“affordable but would not stay here again”

Cumberland Motor Inn
Cumberland Motor Inn
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Cessnock
sydney
“affordable but would not stay here again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2009

Stayed here in Jan 2009 for one night as my friend was getting married in the hunter valley. Firstly, the lady at reception left me waiting for quite awhile before she checked me in (even though there was no-else there). Once she did get round to it, check in was fine. We stayed in one of the end rooms on the upper level. Room was spacious enough with a double and single bed. Unfortunately, the room smelt like urine and that spread around the room when the fan was turned on....

My husband went to reception to ask for another room but we were told this was not possible as we had used the toilet and pulled open one of the bedcovers in the room. We were told we would be charged if we moved rooms which was outrageous. So we put up with it.

They did come in and try to 'deodorize' the room which helped a bit but did not get rid of the smell.

I know you get what you pay for but for $110 I'd at least expect a room that does not smell like urine. Would not stay here again. Pay the extra $10-$15 and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jezz3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2007

Stayed for one night on account of all the accommodation in the Hunter Valley being booked out, no doubt due to the Steely Dan concert in one of the vineyards. On such occasions, the motels in Cessnock do a roaring trade, it seems, so command a price which is somewhat in excess of what you get for your money. Having said that, the staff were friendly, the accommodation was spacious and clean, and what more do you expect from a basic 3-star motel? We availed ourselves of the breakfast buffet at the motel, but regretted it. We probably should have walked down the street to one of the local cafes, or better still, drive back to the Hunter Valley where one is spoiled for choice.

• Liked — Nothing stands out.
  • Disliked — Breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2007

I stayed here for business purposes and was looking to be late checking in (9pm).

Before I had arrived I called and let reception know I was running behind time, and they wished me a safe drive as I made my way to the Cumberland.

When I arrived at 9:15pm, they had reopened the office and were more than helpful in regards to checking in and finalising my bill for an early checkout.

The staff were kind and courteous, the amenities were great, however there was a crack in the wall in the bathroom, and a few noticable touched up bits of paint on the wall.

Apart from this, the room was large, cosy, and I'd be more than happy to stay there again.

• Liked — Large room.
  • Disliked — Crack in the toilet wall.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2006

Stayed at the Comfort Inn at short notice due to disrupted holiday plans.

We arrived late in the day and the whole town was shut!

The accommodation is basic but sound. Whilst there was air conditioning in the room, it was old and pretty ineffective during quite a hot spell.

We ate at the hotel and the food was surprisingly good.

The hosts were also very helpful in assisting a replan of our holiday itinerary.

Not an offensive hotel, but also not luxurious.

• Stayed April 2005
1 Thank Burgsey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cessnock
Wine Country Motor Inn
Hunter Valley Motel
Hunter Valley Motel
#12 of 16 in Cessnock
Hunter Valley Travellers Rest Motel

Been to Cumberland Motor Inn? Share your experiences!