“Rude, insulting staff; a bad hotel with a bad attitude”

Dorsal Boutique Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Forster
Australia
“Rude, insulting staff; a bad hotel with a bad attitude”
Reviewed January 9, 2010

Never had my partner and I been so insulted by rude and patronising staff before. The woman who was behind the front desk for most of our stay was unwelcoming and offensive. We are very hassle-free guests; we make no demands, we ask for no favours.

However, from the moment we stepped foot in the front door of this hotel, we were treated like vermin. The Receptionist had a bad attitude.

Also, the driveway is so steep our car scraped (a regular family sedan) and it was obvious that many other people had too, on further inspection.

The included 'free' breakfast that we were offered was an embarassment. It was so paltry that you virtually had to pay their exhorbitant prices for something off the menu. They had two cereal options, white bread only and instant sachet tea and coffee. For around $400 per night you would expect a lot better.

Also, we only stayed there because they could guarantee undercover secure parking (I've had bad open air parking experiences in Forster before.) Well, well, well... what do you know. We return to the hotel after a bit of sightseeing and the undercover car park is choc full.

Save your money and and do not stay at this hotel. Especially during summer as the rooms overlook a car park near the beach where teenage thugs congregate late at night and you simply cannot sleep. When you ring Reception, nobody answers.

A truly awful and horrible experience.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 44Trapaga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
sydney
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I booked a 'suite' online and had been hoping for something more than a room with a view. It was our 25th wedding anniversary at $200 per night was more than we'd ever spent on accommodation per night before. Great view yes, but the room was very minimal - but certainly ot zen like, one small bag rack, a TV on the wall and a narrow sidetable, 2 armchairs, a single and a king bed. The king bed was in-fact two singles held together with a king sheet.
dinner was a big disappointment - I ordered a seafood grill - thought it would actually be grilled - I don't like/eat batter. Prawns battered, calamari battered, muscles battered,
the piece of salmon (about 2"x3" and 1cm thick) was like eating dry cardboard - soo overcooked, barrmundi was just a couple of pieces that were dried out and super crispy on the bottom - how long had they sat on the grill I wonder!
husbands black chicken was good - I wish I'd sent mine back and had this instead.
breakfast OK except the sachets of powdered coffee - not even drip coffee
won't be in a hurry to eat there again
Great views of the beach but not anywhere the kind of weekend I had been hoping for.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thmoore
forster
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Gail has to be the rudest person I have ever had the misfortune to deal with in business. Her attitude to me as a customer was appalling. My booking didn't actually happen because two times she quoted prices only to increase them on confirmation!!! and when I questioned the repeated error, she actually said to me "do you want the rooms or not, it really doesn't matter, we have the triathletes coming".
So if you want to avoid her attitude do yourself a favour, go elsewhere and leave her to the triathletes, maybe she is nice to them? HA HA, I doubt it! The other huge BONUS of going elsewhere is I actually saved over $800.00 and accommodated 20 instead of 15 people in my group booking!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank happytotravelandtell

Travelers are raving about these Forster hotels

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed September 27, 2009

The Dorsal is located right opposite Forster's Main Beach and is ideally located to stroll to Foster's small shopping district, stroll along the beach or walk down to Marina or over the bridge to Tuncurry. lots of great little cafes & restuarnts with 2 to 10 minute walk. The hotel has a very good restuarant and throught the week has theme nights. The pricing is top end for Forster but staff and service are excellent. The Continental Breakfast on offer is a little basic, just small packets of cereal (limited choice), juice and self serve tea or coffee with toast. You can order hot food from the menu and this is plentiful and reasonably priced. The room we stayed in was a one bedroom studio style with a large balcony and views all the way along the coast north, bar fridge prices are very reasonable even if the choice is limited. Note no snacks in the mini bar but there are a number of shops nearby, grab some cheese, cold meats, olives etc, nice wine, sit on the balcony and watch the action on the beach and endless vista of the Pacific Ocean.

I would definetly stay here again and is a perfect spot for a weekend getaway or even a longer holiday stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Renmark
Reviewed April 9, 2009

It was only after complaining about this 'Hotel' to friends that I found out about this website. The other reviewers are spot on.
The views are incredible (although you needed to stand on an open-air balcony and stretch your neck to see them from our room) but the service, staff and value is a downright farce.
We were promised an amazing beach view - but we got a partial view of trees and a grubby-looking ocean bath with old men in speedos.
We were promised an amazing breakfast - we got a tawdry school camp-style breakfast.
We were promised a romantic weekend - we got hoons in noisy cars on the street below all night.
We expected trendy, funky, professional service - we got staff who were rude, unpleasant and cranky. It was like they didn't want us (or other guests) to be there.
The website on which I booked this hotel promises 'a new hotel offering the best of facilities' - I queried this and the staff told me it is five years old. It shows as the slabs in the walls in our room were coming apart. The paranoid tourist in me had visions of a building collapse. The walls desperately need painting also.
The facilities were much more like a motel and furnished a bit like a gaol cell. They don't even have a swimming pool. As a cheapish-motel this would have been a very pleasing night's stay. But at $280 per night we expected much, much better. They falsely advertise and are grossly over priced. Steer clear!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NajiTura
sydney
Reviewed March 25, 2009

View from room was why we stayed. Decided to break journey on a wild sea and rainy night so were happy to pay more to have this view. Weather meant balcony was unusable but it really was a stormy night and we had no problem with this.

The negatives were lack of storage in a space which with good design would provide more than ample room, the price which on check out was more than that quoted on check in, receptionist who really seemed on both check in and out not to want to be there, and an ordinary breakfast.

Would usually not recommend at these prices but the sight and sound of a beautiful ocean location may, in a weak moment, tempt us back ....

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sydneynavigators
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 10, 2009

Stayed here for a weekend last year in the off-season. Very disappointing value, for the price (over $200 for 1 night) expected a nicer atmosphere. I made a mistake in booking dates, and couldn't get the deluxe room I'd paid for so got downgraded but no refund for the difference,just a voucher to use in the restaurant. The balcony was v. disappointing -narrow and without a roof, so the rainy weather meant we couldn't sit there getting fresh air without being drenched. However, room quality was high, and it was fully booked, so they are obviously popular. Nice and clean, roomy, but grey shaded interiors were a bit dull and businesslike for a beachy weekend. Breakfast was a massive disappointment - worse than a youth hostel, and apparently $30 pp!! OJ, awful coffee, boring toast - skip it and head to Chili Jam on main street or the beach kiosk up the road overlooking beach - much much much nicer! Will not be back.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple