“A lovely evening apart from the smoky courtyard”

Great Northern Hotel
Ranked #141 of 232 Restaurants in Chatswood
Cuisines: Pub, Grill
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

We have been going to the Great Northern for 12 years and we always enjoy it.

The food is great although the schnitzels are definitely smaller than they used to be. The menu is great value and the food is delivered quickly.

My only complaint is that if you choose to eat outside that you need to be prepared to inhale the fumes of all of the smokers outside. I am very surprised that the outside dining area is not smoke free. It's disgusting that smokers can light up right next to me while I am eating.

Also on Sunday night they were only showing the cricket on TV. As a pun who sponsor the Chatswood Rangers sports club I would have thought that you could have one tv with the A League soccer on.

Overall a lovely evening but can they please do something about keeping the smokers separated from food outside.

1  Thank Sally37S
There are newer reviews for Great Northern Hotel

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We enjoyed our meal even though it was a Friday evening in November. The outdoor area is best avoided as it is both smoky and noise. Most of the clientele are young people and exuberant at the weekend.

We selected sirloin steaks and cooked them ourselves on the grill. This was novel for us but we enjoyed the experience. A steak (with a salad) was $18 which is very reasonable. They were very nice; all in the way they were cooked I guess.

I would not hesitate to call again even though I am from a different generation to most customers.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Call me old fashioned, but it is ages since i have been anywhere with so much smoke.
I was part of a large group of friends having Sunday lunch, so we ate outside. Big mistake. The table next to us was full of bogans, all smoking. Perhaps it was a convention for the dying breed of people who still smoke and who were overjoyed to be able to do this in a public place.
Food is very basic, t bone steaks seem to be the star of the menu. I felt the food was average at best, not the chef's fault, just that the person who designed the menu has no imagination, I mean t bones went out of fashion in the 1980s. The smoke and t bones made me feel like it was 1973.

1  Thank Lou655
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Didn't realise it was 2 for 1 night on Tuesdays.
We had 2 rib eyes and a sirloin for $33.50 with the salad bar. Couldn't believe it. The quality of the steak was surprisingly good, too. Not the kind you'd expect to see at any other pub that advertises $12 steaks. 14 year old daughter was really getting into the salad bar as well. I know we're going back again soon. Only downside was that there can be long wait times to be served and it's not easy getting a table inside.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Close to where I was staying, good food and reasonable price. Only problems were that we were there at peak time and it was a bit noisy; plus wine by the glass options were almost non-existent.