“Worst Service Ever Encountered”

Westside Motor Inn Ashfield
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Ashfield
Vancouver, Canada
“Worst Service Ever Encountered”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My friend and I are two women in our 50s and we traveled from Canada for a short stay to visit our friend who is in her 80s so did have to travel far. Very small average room.
On arrival we were demanded to pay the full amount in advance for the 4 nites or we could not check in. On the fifth day we went out to lunch for our last visit with our friend. Our luggage was still in the room. At about 9.30am we are called to check out and remove our luggage or pay $ 85.00. We told the receptionist we are going to lunch and we will be back in the afternoon and will pay the extra charges. We were rudely demanded to come back straight away to pay. We were not happy with the demand so we came came back within 30 mins to take our luggage. Our room was locked and we not allowed take our luggage. Very rudely the receptionist demanded extra $85.00 before we could take our luggage. We travel all over the world and this is the first time we have encountered such unfriendly RUDE service where payment is DEMANDED upfront.
VERY RUDE AND UNFRIENDLY SERVICE SEEMS THEY ARE CRAZY ABOUT MONEY.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank atirath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We booked into this no-frills budget-priced motel for one night (28/07/13) with rather low expectations, but were quite pleasantly surprised. The room had been recently refurbished – with new carpet, paint, tiles and fittings – and although none of it was particularly high quality it was all in good condition. Both the room and the bathroom were spotlessly clean, the sheets, other bedding and towels were freshly laundered, and the mattresses were very comfortable. Everything worked as it should, including the bar-sized refrigerator, the almost-new small flat-screen TV and the air-conditioner. Surprisingly the room was even equipped with an ironing board/iron and a hairdryer. The motel is situated on a busy main road and we were a bit worried that the road noise might bother us, but we found that it was surprisingly quiet providing we kept the bathroom window closed. The first noise we were aware of was from a plane flying into Sydney airport after the 6am curfew. The position is excellent, being fairly close to the city and just a few minutes walk to the train, bus transport and lots of shops, restaurants and take-aways (mainly Chinese).

There were only two minor drawbacks: firstly the very small of size of the bathroom; and secondly the lack of extra pillows (only one per person). The latter were quite flimsy and you really needed two under your head to get reasonable support. I ended up putting a folded cardigan under mine, and if I came here again I would definitely bring my own pillow along. No food or room service is available, but we didn't want it anyway.

In summary, we had a very satisfactory experience overall – most importantly a really good night's sleep – and would be happy to stay here again: it's cheap (only cost us $64 for the night with our Wotif $20 discount voucher), but definitely not nasty. We've paid a lot more money for rooms in other motels that were not as pleasant as this one.

Room Tip: We asked for a non-smoking room and thankfully we got it (no nasty smells detected).
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thommo177
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed there on Saturday 16/6/13. We checked in after 11pm with not problems. The room was clean, but there was a slight smell from cleaning or renovating or something. We had to turn the fan on to clear the air. Otherwise room was clean and fine.

Bed was comfortable. LCD TV was small but worked well. Usual amenities including bar fridge, tea and coffee making, toaster, iron with board, fan, bedside light. Reasonable price of $91.50 including credit card fee. To get this price, you had to book through wotif or lastminute.

Overall there are no complaints. It was a cheap and pleasant stay. Nothing exciting. No complaints.

Room Tip: We had room 3 which wasn't that far from the street but we didn't hear anything.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joseph15
Melbourne
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

They appear to be doing up the rooms as we haven't experienced any of the issues some have had recently. The room has been recently painted, and the bathroom redone. Not a huge room, but certainly not tiny (we can fit a portable cot as well as the queen bed).

Would be improved with a microwave but there isn't much space for it.

The TV isn't much (which doesn't really matter for us) and the Foxtel it's just a handful of channels which are chopped of at 4:3 ratio (aspect doesn't fix it).

The location is fantastic, with the station, many restaurants and a few supermarkets very close (all 10-20 min walk away).

The only thing that may deter people is that it is under the flight path for the larger planes taking off from the Sydney airport. It's not super regular and not all that loud (didn't affect us apart from my two year old asking me to take him out to see the planes each time they flew over).

I would definitely recommend this place if you want somewhere not to far from the city & don't mind a slight noise from planes.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank nathandmez
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I booked in June to stay in July with my 2 children for 2 nights. Upon arrival, at 10.30pm after a 5 hour train ride, I was informed my room was cancelled, because they hadnt heard from me, even though i told them i wouldnt be there til 11pm. They wanted to upgrade me to a bigger room, but charge me more, then informed me after taking my bags upstairs that they only had 1 night available.
I was absolutely disgusted with managements response. They spent more time talking to each other in Chinese than they did to me.
I ended up spending 2 nights on the floor in my sisters house because there were no rooms available where we needed to
be. I will never stay here or recommend this place to anyone again.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank becley

Travelers are raving about these Ashfield hotels

Reviewed April 20, 2012

First impression when we went in our room was... Omg it smells like weed.

Airconditioning looks like it was from 1900's.

Bed is disgusting with yellow stains on sheets (i want to cry just thinking about it)

Shower-- you can hardly get in as the toilet is blocking shower door.

WILL NEVER EVER GO BACK!!!!

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank TheJojoz
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 16, 2011

The non-smoking room is clean. They have Foxtel, bar fridge and air conditioner. Simple and basic. The tariff is affordable, $75/night booked through wotif.com . The manager is helpful and caring .

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashfield
Shilla Lodge Hotel
#2 of 4 in Strathfield
Ibis Budget Enfield
#1 of 2 in Strathfield South
Newtown
The Urban Newtown
The Urban Newtown
#1 of 1 in Newtown

Been to Westside Motor Inn Ashfield? Share your experiences!