“This hotel is convenient, charming and comfortable”

The Charrington Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Chatswood
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We have stayed at the Charrington Hotel several times when we have been having a night out in the city and don't want to drive to our home in the Northern Beaches. The hotel is a very short walking distance from Chatswood train station which is cheap and quick way to get to town. We love the ambience of the Federation restoration and the friendly staff. The rooms are small but fully equipped and on Saturday nights have included a complimentary breakfast. Also, there is a guest kitchen but why would you want to cook when there are so many places to eat locally? Our favorite is the Fook Yuen in Help Street (recommend the Chilli fillet steak and spring rolls large servings more than enough for 2 people).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 30, 2011

I recently had made the unfortunate decision to book this hotel for 6 nights. I had booked the colonial room for 109. Aust. dollars which is 147.00 NZD . When I arrived I was given a room in the lower floor ,basement I would call it. Had a look at it. Was dark, smelly and very claustrophobic. Told reception that was not at all like the room I had booked on line. Was then given a room on the 3rd floor at the back of the hotel. It did look more appealing as there was definitly more light in the room and not quite so dark and gloomy. This room was not like the picture of the room I had booked either.
Dropped off my suitcase and left for the day to be with family. Upon returning late that evening. Had a look at the queen size bed. It had filthy, sheets and pillowcases, looked as though someone had previously slept in them for about 2 weeks. Sheets were stained, dirty and wrinkled, and pillow cases looked very used. Disgusting. Lucky that there was also another single bed in the room which was OK for the night. Slept there the first night did not tell reception as noone seemed to be there late in the evening. Bathroom fan very noisy and light and fan all one switch, so could not turn off the fan when in the bathroom. Peeling paint and not very nice at all. Dirty cleaning sponge left in the bathroom cupboard. I left after paying the first nights bill, but I should not have been billed for such a dirty bed and uncleaned room. Somebody elses socks under my bed! Room was not 3 star. It was 1/2 a star at the most.
Shame on you Charrington hotel for giving someone such a disgusting room and then charging them to stay in it! I would not recommend anybody book this hotel for fear of bedbugs or worse. Too bad as the location is the only thing going for this hotel.
Moved onto the Punthill hotel which is truly a 4 star hotel down the road, for only a few dollars more a night, which I would absolutely recommend.

Room Tip: After 2 rooms none recommended
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank suepaps
Reviewed June 4, 2011

The hotel, which I would equate to having more of a B&B feel is conveniently located near to the Chatswood Railway Station/shopping centre etc, but like other reviews I also found the room dark, somewhat smelly, dated and quite tight for space. We had a twin room which had a queen and single bed which may explain some of the space issue. I think they are in the process of renovating, so this may be a good option after it's finished, but from my perspective the actual room we got did not look like the picture which looked light and airy.

We did get an unexpected free continental breakfast on Saturday and Sunday which was a nice touch.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2011

The Charrington is a little gem. Only a short walk from Chatswood station which is handy because you're within an easy train ride of the city but you don't pay the premium to stay in town.
The rooms are comfortable and we didn't go without anything.
Thanks to the friendly staff too!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2011

We stayed at The Charrington of Chatswood for three nights while exploring Sydney. We were thoroughly delighted with this charming boutique hotel. The owners have done a marvelous job renovating this older building. When you enter the building you move back in time upon seeing the decor of stain glass, intricate flooring, woodwork, light fixtures, furniture... We loved it! Ask to see the original picture of this hotel. You won't recognize it. The Charrington of Chatswood was very clean. It was also close to the subway, restaurants and stores. The owners and staff were very friendly. If we return to Sydney we will definitely stay here again. It was great value for our money. Although The Charrington of Chatswood does not have a parking lot there is parking closeby,

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovethosevacations56
Reviewed December 26, 2010

The entrance and the room was unclean, the light fitting in the bathroom had fallen out, the room was small, claustrophobic and smelt, it was so uncomfortable that we stayed 30 mins and left choosing to book another hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nirta
charringtonhotel, Owner at The Charrington Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2011

Just like to respond to the review by Nirta....uncomefortable experience..26/12/2010

Firstly because of a mixup with the bookings on that day the guests were unable to have the Matthew Filnders room at the front of the building with the large north faceing balcony so
they were not very happy with their room at the side towards the rear of the building and I think they
were looking for any excuses as to how they could check-out early without haveing to pay a no notice cancellation fee.When the guest came to tell me they wanted to chech-out I could see from their attitude that it would not matter what other room I offered them it would not have satisfied them.

As to the rooms being small and closterfobic all our rooms are 3.3x 4.0 metres (15 sq m ) plus
a bathroom ( bath,toilet and vanity ) plus a 1.8x 1.8 m balcony with table and chairs ( very unusual
in most hotels )

After the guests had left I inspected the room myself and could not find any problem ( except tor the bathroom light which had become unattatched from its fixing...2 minutes to fix ) so I also asked
some other guests to check the room and let me know what they thought....no problems

I do not know what these guests expected....The rooms at the Charrington Hotel are approx $100.00 per night cheaper than rooms in the other two hotels in chatswood and also cheaper
than most other hotels on the north shore.

Robert Davies...owner

Reviewed August 31, 2010

Personally I won't choose this hotel any more... the rooms are so small and everything is OLD, OLD, OLD. Heater doesn't work well and you can hear next door's snore... It also smells! Can't image? What if you have a carpet not being cleaned for 50 years? That will be the smell!!! It's not even as clean as youth!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank flymanmel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatswood
Meriton Suites Chatswood
Royal Pacific Hotel
#2 of 2 in Artarmon
The Sebel Residence Chatswood
Silkari Suites at Chatswood

Been to The Charrington Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!