“The parking fees are a rip off and are not disclosed to you on booking this accommodation.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney

You added Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   242 Arden Street, Coogee, Randwick, New South Wales 2034, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 30% Off.
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Coogee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Nice views over coogee beach. If you like the beach, then this is for you. Read the fine print about the unexpected fees that will be added to your bill. Dining experience was enhanced by ocean views.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Mcilrath
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Mcilrath
Thank you for posting a review after your recent stay. I’m sorry to hear that you felt charges were added to your account without your knowledge. This was unintentional and we will reconsider our signage as you enter the hotel carpark to ensure our charges are clearly posted.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Fairly simple, a little tired and a bit overpriced, but hey thats Sydney. What you also get is one of the best locations for a family holiday - anywhere! The breakfasts were particularly good - except one - where a well know visiting A League soccer team took up most of the restaurant because they didn't want to sit with each other - they also took over the pool. lucky we had the beach.

Room Tip: ocean view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear rmgmainridge
Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach for your family holiday. We do have a great location and we’re pleased to hear that you got to enjoy Coogee Beach. I appreciate your comments with regards to breakfast and acknowledge that perhaps we could make this experience better for our guests.
We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Maybe I am being a bit harsh here. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the hotel. It is in an outstanding location and close to cafes and restaurants. I found most of the staff very friendly and helpful and hotel has some lovely views. The pool looked decent (if small) and there are some lovely views from the lobby. Bus transport is bang opposite the hotel and plenty of buses going to Circular Quay and Bondi Junction.

However, there were a few downsides. It appears that the carpets in the hallways have not been updated for years and is heavily stained and gives a grungy look to the whole place. The bathroom, while very clean has a very dated look to it and having paid over $220 per night, you would expect that the shower over the bathtub will at least have some sort of a glass screen instead of a dingy shower curtain.

As is the norm in Australia, no free wi-fi in the rooms. And they wonder why the tourists stay away. The beds felt very ‘springy’ and the pillows were the worst I have experienced in hotel rooms for a long time. The pillows provided were so soft that it hardly provided any support and we had to request firmer pillows which hardly made much difference and felt like cheap 10 dollar ones from Kmart.

The room was spacious and had plenty of sunlight streaming in and the views looking over Coogee Village was perfectly OK for us considering we were out and about for most of the day. We had requested a crib for our baby and it was provided with some sheets in it for which we were very grateful. Parking is $25 dollars a night and you have to come to expect it in an expensive city like Sydney.

In all, it is an expensive hotel which does not really provide the luxury as the daily rate may suggest. However, it is tough to top the location as it is bang in front of one of Sydney’s premier beaches. I would stay here again if I get a special online rate just for the hotel's proximity to beaches, cafés and transport.

Room Tip: If you don't want to sit inside all day and take in the views, get the cheaper 'coogee villa...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Geritsk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear orangestreet
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I appreciate your honest and thoughtful feedback. The corridor carpet is indeed in need of replacement and this is scheduled to be done in April and May 2013. All guest corridor carpets will be replaced during this time. As for the bathrooms, your feedback is imperative since we are in the very early stages of upgrade planning.
Glad to hear though that you love the location. The hotel is well placed to enjoy all that Coogee has to offer. Please keep a look out for our web specials which are available at various times throughout the year.

melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a one night stay - the first night away from our kids in 5 years, so we were looking forward to a long and uninterrupted nights sleep.

The check in was fine and the fact there was 2 weddings in the hotel that night seemed like just a nice addition to the things on offer to look at as we wandered around the foyer on the way out. We also had a small but nice room with wonderful sea views on the 7th floor.

Regrettably, it all went wrong around 11.30pm when the room next to us became the 'after party' venue for one of the weddings. They were loud and obnoxious and obviously drunk. We did call downstairs and the night porter did make a visit to them to try and quieten them down - but to little avail.

Perhaps its unfair to blame the hotel on other guests poor but unfortunately it ruined our stay. And once something like this happens all the other minor things you may perhaps overlook became black marks as well - old cigarette butts on our balcony that hadn't been cleared up, no newspapers available in the morning and a surcharge to pay by credit card.

Perhaps if its a hotel that hosts many weddings, and its obvious that some guests are going to want to keep drinks and play up, then perhaps all the wedding guests staying in house could be housed on a floor together so they annoy the hell out of each other rather than ruin other peoples stay.

Room Tip: The rooms not next to drunk wedding revellers are probably quieter!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MelbourneChina
Thank you for your review and I apologise that your evening was ruined by the actions of others. We do try and place wedding guests on the same floor as each other however I’m sure you can appreciate that this is not always possible. We will however review our policies and actions to ascertain if we could at all improve the situation for future guests.
Thank you again for taking the time to post a review.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Was Great! Stayed with Hubby and two kids room was great beds were great had a goodnight sleep views were fantastic breakfast was awesome and included in the price kids had a double bed not a crap fold out bed like most hotels.

Room Tip: Ocean views are a winner
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Holly S
Dear Holly S
Thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach. We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

You expect a certain standard when staying at a Crowne Plaza that this hotel just did not meet.

No valet parking (not that I would ever use this service but something that is normally on offer at a Crowne). No concierge - well there is apparently one there but was no-where to be seen on check in or check out. Unfortunately reception staff are untrained and could not understand that we had booked 2 rooms for 2 nights and 1 room for only 1 night and that we wanted to pay for the 3 rooms total in one transaction - this concept seemed to be beyond comprehention. Also despite 3 rooms being booked in the same booking we were placed in opposite ends of the hotel - admittedly we were advised on check in that we should have requested rooms together when they were booked.

Ocean View rooms were clean and tidy and all linens were clean, soft and fluffy. Bathrooms re tiny and have no ventilation so once 4 girls had showered bathroom mirror was totally fogged up and entire bathroom was wet - with no ventilation the room just wouldn't dry and by the end of the first day the room smelt musty.

The aircon in the room didn't seem to cool the room at all and after being on for more then about 10 minutes smelt like something was burning and condensation started to drip out of the vent - when I looked up at the vent it was convered in mould!

Volume on the TV could not be turned up or down so was way too loud at night when everything was quiet and you couldn't hear it at all during the day.

Block out curtain was broken so could not cover the window and when the sliding door was closed the wind was still whistling in.

Views from the room however were fantastic and could not ask for any better - also looked straight over the pool. According to reception spa is not heated and there is no indoor heated spa or sauna.

Staff in bar next to reception were fantastic and very knowledgable - even checking with the bar staff downstairs to see if they had a particular beer we were looking for. She couldnt do enough for us.

Staff in the bar downstairs were extremely rude and ignorant. There were about 10 people in the bar at the time and 5 of them were us. We stood at the bar waiting to be served for over 5 minutes while the boy on the other side of the bar was mixing drinks for another order - he was quite literally on one side of the 40cm wide bar and we were all standing on the other side face to fac however he did not look up once, did not acknowledge any of us, not even to say "I'll be with you in a minute". The girl behind the bar just seemed to be walking around doing nothing until one of us spoke up, then she begrudgingly served us with the kind of attitude you never want to receive from a person who works in the service industry. Then after taking our order forgot one of our drinks and when asked for it - I could have sworn I had actually asked for her first born child! None of us could actually believe how bad the service was!

Having read the other reviews for this hotel I could swear that is not the place that we stayed. The issues we had with the room I would believe could have just been our bad luck in room 308 and the others might not be the same and maybe all the staff were having a bad day or weekend!

Room Tip: Request that you don't get given room 308
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear anneastascia
Thank you for staying with us and providing your feedback. While its not easy to read, its obvious that we didn’t get everything right and for this I truly apologise. You should expect better than what you experienced during your stay. Please be assured that your comments have not passed un-noticed and have been discussed at length with the departments concerned.
If you would like to discuss the matter further please don’t hesitate to make contact with me directly at the hotel.

Adelaide
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have written about this hotel previously and gave it 5 stars. It is a beautiful property with lovely ocean views of Coogee Beach in Sydney. Everything was wonderful, so my wife and I decided that we would return. We booked through "Hotels.com.au", and this was the first time I had ever used that website.

So, what does one do when you pay for a room in full prior to arriving, receive a confirmation for a King Bed Ocean View room from an "agent", but when you turn up the hotel has given your room to someone else?

Well, there is NOTHING you can do as they have your money already. I understand this practice is called "Gazumping". There was both a wedding and another function on in the hotel and obviously someone else decided that the two small beds was not to their liking. They got there first and were given our room! By the time we arrived, there was only a room with two beds, each of which was not much bigger than a single.

My wife and I have been married 30 years and we sleep together. This is why we made sure we had a CONFIRMATION for the king bed. WRITTEN confirmation. Apparently this is STILL not good enough.

The Hotel Manager was the smiliest person I have ever met. It was really nice when she smiled sweetly as she told me that I was lying as I could not have possibly been given such a confirmation as it was only ever a "request" and they do not "confirm" such things. "What the . . . . ?"

Here's a tip - when you are accusing REPEAT guests of lying, the smile only makes it worse. The search for evidence to refute their claim instead of trying to sort out the problem sealed the sordid deal.

I have since re-checked my confirmation from hotels.com.au. There is nothing in it about a "request". In fact, my documentation says "Confirmation" of a King Bed Room. That seems pretty clear to me, as in fact what I actually booked and paid for had never been in doubt to my mind.

So, I do not know who is to blame, Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach for giving away our room or Hotels.com.au for confirming something they never should have confirmed. One thing, however, is certain. I will NEVER again trust either of these two companies again. I will not use the Hotels.com.au website again as they cannot be trusted with my money.

If I ever stay at Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach again, I will NOT be paying in advance, so that if they "Guzump" me again at least I will still have my money and argue the bill. Or walk away and stay somewhere else, which sadly, was not an option available to me at the time as they had already TAKEN MY MONEY!

Room Tip: Do not pay in advance as they will "guzump" your room for a better offer!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EljayAdelaide
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coogee
Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments
#5 of 7 in Coogee
3.5 of 5 stars 191 reviews
Meriton Serviced Apartments Bondi Junction
Adina Apartment Hotel Bondi Beach

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Coogee Beach - Sydney? Share your experiences!