansfield, Australia
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Background
---------------
I book a snow package through Oz Snow which included return trip from Sydney and national park entry free for everyday. Room rate worked out very cheap after subtracting return transport from Sydney ($190) and national park fee ($33/3 days) coming to only about $25/night including meals. That's a bargain.

Location
----------
Snowy Valley Resort is far far far away from everything, except a service station with small minimart and a good view of Lake Jindabyne. It's 9km from Jindabyne town centre. It's not a problem if you have your own car or you're with a tour group with no desire to go anywhere on your own, but if you don't have a car and want to go anywhere you're stuck unless very lucky that someone from the hotel is going to town.

Lake Jindabyne view is spectacular, though. I wish I had time to walk down to the lake.

Reception/Staff
-------------------
I only talked to them twice during my 3-day stay, when checking in and when checking out, so I didn't find them good nor bad.

Room/Housekeeping
--------------------------
The room I stayed was a 7-shared room (3 bunks + 1 single) with one bathroom. The room was acceptably clean and bed made up during the days.

There were 5 of us at the time and some didn't need morning shower so bathroom wasn't much of a problem. However, if the room is full and everyone wants morning shower then that can be a problem. They should separate shower and toilet so that two people can do their business at the same time.

There were only two power outlets in the room. One was dedicated to the heater and the other is shared by everyone. Luckily, as a regular backpacker, I knew this could be coming. I'd packed a 6-way power outlet with me, hence, everyone was happy. No fighting over power outlet for mobile phones.

It was quite quiet during the nights. Nobody seemed to care about partying. Maybe it was a low season during September. Therefore, good night sleep quality was met.

Restaurant/Meals
---------------------
It wasn't a restaurant exactly. More like place they served food during meal times. I'm not sure about lunch because we were up the slope.

Breakfast was just, well, really basic breakfast, bacon, eggs, bread that kind of stuff.

Dinner was exactly the same as breakfast (during the time I stayed.)

Only 3 breakfasts and 1 dinner so I could made it through.

Bistro
-------
There is a small bistro and liquor bar next to the reception. We had a small party on third night. There are two pay-to-play pool tables if you want to play.

Equipment Hire
-------------------
Their main equipment hire store is here so if you need to swap or fix your hired equipment, it's very easy. (You can also speak to people at River Inn at Friday Flat if you need help with equipment during the day.)

Parking
---------
There is plenty of parking space at Snowy Valley Resort.

Other Facilities
------------------
There is a swimming pool and spa to be used free of charge. I didn't use either of them.

Summary
------------
It's a really good deal if booked through snow package, but I'd look somewhere else that offers a better deal like those offered through group booking sites if I happen to drive from Sydney and stay in this area.

Room Tip: If you have a choise, ie. not booking through snow package where you can't choose your room, as...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo