“Great New Experience, Great Value, Lucky Frankston Locals”

Afghan Pamir Restaurant
Ranked #66 of 249 Restaurants in Dandenong
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Friends recently discovered this restaurant and were so impressed they organised a group of eight of us to try it out one recent Saturday night. My husband and I were the first to arrive. It was easy to find even though the entrance is just a staircase but it was really well signed which always helps.

Once up the stairs and inside my first impression was one of exotica - I informed our hostess we had a booking for 8 - the booking was duly found and we were strangely shown to a table for 6 and two more chairs and extra cutlery were quickly added. As I sat down I noticed the chairs seats could have done with a wipe and I thought the carpet could have done with a really vacuum.

No matter, I had a chance to take in our surroundings while we waited for the rest of our party. The lighting was perhaps a little dim, but the decor was deliciously kitsch, ornate wooden carved chairs and marble tables with lazy susan's in the middle. Traditional afghan dress hung on the walls in various places and overall there was a feel of homey hospitality.

Soon all were present and a banquet at $35 a head was decided on and the first dishes were very quickly brought out. Salad, bread, dips and an interesting very tasty type of dumpling. Fragrant rice, meat balls, and lamb & chicken on skewers. Plenty to eat and salad, dips and rice were refilled if desired as part of the deal.

If this banquet was designed to peak your curiosity and give you a desire to delve deeper into this type of cuisine it did a great job. I would love to go back and explore the menu further.

BYO drinks made this a very inexpensive night out and they were doing a roaring trade the night we were there. This is not a polished group of professionals (although the service was good) but a family run kitchen and dining room producing food from the heart.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Afghan Pamir represents amazing value for money with simply outstanding food. Have been to all three of the "sites" as it has changed venues a bit over the last three years finally finishing upstairs on Lonsdale Street Dandenong.

It is hard for me to comment on the authenticity of te Afghan food as I have never travelled their but many Afghan families and groups were dining there on the same night so that is a affirming vote from the Afghan local community.

The banquet menu is the way to go, as it gives you a great range of dishes, that I defy anyone to finish.

1  Thank Shamilt2
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This restaurant has such a great atmosphere. Our waiter was so friendly and the chef was happy to cater for my gluten allergy. We ordered a banquet and the chef made me alternatives when the dish contained gluten. My dishes were delicious and my hubby actually had to taste each one because they just looked so yummy. We were disappointed that the belly dancer was ill the night we were there becasue we were looking forward to that. If I have any complaint it would be that the courses came out too fast. We would have liked to have lingered and talked for a bit longer between courses. Overall we had a great time and we loved the food. We'll be going back again.

1  Thank MelbourneYannii
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We have been to Afghan Pamir approximately 10 - 12 times. The food has always been excellent however over the last 2 visits we have noticed the serves are getting smaller.
The prices are a little higher than I think they should be (4 adults cost around $140.00) and I think that's a bit expensive for a restaurant in Dandenong. Having said that though the food has always been fresh and lovely.

2  Thank sp98consultancy
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We have been to Afghan Pamir four times, 1st time when it was still in the old location in Foster Street, and thrice when it relocated to Lonsdale Street. Still the quality of the food remains excellent. We came initially to dine out of curiosity after the restaurant featured on Australian lifestyle Tv shows "Postcards" and "Coxy's Big Break". Always have ordered the $35 banquet which in my opinion is more than adequate for a moderately hearty eater, as it features a complete meal from entree (mantou) and naan bread, salad, meatball koftas to the much anticipated pilau rice with barberries and the sensational chicken and lamb kebabs on meter long metal skewers. Usually there will be enough left over to take home. The takeaway menu is a bit pricey compared to other restaurants but is well worth it.
There is a main dining area with very ornately decorated chairs and tables, as well as a couple of private suites, which are furnished in traditional Afghan style with couches and cushions on the floor and meals served on low tables. These rooms are ideal for parties or conferences.

The restaurant is located on the second floor of a building next to Jim Dandy hotel and you need to climb up 3 flights of stairs, which may present a bit of a difficulty for those with mobility problems . Be sure to make a booking ahead as the place is usually busy and space is limited.
Definitely we will come back again, hopefully with a larger company to help polish off the wonderful food.

3  Thank bebop63