“good hotel but a bit slow for business travellers”

Solberge Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newby Wiske
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Recently returned from a six night stay here for business. The staff were friendly and helpful and went out of their way to organise meeting rooms at short notice. Food was good and extra menu choices were offered after our fourth night which was much appreciated. Breakfast is freshly cooked and is lovely with a good range to choose from. Rooms were fine,comfortable and a good size. Our only gripe and it it is a small one is that if you want fast service to facilitate long working hours the service and ambience is too leisurely - but to be fair this is a weekend break rather than a business hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank radley05

Reviewed October 16, 2012

My company booked me into Solberge Hall and from the moment I arrived I was pleasantly surprised. The room was beautiful, with a four poster bed, well furnished and appointed and a lovely bathroom. The view is stunning and the surroundings pleasant.
I arrived well after 10pm, although the kitchen was closed, the staff were more than happy to serve soup, sandwiches and salad which was more than adequate.
I enjoyed a generous slap up full breakfast which was cooked exactly to my order, quickly and perfectly.
The staff were very helpful and I throughly enjoyed the whole experience and will be staying again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a four poster.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Soozz
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Solberge Hall looks like a stately home and like a stately home its a bit worn in places. The place is in need of some new windows and a lick of paint, but don't let that put you off! The staff are absolutely superb, consistently helpful, polite and attentive. The room was great, a little worn in places but very large clean room with a sofa. Its worth noting that the hotel is not in the centre of a village or town so will need to have a car or get a taxi if you want to eat away from the hotel.

We liked the hotel so much that we are going back soon

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gareth B
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed here recently as part of a wedding and have to say we got a good price on the room rate as part of our friends wedding package.

The room was quite spacious, traditional (in keeping with the building) yet new and updated - so updated you could still smell the paint! Not a huge issue to be fair as we were only really staying in the room to get changed & sleep. We had a good sized double bed and a z-bed for our 5 year old... The Z-Bed wasn't the best in the world but it did it's job for the night... (just!)

Food served during the wedding was really good, very tasty and plentiful... and overall a very professional and friendly service from the staff that we encountered. Breakfast was a treat - very tasty and plenty to choose from - tea, coffee, juice, toast, cereals, pastries, Full English Breakfast.... definately no complaints from any of us on that score...

My only 'gripe' with my stay were the bar prices, not just expensive but overly so... I know it's a captive audience but with 200 people attending the wedding I'm sure a lot more would have been spent had the prices been a little more reasonable.... the hotel spoils itself a little by charging such high prices...

Overall, the wedding was very well managed by the hotel and given the hotels beautiful location and views I would stay here again...this would be an ideal romantic getaway... we got to look at a few of the rooms and they all looked quite spacious, light and airey...so I don't think you'd go far wrong whichever room you had, my only suggestion - take your own drinks up to your room with you and save yourself a small fortune...

Room Tip: ....Ask for the bridal suite (Room 2) beautiful!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Hoofoowan
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for our friends wedding in early October 2012. We booked our deluxe double in May checking they took dogs which they were delighted to do. We rang again at the end of Sept to confirm our booking and remind them of the dog but when we arrived our welcome was less than friendly. Apparently the reception and bookings team had no knowledge of the dog and made it clear she was an inconvenience. The supervisor was very unfriendly and made us feel uncomfortable on arrival and more so lacked customer respect. We challenged if this was a problem but were informed eventually with a shrug of his shoulders that it would be ok. We had to then ask for help with our bags and I was unhappy that our stay was already marred by such an unwelcome arrival and that we were not directed to somewhere more private to discuss his concerns. The point was raised in main reception with other guests listening in. I was cross and made my point known later that day. After that we have no problems but it was a shame that I had to make a fuss!
The hotel is a beautifully converted manor house with function room facilities and the views are breathtaking. Our room was a corner deluxe (room 3) with a four poster double bed and en suite. The bed was lovely but tiny for my rather large husband and me - we were tightly packed in at night! Apparently ours was a newly refurbished room but it was already looking shabby and the carpet stained in places, It was also freezing as the small radiators didnt work so we utilised the additional fan heater in the wardrobe and bathroom and another blanket from the drawers.
Food was delicious and overall the service from the young, smart team was friendly and good. Breakfast was plentiful and tasty with a full Yorkshire, plenty of tea, coffee, juice etc you didnt go hungry. Drinks from the bar were expensive, similar to London prices which is where we had travelled from but we were a captive audience. The wedding was elegant and the hotel managed things well. Only disappointment was that they didnt have a decent music system at all so we couldn't play our CD's in the evening properly but this didnt stop us having a bop.
Overall our stay for 2 nights B+B in the deluxe double with dinner one night and drinks cost us just over £400 so it wasn't a cheap weekend.
I would recommend this but warn any potential guests to check the detail carefully.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BettyLondonEngland
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I had my wedding here early September. A fantastic venue and Tracy who was our planner throughout the last year was absoutely fantastic. Really organised and attentive, right down to the little touches like a meal in the hotel for all my family the night before. For this we were given a private room with excellent waitress service. All my family kept commenting on how lovely everything was, especially the food!
I couldn't fault the staff on the day, especially as my sister was ill and they arranged a taxi to pick up some medicine and made her a hot chocolate in the evening. I absolutely recommend this as a wedding venue.

Room Tip: Bridal suite is room 2. Bigger rooms are 1 and 3. It's worth asking for a family room to get one...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ksharp1979
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Recently stayed here as part of a wedding, (To be fair the wedding couple I think had a great time), however we made a booking at one price, then arrived to see that our room rate was £40 more than agreed. As the Hotel was full it was "pay it or leave sir", (did I mention it was my brothers wedding?). So we got to our room and it looked like it hadn't seen a lick of paint in about 30 years, paint and wallpaper coming off in the bathroom, the radiators were on full blast and despite turning them down to their lowest settings they continued to pump out heat full blast. (did I mention I am now paying £170 for the privilege?). During the wedding my food was roast fat instead of roast beef, and during the evening party they ran out of beer and Guinness by 10pm. Coupled with a distinct lack of enough staff to actually man the bars it's amazing they even ran out at all. Breakfast had no baked beans, and the plates were cold so we put a warm breakfast on to cold plates. I don't think I'll be recommending it to anyone....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Crathorne
The Cleveland Tontine
The Cleveland Tontine
#1 of 1 in Staddlebridge

Been to Solberge Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!