“excellent venue”
Review of Silver Hills Motel

Silver Hills Motel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed May 3, 2012

My wife and i stayed at Silver Hills motel for one night in May 2012 and found it to be a brilliant stay.
When we arrived the reception was friendly and helpful and the deluxe queen room with views to the hills more than sufficient.
Room was very clean and tidy with all that is required for a very comfortable stay.
That night we went to the restaurant for a meal and found the food selection and price very good..
Again we found the staff very friendly and helpfull.
Not the most lavish motel in Tasmania but for the price it is one we certainly would recommend as worth staying at.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
silverhillsmotel, Owner at Silver Hills Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Dear Trevorb2506,

firstly many thanks for staying, and of course thank you for the very positive review. Your right in saying that we are not the most lavish motel in Tasmania, but we do hope to be one day ( ! ) ... so long as we can still maintain a very reasonable tarriff for everyone.

While we have great food, great views and our rooms are coming up well...its important now that people should view our accommodation ( and central location on the West Coast ) as a much more viable base ( than Strahan ) for exploring this fantastic wilderness area...wether its purely from a price point, or for the extensive range of services, restaurants and touring available from Queenstown.

Hope to welcome you back one day !

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Silver Hills offers attentive and friendly service as well as comfortable rooms and a good location. James makes everyone welcome and personally attends to special requests with a great deal of goodwill. I very much enjoyed staying at Silver Hills recently. I have no doubt that it will very soon be recognised as the best place to stay in Queenstown.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I go to the West Coast of Tasmania fortnightly with my job. I previously stayed at the Gold Rush and didn't like it at all for various reasons. I had heard that Silver Hills had been upgraded and also saw something in the local newspaper "The Advocate" about the upgrade so thought i would give it a try. I have never looked back - for Queenstown this is great accomm. The service from staff is second to none i have seen anywhere - always really friendly and nothing is too hard for them. The restaurant "Smelters" is amazing - I am always keen to know what has been added to the menu and what the specials are, i haven't had a bad meal here - and the view is to die for! The rooms have always been clean and basic and value for money. There is good heaters, hot showers and electric blankets for the colder months! Would recommend to anyone travelling to Queenstown.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Katemullo,

Many thanks for your positive comments about our Motel. Its been noted here previously about how we are working hard to improve the rooms, and at the same time keeping the rate very reasonable ... so its really great to hear that we are on the right track.

Most of our corporates choose to stay in the Deluxe Queens, and with new beds, flatscreen TV,s, new linen & towelling, free WiFi etc we seem to be ticking a few boxes ...

So again thank you for the feedback, and hopefully we can welcome you back again.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

We stayed at the Silver Hills Motel for one night last week (April 2012). To be honest we weren't expecting much due to the low price.
Upon arrival the owner was extremely friendly and helpful. He made us feel very welcome.
Obviously it is an older facility and so the buildings were dated. It was however, easy to recognise the owners commitment to updating and modernising this hotel.
Our room was exceptionally clean. The bathroom was modern and immaculately presented. The bed was very comfortable. The room featured a large plasma tv and also free wifi internet. We had a roadside room with a fantastic mountain view.
The restaurant was cosy with a roaring fire. The food was outstanding. My husband had a steak which he claimed to be one of the best he has ever eaten. I was shocked to see a vegetarian option and even further surprised to find that it was truly delicious.
Don't expect luxury accommodation however if you are wanting a clean, comfortable place to stay then definitely choose Silver Hills Motel. I would not hesitate in staying there again as we received outstanding customer service and value for money.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2012

When we arrived I had a predisposed back problem that decied to explode on the scene upon walking into reception. Our booking was expedited and I was provided with physical assistance to get me to our room as I had collapsed to the floor. My wife was given all the assistance the management could possibly provide. The motel has a large dining room and considering my disposition meals were brought to our room. The food was great. The motel is older, it has approx 50 units and these are modest but being slowly upgraded. Our bed was great. Free internet connection is available. The motel is only a 10-15 minute leisurely walk into town. I was so thankfull for the assistance received and genuine concern shown.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2012

When you arrive at the Silver Hills Motel, you can see that it used to be quite modern and nice - but that must have been quite some time ago. I'd say it is still o.k. to stay there if you cannot find anything nicer but it's definitely bad value for money. The room we had was quite small and a bit smelly. I'd say the bedroom was even acceptable, even though it was not very clean but the bathroom was just rotting away. Everything was very old and the towel rail was only very loosely attached to the wall and eventually fell out of the wall on one side.

Apart from that, we've actually enjoyed that it was pretty quiet and we've had a really nice view of the mountains from our window.

This place is definitely not horrible or anything, so I believe it just takes some renovations and some more cleaning - and this could be a nice place to stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
silverhillsmotel, Manager at Silver Hills Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2012

This Motel was certainly THE place to stay some 15 - 20 years ago, and it is this owners intention to bring the Silver Hills Motel back to its former glory ... and yes we are currently renovating! With 60 odd rooms, Restaurant, Kitchen & Laundry we have accomplished an amazing amount in just a few months, and feedback from locals and guests, and occupancy rates have really improved. But there is still more to do ... hence room rates have been kept well below the other properties in Queenstown, even though our product is now superior.
I wouldnt describe any of the bathrooms as you have though, although some do need modernising...so my promise is to everyone is to provide clean, warm and comfortable rooms and great food at a very...very acceptable price point...as well as great customer service

Reviewed March 14, 2012

This motel is on the outskirts of town and in a quiet location with great views of the mountains. Room was rather small and the shower and toilet very small! It was clean and comfortable. I had to ask staff to open the windows as I could not reach! Very hot. Continental breakfst is available during the week, but closed on Sundays so I had to have my own food in my room. Dinner had a limited menu and last orders at 7.30pm was a bit early for me. However, the food was quite good. James is the new owner, very pleasant and helpful, and acknowledging he has plenty of work to do to improve this motel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank female-tourist
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queenstown
The Empire Hotel
#1 of 6 in Queenstown
Mountain View Motel
Mountain View Motel
#5 of 6 in Queenstown

Been to Silver Hills Motel? Share your experiences!