“Luxury among the farms”

Solberge Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newby Wiske
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stately old manor type accommodation on a large well manicured grounds among the local farms in this area. We had a very large room with separate sitting room. The bed springs were not overly strong and did not have the most comfortable sleep, but the very new and spacious bath room was excellent, especially the large walk-in shower. The bar and dining facilities were very good with superb service and very tasteful food, particularly the full breakfast with many choices offered.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
DraysonKohli, General Manager at Solberge Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Prof Bob,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hall and my apologies for the late response to your comments. You may be pleased to note that as a result of guest feedback like yours and having had the opportunity to review the mattress in the room and it has now been replaced. Your lovely comments with regards to the food quality and superb service have been passed onto the team.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Perfect place! Exquisite dining, and very comfy beds! Perfect for me and my partner!..although not much sleeping;) The views from all directions were fantastic and all staff were very friendly, welcoming and social. I cant wait to return! The happiest place to be, as the atmosphere was amazing! Me and my partner cant wait to return! ;)

Room Tip: Go for the best, splash your cash! It's worth it! Get the biggest bed for you and your lover! Tr...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Emily,
Firstly my apologies for the late response to your lovely comments posted in your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay and that you and your partner can’t wait to return. I hope to welcome you back very soon for your next romantic break.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We had our wedding breakfast and evening party here yesterday and along with us many of our guests stayed the night. We can honestly say we could not fault a single thing. We truly felt like we were treated like royalty. All staff without exception could not have been any more helpful. The food was outstanding, the rooms were extremely comfortable. We would certainly recommend a stay here and if your looking for a wedding venue we could not recommend anyone more.

Room Tip: The bridal suit was huge as we're many of the other rooms with large bathrooms. The staff were e...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Solberge has just the right mix of traditional decor with modern amenities. The room was spacious, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was huge and modern, plus there was an iPod dock, which was a bonus. The staff were accommodating and the breakfast was nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend on our way to Scotland, we liked the restaurant and the room was spacious. However we did not have an as fantastic view as hoped for, we overlooked a back part of the hotel and a hedge. Breakfast and staff were wonderfull, would recommend!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Found this place through Late Rooms. I was looking for somewhere to break a journey between Norwich and Angus and this seemed a more interesting, and cheaper option than Premier Inn.

Looking at the hotel's website, I thought the offer of a room at this price would have a catch and of course it did - pretty much all of the hotel seemed booked out for a wedding and they must have been using Late Rooms to get rid of the one or two remaining rooms.

It in a lovely situation, quite scenic and a nice building.

I ate in the bar, which was quite odd as I was surrounded by wedding guests. I think the restaurant was being used for the wedding and there was nowhere else to go locally as the hotel is out in the country. Food was fine, but I had to eat by 9pm as they were stopping serving food in the bar.

I had a walk round the grounds, but again felt a bit odd as there were loads of wedding guests wandering about too, so I felt a bit self conscious, like they were all wondering who on earth I was and who's side of the family I was from!

Room was nice enough, but inevitably there was loads of loud talking in the corridor outside my room at 2.00 am from the wedding guests who had had a few and obviously were not thinking anyone outside of the wedding party was staying.

As I wanted an early start I opted for breakfast delivered to my room. It came a little early which I always find awkward as I'm always in a state of some undress and not quite ready when that happens, but the staff never seem to mind. Breakfast was excellent.

All in all a nice place, good price, but quite a strange experience being in the middle of someone else's wedding.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Three nights on business. Old country manor-style hotel in wonderful, quiet sylvan setting with view across towards the North Yorkshire Moors. Superb service and wonderful food - don't miss the fish pie. The restaurant prices are pretty much what you'd expect for a boutique hotel; the bar is somewhat cheaper but the food similarly delicious, the service just as professional and attentive, and the comfy leather chairs entice you to linger over a nightcap or three.

Spacious, comfortable and very clean room - No 7; it didn't have a view (well, it did - of the wall and fire escape opposite) so if this matters to you, ask when booking.

Breakfast food & service well up to the standard set by the evening meals, with enough choice of cooked dishes to provide variety over a multi-night stay.

Not perfect - this is an old building and in some ways it shows: my ensuite, whilst it had clearly been recently and tastefully refurbished, suffered from rather 'creaky' plumbing. The shower was more of a dribble than a torrent, and filling a bath of the desired depth and temperature took over 20 minutes. And the ancient sash window only opened three or four inches and wouldn't stay open for fresh air unless I wedged something under it.

But nitpicking aside, the Solberge is worth a visit just for the food and the service. I'll certainly be returning.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view, make sure you ask for it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Golden Lion Hotel
Golden Lion Hotel
#4 of 5 in Northallerton
The Angel at Topcliffe Hotel

Been to Solberge Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!