“Rude, horrible staff!”

Coogee Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Coogee
“Rude, horrible staff!”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We booked several rooms for a staff Christmas party. I will admit that we may have been loud as we were playing a game of poker and enjoying the views from our balcony.
At around 10 pm we received a knock on the door from security telling us to vacate our room as we were being noisy.
I respect that other guest may have been inconvenienced by our noise, however I would have appreciated a call to ask us to keep quiet before they sent four surly, mean looking bouncers to our room to kick us out. We were are staff party of hospitality workers so we are understanding and would have kept quiet or left the hotel to ensure we did not upset any other guest.
I had stayed at the Coogee Bay hotel before however I will not be returning as i was disgusted by how we were treated.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank Gypsiewinter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Stayed there for 4 days over X'Mas. I asked for early check in and the room was ready when we arrived at 11 am. I paid for a city view room as ocean view rooms are expensive. However we were given a room with ocean view . We did not have a balcony but I won't complain as I paid only for a city view room. Room was spacious as well as the bathroom. Rooms were serviced daily. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast (buffet) was fruits, several types of cereal, fruit juice, coffee or tea (one free per person), toast with hot food options available for a fee. Beach is across the street from the hotel. There is a lot of good restaurants near the hotel. Noise was not a problem at all. Once we closed our windows we were not troubled by the noise from the beer garden. I think most reviews were referring to pub style accommodation which is closer to the bar. We felt safe and enjoyed out stay.
I was worrying after reading reviews and luckily I did not change my mind. I will be staying there again and will recommend this place to others too.

Room Tip: Specifically ask for boutique style rooms and request an upper floor if you need ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Curlewis, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I was a tad nervous to stay ...I have been to pubs that a pretty dodgy.....but this one is good for the price. Don't expect 5 star, but if you want a bed, air conditioned room, own bathroom and a television this is good value for the money.
Their website does warn there may be some noise, so we were prepared for it, but thought it wasn't too bad.
Great dining both in pub and surrounds, beach across the road. Secure parking in shade. Coogee a great area.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AngeM2381
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

So it's New Year's Eve, myself and my fiancé are visiting my brother and his girlfriend and lovely friends.
We arrive at 5pm, get a table at Coogee and all seems well and all in high spirits, until it hits 8pm - suddenly we're told my fiancé has the wrong kind of top on and can't stay - we ask why we weren't told this when we arrived? They said that's the rules.
So we get him a top to wear from a friend and we can stay.
We don't want it to ruin our night and we just didn't know the rules so we let it go.
11pm comes and we decide to try out the night club.
We are then told my fiancé can't be in shorts and we won't be allowed in the club at all.
If we had been told this when we arrived we would have turned around and popped back on the bus to change.
Now it's nearly midnight and we have no time to go back and change.
Why didn't they make the rules clear when we arrived?
So we decide to let it go again and wait for midnight. They then tried to eject one of our friends 5 minutes before midnight for it appeared no reason at all?? What the hell??! It New Year's Eve and you're asking someone to leave just before the big moment? Have some decency.
So now it's just after midnight and no one can go in the club because my fiancé has shorts on.
I asked to speak to the manager to explain that we have been in Oz for just 4 days, it's New Year's Eve and no one told us the rules on entry about dress code - so why wait until we have no other options to tell us he's wearing the wrong things?
We decided to leave, and just for standing up for ourselves - the owner made the police grab us outside even though we were already trying to leave, without any trouble.
A security guard then smashed my drink into my face removing it from my hand as I just tried to finish it so we could go.
Power mad security, no clear guidelines for tourists as they arrive and an arrogant owner who then continued to speak abuse to our whole group as we left.
Our group included Ozzy natives and they were absolutely shocked at how they treated us.
We were made to feel like outsiders just because we chose to question their actions.
We were not rowdy, we were not highly intoxicated, we were simply appalled at the lack of respect and kindness to others at the place.
I will never go back and I urge anyone not to give your money to such a foul business owner.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Cherry S

Travelers are raving about these Coogee hotels

Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I had been away on a scuba diving weekend and decided to stay here for the night as I arrived back in Coogee late on a Sunday evening and needed somewhere to stay before my flight back to the UK the following day.

Location: Great, right on the beach, I have visited Sydney twice now and I genuinely think Coogee beach is nicer than Bondi, the hotel is right in the middle of the town so your close to everything.

Staff were friendly, the room was very nice, looked like it had been recently refurbished, it was a shame I was only there one night really. Breakfast was a bit of a let down, very very basic, toast and cereal, would have been nice for a few more options - maybe I am being a bit picky now though!

Would stay here again, I also paid extra for a late check out, they let me stay till 6pm as my flight didn't leave till late in the evening, staff are very nice and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank andyroooo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Very nice spot for the family or friends and nice food. Go for a swim then come back for a relaxing afternoon with friends and family. They serve big meals so you won't go hungry. Great kids menu as well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jasmine P
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Decent hotel with a good bar and plenty of events going on. Only downside is that there's no train going to Coogee and therefore you're left to get the bus or taxi if you don't live in Coogee. Apart from that the rooms are okay and kept clean. I wouldn't go there again to stay but it's not a bad spot

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Whopperfinn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coogee
Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments
Dive Hotel
#4 of 6 in Coogee
Royal Hotel at Randwick
#7 of 11 in Randwick

Been to Coogee Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!