“No parking available”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Coogee
Sydney, Australia
“No parking available”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Our primary reason for staying at this hotel was to be able to stay overnight after going out for dinner with friends.

When we checked in we were told there are only limited parking spots available and we had to park in the public carpark across the road which was metered until 8pm. I then had to point out to the reception staff member that we would also need to set an alarm to feed the meter at 8am the next morning when metered parking started. I think the tone of our check in experience would have been different if we had been served by a different staff member. A simple "I am really sorry we only have limited parking available" would have gone along way rather than the staff member sarcastically saying "I could charge you $100 and you still wouldn't get a parking spot"

We paid $280 for the room and did not get a parking spot.

The hotel is nice enough but I would not recommend it if you are looking for a parking spot for your own vehicle.

Despite completing a guest comment form asking the hotel manager to call me and sending a subsequent email I have not head from anyone at the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wenmar2013
coogeesands, General Manager at Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear wenmar2013,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel, we appreciate your honest thoughts and feedback.

Every guest who books accommodation with us here at the Coogee Sands Hotel and Apartments is made aware that parking is subject to availability as we do not charge for it. Our front office receptionist was attempting to explain that regardless of the accommodation price, parking is not an inclusion of the booking. We offer complimentary parking until the car park reaches full capacity. There is a car park directly across from the hotel that is unmetered from 8pm to 8am and if you do not wish to pay or wake early to feed the metre, off street parking can also be found in the streets surrounding the Hotel.

In the afternoon of your check in day, a member of our front office team informed you that parking had been made available, however, you chose to decline and leave your vehicle where it was already parked.

My apologies if you were inconvenienced when you first checked in, however we do inform all guests that parking is subject to availability at the time of booking. This information can also be found on our website www.coogeesands.com.au and in the description of all online booking engines.

Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Coogee Sands Hotel and Apartments in the future.

Tracy Whitelaw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Canberra
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was good for what we payed.

I wouldn't bother with a courtyard room, it's just a bricked in area, the outdoor furniture is awkward and ours was covered in cobwebs.

The room was nice but it was just a little noisy for us as we were travelling with a baby and we could hear other guests in the hallway and in their rooms. There was also music playing from the pub next door until late.

The location is great.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Travelling103,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel, it is feedback such as yours that allow us to continually improve our services and better meet the needs of our guests.

Our courtyard rooms are very popular among guests with small children; parents often appreciate the outdoor space as it provides a little extra room and plenty of fresh air.

Our friendly reception team are available 24/7 to assist you with anything you may need; they can be reached by dialling 9 from the phone in your room. If ever there are any issues regarding noise please inform the front office staff and I assure you they will do everything in their power to rectify the problem.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Coogee Sands Hotel in the future.

McLean, Virginia
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed here for two nights while visiting my niece who lives in Coogee. It is the third hotel I have stayed in right near Coogee beach so I can afford to make some comparisons. The other two were the Crowne Plaza and the Coogee Bay Hotel (the boutique wing). The Crowne Plaza was by far the most expensive but also a really first class hotel. The Coogee Bay was a rung down but still a very nice traditional hotel. Both are right across from the beach. The Coogee Sands, which is virtually right on the beach, was less expensive than the Coogee Bay and more oriented toward longer stays. My studio had a sink, utensils, and a microwave along with the minibar. It was very clean and well maintained but less hotel-like than the other two and could probably use a bit of updating. I had a room which faced the interior court and which was probably quieter than those with sea views facing the street, since there is a large pub just next door, but that is only speculation on my part. The view from the rooftop terrace overlooking the beach was absolutely spectacular. The staff were friendly and allowed me to extend my checkout without fuss. My sense is that in Coogee you get what you pay for. That said, I was very happy with the Coogee Sands.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jmgradon
Dear Jmgradon,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to post such a lovely review of our Hotel,
it is great to hear such positive feedback about our staff and facilities. I have passed your thoughts on to our team and congratulated them on making such a positive impact on your stay. Your thoughts and feedback help us to maintain the high standards of service and accommodation in which we pride ourselves on.

We are inclined to agree with your comments regarding our roof top terrace, the view is spectacular!

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Coogee Sands Hotel and Apartments in the near future.

UK
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My second 6 day stay this month. If you are on business in Sydney then consider staying just 40 minute bus journey out of the city and by the coast in the delightful, trendy place - Coogee. I was welcomed like a returning friend and found everyone so helpful.
Having your own fridge, microwave, crockery and cutlery meant I could be self sufficient for breakfast. The restaurants in the town are great, even if you are travelling alone.
Other important business requirements such as internet were very reasonably priced, reliable and easy to access. It was perfect say in front of the window taking in the view as I worked. Then just 20 metres to the beach. For the longer stay access to a very reasonably priced self-help washing machine and dryer just took all the pressures away. Looking forward to staying again in 2014.

Room Tip: I just love the rooms on the 6th floor but dont want to tell anyone in case they are booked next tim...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
coogeesands, General Manager at Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Graham,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to post such a lovely review of our hotel.
I am so pleased to hear that you had such a positive stay and that you were able to enjoy all that Coogee has to offer. We have to agree with you - it is a beautiful and convenient location!
I have passed your thoughts on to our friendly reception team and congratulated them on making such a positive impact on your stay.

We thank you kindly for your loyalty and look forward to your return in 2014!

Warm Regards,

zambia
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed as a family here for 10 days. I looked at many hotels in and around Sydney and it is hard to find budget accommodation. Sydney is an expensive place in general, so even this accommodation was expensive but the best I could find for the price. We had two courtyard rooms for 4 of us. There was no view and I understand that the rooms with a view are really nice, but they are more expensive and when travelling on a budget it all adds up. We used the courtyard to hang out costumes and towels. The rooms look smaller than the internet, the double bed is two singles pushed together, the air-conditioning worked, there is a fridge. The bathroom consists of a shower and toilet, no bath. It is very functional. Our rooms were quiet most of the time although the first night there was a party at the hotel next door and the music only switched off at 3 in the morning! The staff were pleasant and the apartments are in a good position in Coogee right next to the beach, it served the purpose for us and we had a great stay. There is a fairly nice looking hotel up the road from this - the Crown plaza and I would consider this if I was staying for a few nights only and wanted a bit more luxury (a bath!). I wouldn't stay here again as I have done this area and would explore another part of Sydney next time.

The positives:

1. Good location. There is a fabulous walk there at your doorstep all the way along the coast to Bondi beach. It is a great walk, with great views, it took us an hour and a half but we did stop for breakfast at a café along the way.
2. Friendly staff.
3. Comparatively speaking, reasonably priced.
4. Lots of small cafes and restaurants in Coogee, walking distance away.
5. Nice beach.
6. Underground parking is free although we didn't use it, we used taxis.
7. Nice and chilled out area.
negatives;
1. No bath!
2. For a higher price you can pay to get a view but then it may be worth going to Crown Plaza.
3. Airplanes come overhead fairly low, but this is all of Coogee in the beach area.
4. No pool or gym.
5. Bit far from City centre.
6. No safe in the room only at reception, this was inconvenient.

The other thing I would look at if staying only for a few nights is the Taj Blue which is nearer the city and they had offered me a fairly good price if I booked well in advance.

if you want something good to do, go whale watching from Darling Harbour, we had a great trip (after taking travel sickness pills) in a small fast boat (cheaper but rollercoaster ride 2 meter waves) and saw a Humpback whale and her calf. Wonderful sighting for at least 30 minutes we watched them breech, well worth the $60 we paid each for 2 hours. In fact the sighting although it left from Darling harbour, was right in front of Coogee beach! Sydney is wonderful, enjoy your trip!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ZambiaAnne
coogeesands, General Manager at Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I was pleased to note that you were impressed with our friendly staff, hotel position and the general ambiance of the hotel on your recent stay with us.

I appreciate your honest feedback about the noise from next door. The hotel you mention came under new management late last year and since then I have been in close contact with them regarding any noise complaints. For future reference, please contact our 24 hour reception team so that they are able to address the issue at the time.

I noted your disappointment at not having a bath. You will be pleased to know that many of our studios do have baths and these can easily be secured by requesting one at the time of booking.

Again thank you for this review and I hope to welcome you back to Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments in the near future.

NSW
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

We were thoroughly impressed with our stay here. Quality accommodation at a reasonable price. Very quiet rooms. Comfortable furnishings. Very helpful staff. Great location right on the beach. Close to all restaurants. Will definitely be back!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank neiceNsw
Dear NeiceNsw,

Thank you for your feedback. We agree Coogee is a fantastic location right on the beach and just a short bus trip into the city centre. Our staff especially love hearing about a guests positive reviews so we will be sure to pass yours on to them!

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments.

Kind regards

Scottish Highlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed here for three nights. I was delighted with location and accessibility to the local amenities. The room itself was ok, but the fabric was showing its age with stains on the sofa, chipped woodwork, just little things that detracted from what could be really good accommodation. Only one mirror which was in the bathroom along with hair dryer which meant tying up the bathroom for however long ladies take to do their hair. Maybe locate another mirror in the living area near the numerous power sockets.
Bathroom let the show down with a faulty shower screen that stuck and could do with a really good clean and a door that had seen better days with a one inch gap at the bottom that ensured everyone(which included visitors) was aware of your washroom activity! By addressing the aforementioned points would really bring this decent hotel up to another level.
Front of house staff were nice and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
coogeesands, General Manager at Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Murdo428,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We take all of our guest comments seriously and do our best to resolve any problems that may arise

I noted your poor rating of the furniture and décor – You will be pleased to know that the hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment with half the rooms already complete, so we hope your next stay with us will be much more comfortable.

Please be sure to ask for one of our newly refurbished rooms when you make your next booking with us. We look forward to your feedback.

Tracy Whitelaw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coogee
Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee
Bondi Beach
Adina Apartment Hotel Bondi Beach
Meriton Suites Zetland
#11 of 179 in Sydney

Been to Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!