“Great location, value and people”

and 1 more site!
Coogee Beach Backpacker Hostel
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Great location across road from beach, 15 mins from city and it's a great hostel with nice people and great value for money still staying there now definitely the best hostel I've stayed in so far would definitely recommend staying there

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I came down 2 check in,,reception closed so i left some of my bags in the dining/kitchen/lounge/recption area as 1 other friendly guest knew more than the receprionest on the phone did! called back later moved my stuff in 3 SUITCASES UP DODGY 3 FLIGHTS OF STAIRS WHILE THE MANAGER WALKS AHEAD OF ME ??? I went to work (babysittin) receptionest rings says shes accidently put me in the wrong room,so we agree il move in the morning! NO I come back that night 2 find 2 other guests have broken in2 my room and are both haven sex!!! My suitcases had been taken out of that room WITH OUT MY PERMISSION and put IN the 'tv room' NO INDICATION ON WHICH BED WAS MINE clean dirty all looked the same the matress was old worn out and smelly I DONT KNOW HOW SAND GETS ON A TOP BUNK BUT HEY NOTHING SURPRISES ME HERE?? receptionest on balcony drinking if u need any help! got my key deposit taken of me because i had 2 wait on a taxi at 11.15 ooo yea 15min 30$ 4 more jim beam 4 reception! i booked here 4 a week stayd 1 night u feel dirty even walking around it! THERE IS ANOTHER BACKPACKERS 2 MIN UP THE ROAD 100X CLEANER!!! AND CHEAPER!!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Want the experience of bedbugs crawling in your skin to start off your Australian holiday? Want scabs all over your body in every beachside photo of your trip? Want to save money by staying at a backpackers and then spend the same amount on pharmaceutical creams so that you don't scratch your skin to shreds? Then this is the perfect place!
After the staff told to send an email to get a refund, and the many months, emails and phone calls this took to achieve (and not the full amount!) I can suggest its better to camp on the beach across the road than step foot in this infested hell hole.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank johannadrum
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Great friendly staff, really social environment stayed here for 2 months while I found a permanent apartment before I started uni. So happy I stayed here I met all the friends I have now. Highly recommended if you are traveling alone.

Room Tip: If your a girl you can stay in the girl only dorm which is massive with a tv and lounge.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Good facilities, friendly staff and superb location.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed here for just over a week with OzIntro back in 2009, who help you find work and get you setteled into Aussie. It was the best start to a trip ever, Great location to beach, pubs, food, shops ect. It was a bit basic but then again when staying in a backpackers i dont expect much, just a bed and working shower, which it had and was clean and fully working. I met some of the best people there too, from other backpackers to the staff everyone was great to talk to and have a luagh with. Would reccomend for any backpacker.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I did not choose this hostel myself-I stayed as part of a group tour organised by Ozintro, a company that gets you started on a working holiday in Oz.

We stayed there for a week, all of us solo travellers and we were all desperate to get out by the end of the week!

The main problem was that it simply wasn't clean- I did see the cleaners coming in on a daily basis but I think they must have done the minimum. The bathrooms were not clean and there aren't enough for the number of dorms they have.

Dorms themselves are not actually cleaned, the only thing is a linen change which is done at the end of your stay when you take your used linen to reception.

No air con- I know it's a hostel but there are many others in central Sydney for the same price that have this!!

No lockers in rooms- again other hostels of similar price have this.

I didn't realise this until I got there, but Coogee is a very noisy, party suburb of Sydney, so it was noisy at night with drunk people shouting etc, and as there was no air con we had to leave the windows open ALL the time.

Would not recommend as there are so, so many other, much nicer hostels in Sydney for the same price. If I had know this was the kind of place I would be staying I wouldn't have booked with Ozintro either!

Room Tip: There are no lifts and no ground floor rooms so be prepared to lug your bags up a few flights of sta...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo