“Really good in some areas less so in others”

Hog's Breath Cafe Forster
Ranked #27 of 81 Restaurants in Forster
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Australian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Lake Macquarie
“Really good in some areas less so in others”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Hog's Breath now is a little like eating a KFC or a McDonalds - you are used to it, know what you are going to get and the are only a smaller number of variables like service, quality of cooking and atmosphere that are location specific.

We went on a Saturday night, so it was certainly busy time.

The service was actually very good (I've come not to expect this in these massive seasonal locations that need to bring in a lot of new or short term labour to help). Fast, came back for repeat drink orders at the right intervals, took care of the bill quickly and had and used a great system to remember who ordered what.

The food was cooked perfectly. It is what it is in a Hogs Breath, but cooked really well and to order.

The atmosphere is an interesting one and raised by another reviewer. It get really really noisy in this cafe. It's not that people are being overly loud, but the noise seems to be trapped and no mechanisms in place to quell it.

Got to the point that I could not hear what others at our table were saying and just wanted to get out of there.

If you like Hog's Breath this is one worth going to. I would suggest trying to avoid the busy times if possible.

• Visited January 2014

Sydney, Australia
“Consistently good food, let down by amateurs posing as waiters”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We like Hogs Breath cafes all over, and we visit the Forster outlet whenever we holiday here. On this occasion we were a party of eight at 5.30 pm on a Wednesday, so there was no 'busy' excuse. Maybe the waiters were learning but they needed supervision.

They have a great seat numbering system at each table that allows groups to quickly and easily work out who ate and drank what for later cost allocation, but the waiters don't seem to take any notice of it when serving - on this occasion they managed to serve every drink to the wrong person, and when the meals arrived (over a 10 minute period!) they were all served at one end of a table that had easy access all around, requiring hot plates to be passed along from person to person. A very odd experience! One waiter had "Mitchypoo" on his name badge so perhaps our expectations should have been lower, but frivolity and fun don't excuse failure to meet the most basic rules of table service, especially with Sydney-level prices of around $30/head plus drinks. The drinks waitress claimed never to have heard of Cinzano, and when I informed her it was a brand of vermouth, she denied any knowledge of that as well. She coped comfortably when I changed my order to a Diet Coke, admirably resisting the urge to ask her if she had heard of that! Hopefully the lack of a tip was correctly interpreted by someone!

Luckily the below-par table service wasn't duplicated in the kitchen. All eight meals were excellent and beautifully presented (albeit not well time-co-ordinated), so we'll continue to be repeat customers for as long as the kids enjoy the curly fries.

• Visited January 2014
Pokolbin, Australia
“Far too noisy.”
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

The food was pleasant, the drinks cold & the service friendly but I couldn't have a conversation with my dining companion due to the horrendous noise! I don't know if it's just poor acoustics or if it was just an especially rowdy crowd but it was impossible to enjoy the meal! We ended up skipping dessert in favour of having ice cream on the beach due to the noise!

Windsor, South Australia, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible place to eat”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I've been there twice, the first time the waitress spilt my drink all over the table and food was stone cold.
The second time, the waiter treated me like we were "old" friends. the service was very slow. This was early in the night and was only one other group there. AGAIN THE FOOD WAS COLD.
Not happy, Jan.
I won't be back

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Russell E
“Great steak, great service”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I had lunch their the other day and the staff was lovely and as they say you can't go past their steak it's awesome.
Would recommend it for anyone