“Stayed her for months”

Surfside Backpackers
“Stayed her for months”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

Dirty.....yes, not the best service....true enough.....best times of my life......definitely! Come on people it's a HOSTEL not a HOTEL. I will always look back at my time with real affection and a fondness for the memories that are up there with my wedding and child being born! Surf side rocks!

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank mattblue78

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

My boyfriend and I arrived at the Hostel at 9.45pm. Upon arrival we soon realised that we had been locked out of the Hostel and were left waiting outside for 20 minutes. Luckily another guest arrived who let us into the building. Furthermore we were left to wait another 20 minutes as we were informed that the receptionist was "getting pissed" at the bar across the road. Finally we were given our room keys but told that we would have to check in in the morning as the receptionist was eager to return to his bar. We walked into our room to find filthy, slept-in bedding on both beds (They actually had flakes of skin in!!!!). In addition the room was boiling hot and combined with the lack of cleanliness in the room - it made it completely unbearable. There was the smallest windows and no AC or fans on a 30+ degree day!!!!
We attempted to have a shower but the bathrooms were even worse than the filthy room. Inevitably we left the hostel without even staying a night but were unable to check out properly as the member of staff had headed straight back to the bar.
We lost all our money and have recieved the worst customer service from the manager since!!!!!! RUDE RUDE RUDE!!!!!!

Photographs to follow...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TravellerGM

Travelers are raving about these Coogee hotels

Santiago, Chile
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

Please do not stay here. It may have a good location but that is where the benefits end. Just to give you a picture of the place. You arrive at the entrance door and there is always Mcdonalds rubbish lying there with cockroaches rummaging through it. There are then 59 steps up to the reception area as there is no lift. The receptionist will then ask you for a $30 key deposit each and then inform you that this is not fully refundable as some of this goes towards paying the cleaning staff. We opened the door to our private double room and found sand everywhere, the rooms are not clean. There was huge luminated exit sign in our room, this indicates that the room was recently converted from a corridor space and they have not bothered to remove this sign. The exit sign lighted up the room at night and it was very hard to sleep. The main dorms look like prison cells, people have to resort to getting extremely drunk in order to sleep in the rooms. The rooms do not look remotely like the photos on the website. I hope this gives you a truer reflection of the place. It was so bad we did not bother to stay for the last night of our trip and moved elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank noelearley
Hoboken, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

This isn't a hostel to stay at if you want peace and quiet. People are running around all day and night being social. Most of the rooms are pretty big although the one I stayed in (mixed 6) was quite small, but still fine. The common area is great for meeting people - it's very open and there is a big dinner table to gather around and play cards etc. The view is great - right across from coogee beach! The bathrooms are fine too - I never once had to wait for a shower, and I woke at pretty normal times (9a, although maybe that is early for backpackers!). I would come back and stay here. I read all of the bad reviews and I think people need to understand that it's a hostel - it's not supposed to be luxurious and quiet. It's where people who want cheap accommodation go to and also where people meet, so yes, it's going to be loud.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank tifina11
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

I enjoyed my stay at surfside only because I made a lot of really great friends but the staff are rude and check your receipts cos you'll find yourself being charged differently one wee to the next! The owner was taking peoples key deposits off them right, left and center for menial things (took $30 deposit off my mate for throwing playing cards about) and don#t bother asking for change for the washer/dryer, cos they'll never have any, anytime! Too many people taking drugs also, which the management turned a blind eye to, even the receptionist was on it!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank poppadiddypop
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

surfside backpackers bondi beach, We had booked here before coming to aus, for 2 weeks over xmas and new yr. with things included 'free' things which were free anyway, or a bbq which was badly organised and turned out to be a sausage little did we know we could of stayed somewhere else alot NICER and cheaper!!! anyway the worst thing was, apart from all the 18 yr old chavs, was one night a boy got into my bed and tried it on - i looked over to see if my friend was there asleep and she wasnt i texted her to find out where she was, she told me 2 ppl above her had come in and started to have sex in the bunk bed above her!!!! and she couldnt sleep. When reception opened at 8, we complained to richard the manager, he said to me i should of been glad he choose me out of the whole of the hostel to get into bed with, and u never know it could of been him!! and that i should of closed my eyes and imagined it was brad pitt and enjoyed it, ridiculas!!!!!!!!!!! this was very unprofessional and was basically making it out to be a joke, when it was a serious matter and i could of gone tothe police about it, after he promised us a private room, he told us to wait a whole day b4 we can move to the private room, at 4pm he says hes promised it to someone else now, u can go in the dorm next door to the previous one, by this time the whole hostel knew who i was, and i was very embarrsed because he had told every1. i said no thanks wed rather get a refund, he said no ill move u 2 sister hostel in coogee. so at 9pm on xmas eve we arrive at coogee hostel, she tells us there is no room, we tell her tht richard sent us she tells us to sit and wait!!!!! again, then rings him, then gives us keys to a dorm, (promised private) we walk down our flip flops sticking to the floor boards, and we didnt no which bed was clean. it was so dirty !!! and also condom welcome pack!! nice!!! we left these hostels and luckily stayed at a friends house. It is the worst hostel ive ever stayed at in the whole of my travels. Wasnt secure, anyone can walk in, cockroaches all over kitchen and they were putting bun beds in the tv room, so no 1 could use it. DO NOT BOOK TO STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Alicew08
Bucks
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2010

I stayed here with OzIntro and although Ozintro is great fun, this hostel that they use is not!

The reception/checkin area/kitchen/internet terminal/dinner table are all in a very small area. When we arrived on the 1st day of the tour, the place was full of backpacks from us and the ones that had just finished their week with Ozintro.

There are 4 showers for women and 4 for men and same amount of toilets for around 40 ozintro people and how many other guests. Dorm room i was in was a 12 bed dorm just below the kitchen, it was noisy all night with people shouting, screaming, running up and down the stairs and corridors and banging on the floor. On top of this for some reason the hostel had speakers placed outside our room playing rap and rnb music probably from a CD player until 4am; when I went upstairs to speak to someone about it (although reception was shut) no one knew anything about it and said it was nothing to do with them.

one washing machine and 2 dyers, if you can get them as the staff seem to be constantly using them to wash sheets!

You have to get your dishes and stuff from reception so tough luck if reception is closed! + a $30 key deposit!!!

Security is bad, no lockers in rooms and I would not trust the staff with valuable items ad they seem to be p*ssed all the time

Good points however - great view of the beach, a lovely coffee place and smoothie bar just by it, Mcdonalds (if you dont want to cook in the disgusting kitchen) and '5 0s', a cheap bar downstairs from hostel where you can get a steak and beer for $10.

After the week, Ozintro did ask us to fill in a comment sheet and I think many of us said they need to change the hostel they operate out of

If you are doing Ozintro just dont expect to much from the accomodation

• Stayed November 2009