“I love this place”

Surfside Backpackers
“I love this place”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Good facilities, friendly staff and superb location.

• Stayed May 2012

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Stourport on Severn, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed here for just over a week with OzIntro back in 2009, who help you find work and get you setteled into Aussie. It was the best start to a trip ever, Great location to beach, pubs, food, shops ect. It was a bit basic but then again when staying in a backpackers i dont expect much, just a bed and working shower, which it had and was clean and fully working. I met some of the best people there too, from other backpackers to the staff everyone was great to talk to and have a luagh with. Would reccomend for any backpacker.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I did not choose this hostel myself-I stayed as part of a group tour organised by Ozintro, a company that gets you started on a working holiday in Oz.

We stayed there for a week, all of us solo travellers and we were all desperate to get out by the end of the week!

The main problem was that it simply wasn't clean- I did see the cleaners coming in on a daily basis but I think they must have done the minimum. The bathrooms were not clean and there aren't enough for the number of dorms they have.

Dorms themselves are not actually cleaned, the only thing is a linen change which is done at the end of your stay when you take your used linen to reception.

No air con- I know it's a hostel but there are many others in central Sydney for the same price that have this!!

No lockers in rooms- again other hostels of similar price have this.

I didn't realise this until I got there, but Coogee is a very noisy, party suburb of Sydney, so it was noisy at night with drunk people shouting etc, and as there was no air con we had to leave the windows open ALL the time.

Would not recommend as there are so, so many other, much nicer hostels in Sydney for the same price. If I had know this was the kind of place I would be staying I wouldn't have booked with Ozintro either!

Room Tip: There are no lifts and no ground floor rooms so be prepared to lug your bags up a few flights of sta...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Lauren C

Travelers are raving about these Coogee hotels

Reviewed March 12, 2012

This place was awful! not clean and the 6 bed dorm was the entrance to 2 other dorms so in reality a 14 bed dorm with one bathroom! Blankets and beds were taken in the middle of the stay! could not wait to leave this terrible place...worst australian hostel I've ever stayed at!!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Lozzie10
Dublin
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Bed bugs, cockroaches and no proper staff it appears, just backpackers doing the cleaning, odd jobs and reeception in return of a free bed! As a result the dorms are filthy and the kitchen is pretty gross too! There are lots of other places in Sydney that cost around the same, try somewhere else!!

• Stayed November 2011
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I originally planned to stay here for 2 weeks but ended up getting trapped in coffee and stayed here for around 2 months. The price of this place is way to high for what you get and the management are useless, one manager stole my iPod and refused to give it back for a week because he didn't like the music we were listenening too. I ended up leaving because I was kicked out and banned from the hostel down to the pure fact the management didn't like my group of friends. BUT as much as I hated te management and the way this place is run I would still recommend it, hands down the best days of my life where whilst I stayed here

• Stayed December 2010
birmingham
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We could have stayed in the crowne plaza for the same price- i was told the error in charging would be refunded but the member of staff able to do refunds wasn't there. Now they ignore emails and surprisingly I have seen none of the money. Locked out on arrival due to office times. Shower had no lock. Disappointed really.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple