“Royal Oak Hotel Fantastic”
Review of Royal Oak Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cessnock
Royal Oak Hotel
Ranked #11 of 32 Cessnock B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We had a fantastic experience at the Royal Oak Hotel in Cessnock over the weekend. Lunch on Saturday, we had three Pizza's for four people, TO DIE FOR, fig, pork belly and vegetarian. Had to go back for breakfast Sunday morning arrived un announced with 15 punters the staff were absolutely fantastic, the meals again excellent. Have been going to Cessnock for many years and just blown away with this exceptional restaurant. Thank You All, You Made Our Weekend Very Special.

Robyn Truesdale
Canberra

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Robyn T
There are newer reviews for Royal Oak Hotel

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

This little gem was a surprise find on the long and lonely Main Street of Cessnock. Looking for something s little simpler fir dinner after a few nights in the Pokolbin area we ventured the ten minute drive to Cessnock. The Royal Oak had a lovely little lounge area with old chesterfields and the bar menu had some yummy pizza and other options. We had the pork belly with shiitake mushroom pizza - very nice! The staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Jennie W
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We only had lunch here, on a Monday. The staff where friendly and attentive. The food was fantastic ! I ordered the Barra and it was beautiful. I am not a big fish eater although I enjoy seafood. So pleased I ordered this dish. Our 2nd visit and will be returning again

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Joeyrocket99
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Last week found me in Cessnock for an overnighter. On recommendation of friends, I booked in at The Royal Oak Hotel.
Unfortunately, the fine dining experience is available from Thursday to Sunday nights only, so after my early evening meeting, I arrived back at the hotel around 8.30pm, keen for a light meal and glass of Pinot Noir. The restaurant staff were most obliging and served me in the most comfortable lounge- a nice place to unwide after a busy day.
Staying overnight was great. The pub was not at all noisy ( it was a Wednesday night!) and the rooms although small provided a comfortable bed with fabulous bedding.
The shared facilities were adequate and very clean. A light breakfast was provided.

Room Tip: Best to be close to facilities and not overlooking the main roads.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank BubalooSydney
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I wasn't expecting to spend my Saturday night in the Hunter having "pub food" for dinner but my boyfriend had heard good things about this hotel so we decided to go. And I'm so glad we did!

It was a real lovely surprise. The food was so flavoursome and the service was excellent. There wasn't much choice in wine by the glass but a lot of choice if you want a bottle. Really good value for money and the quality of the food was up there with some of the best restaurants we have visited. The cherry soufle with the pistachio icecream was magic as was all the other meals we had including the sashimi and john dory. Atmosphere was very casual and understated. Definitely recommend for a nice night out.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank ajmackie1
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had lunch here on a week day just before Christmas and enjoyed it so much that we returned recently for a Sunday lunch with friends, who were equally impressed.

The hotel has been beautifully refurbished, and staff in the bar/lounge area and the restaurant are friendly, knowledgeable and efficient.

The menu is extensive and wide ranging, with the addition of half a dozen or so specials (mostly seafood).

We shared a pizza entree - black fig, pear, caramelised onion, goat cheese, and prosciutto ($15). The toppings made a great combination, but the base seemed a little undercooked and doughy. This was the only shortcoming in an otherwise outstanding meal.

I chose the Grimaud duck breast and leg with honey glaze, pistachio crumble, black caviar lentils, pear and orange marmalade jus ($34). My companions went for the lamb rack, pork cutlet, and farmed barramundi (see photos). Servings were extremely generous.

We had a side of hand cut chips to share.

The duck was sensational, and not at all fatty – a confit leg and perfectly cooked and rested breast. The accompaniments were the perfect foil. My friends were very impressed.

From the extensive and very reasonably priced wine list, we shared a Piggs Peake sauvignon blanc and a De Iuliis shiraz, priced in the mid $30s.

Definitely worth the drive!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Glynis031
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The restaurant has an understated atmosphere which is very pleasant. The food is the best I have had in some time. If you like duck they have the best duck dish I have ever had. I order duck in many restasurants and I have had some amazing meals however this is simply the best. I would easily travel from Sydney just for lunch. The portion sizes are large as well. I hope more like this start cropping up, we definitely need more great, unpretentious food.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rubyfinn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cessnock
Wine Country Motor Inn
#1 of 32 in Cessnock
Cessnock Motel
Cessnock Motel
#1 of 16 in Cessnock

Been to Royal Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!