“Lovely Stay”

at Boathaven Spa Resort
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely Stay”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The hotel is lovely, not too big and the staff are very welcoming. We stayed in a Bayside Suite Apartment, which has a bedroom, lounge and kitchen area. The bathroom has the addition of a washing machine and drier, which was a great extra. The large balcony had a spa bath overlooking the pool and out to sea. The tiling around the spa needs some attention as does the shower head in the bathroom, which needs a good de-scaling. That said these are only minor issues and did not spoil our 3 night stay. The apartment was spotless and very comfortable, with great air con. The view from the balcony is lovely, although there is some building work going on below as they are improving and extending the tourist area in the bay. It is a shame that they have built a new hotel right over the road as this slightly blocks the view out to sea, which is a shame, though no fault of the hotel. All in all though Boathaven is a lovely hotel with a lovely pool area, and the staff were wonderful. Airlie Beach is a lovely holiday resort and we particularly recommend Ocean Rafting, a fab day out with lots of snorkeling.

Room Tip: Stayed in 9a, which was lovely and is a large corner room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My 3 friends and I came to Airlie Beach at a busy time and paid $2400 for only five nights at Boathaven Spa Resort for an apartment with one bedroom, one bathroom and one sofa bed.

We arrived at about 9am and had a casserole so she let us store it in the fridge. She told us that we would still be able to get into the room early in a couple of hours. So of course, in a couple of hours we went back to reception and she said it would still an hour. We waited until after one, and called to ask if it was ready. Kelly (the owner) was very rude and told us that then we wouldn't be able to get to get in to our room until well after two.

As advertised on the website, we should have had access to the gym, so the next day we went to reception to get the key to find the gym was 'under construction'. When we looked through the windows however, the gym equipment had collected quite a bit of dust the floor needed a vacuum.

Owners were also quite anal about visitors. People we knew had a visitor who wandered into our room, and he was on our balcony where she saw him. This resulted in our eviction from the resort one day early when we had already prepaid our accommodation. We each left $120 short and we were also ordered to clean the room completely or face a $50 fine.

Definitely would not recommend for a group of young friends as management are very rude and impatient. Yes, we may not have been the quietest group but we were certainly not troublesome.

Room Tip: Do not bother with a spa room because unless you are travelling by yourself because they are only co...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Sandy D
B0athaven, Manager at at Boathaven Spa Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for the e-mail reply.
Just one thing you forgot to mention in your post.
You were here for Schoolies, you were advised of the rules multiple times. You and your parents both signed forms that you were not allowed unregistered people in your apartment. You were caught more than once and given a warning that if you did it again you would be asked to leave. You and your girl friends chose to break the rules over & over again, and you were asked to leave as you were putting your safety as well as others at risk.
Out of 26 rooms of school leavers, you were the only ones made to depart early. These rules are strictly inforced for schoolies for many reason and yet you chose to break the rules and then acted all surprised when we enforced the rules.
So I'm sorry you feel that I was rude to you, but I was called out past midnight for 3 nights in a row due to noise complaints about your room and your group just ignored us and kept doing whatever you wanted. You have to treat people with respect if you want to be treated with respect and when you stop acting like an adult and started acting like a young child, we had to treat you like a young child.
As we no longer take School Leavers we do not need to enforce strict rules to maintain a safe and secure environment for all of our guest.

Kind regards,

Kelli Medford
Manager
Boathaven Spa Resort
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Rooms are clean and well equipped and the staff were all friendly and very helpful. Great pool and a separate heated spa. Must say that I never experienced some of the negativity commented about in other reviews. Good advice was provided on day trips and were booked through reception.

Just a five to ten minute walk, depending on your personal pace, from the many restaurants and watering holes of Airlie Beach which is a great town with a vast cross section of holiday makers, retirees, backpackers, families all are catered for here. The "lagoon", public pool is very popular and lifeguards are on patrol.

Will be back for sure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.

We have one of the largest pools in the region and it is very relaxing with the waterfall! So glad you were able to relax and experience all the things the Whitsundays had to offer.

Kind regards,

Kelli Medford
Manager
Boathaven Spa Resort
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed here on a voucher deal for 4 nights which promised 4* luxury including gourmet breakfast hamper plus extras including a voucher for the local spa and a return ferry trip to the islands.

I should warn you to check your booking confirmation immediately when booking here!!!! I called them up in November to check availability for a certain weekend and they agreed they could accommodate me at that time. So I told them I would book my flights and call straight back to confirm the reservation - which I did. I didn't check for a reservation confirmation until the week before I was supposed to travel and realised they hadn't sent me one. When I phoned up to get it re-sent they told me they didn't have my reservation and that there was no availability as it was schoolies weekend. I explained that I'd spoken with them and agreed dates and booked flights based on this. They told me that they would never have agreed to book me in then and I explained that I would never have booked flights without having had that conversation with them!! This was absolutely their error at my expense. I had to re-book and ended up paying extra to change my flights.

The bad:

Large cockroaches running over your face and legs in the night - we complained to the staff who looked surprised at first and then asked what we expected in the tropics? I suggested they let off some bombs and put down traps which they did and we didn't see them again after that. Surely that should be done as a matter of course anyway?

'Gourmet' breakfast pack was mostly stale and hardly 'gourmet' - rock hard muffins and jam plus cereal and yoghurt. Some nice fresh fruit (and fresh muffins!) would be a nice touch and just checking that what is provided is fresh before giving it to customers.

Dirty cuttlery and watered down washing up liquid - totally cheapskate! And not what you would expect from 4*, it's no wonder the cuttlery wasn't cleaned properly.

Noisy Aircon - too loud to sleep with.

For those who are fastidious there are cobwebs in the bathroom and dirt around the windows - not an issue for me as the rest of the bathroom was clean however this again is not 4* standard.

The owner was rather unfriendly (Kelly?), however Heather was extra helpful and very friendly.

The Good:

Location - it's a 5-10 min walk into town. It's nice being slightly out of the hustle and bustle of the main strip.

Pool area - although small, the pool is nicely laid out with sun loungers.

The rooms are well equipped. Despite being run down, they have everything you need.

Overall with the extra's included on the deal it wasn't a bad price ($100 a night), however we looked at the competition whilst there and there are nicer resorts for the same price. We did enjoy our stay, but I would not stay there again due to the issue with the booking and the rooms being over priced.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Gazelle111
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Our apartment was clean, comfortable and well equipped. The staff were very friendly. It was conveniently located and only a five minute walk from the hustle and bustle of the main cafe/bar strip in Airlie Beach. Would definately stay again.

• Stayed August 2012
Australia
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Got a deal for a poolside suite with breakfast hamper (which includedzen/stale muffins) and a few extras. Poolside suite was very average and we asked for another room. We ended up with a studio room as any other type would have cost us extra even though there were hardly any guests at the "resort". Furthermore, what seemed like the only other guests staying on our floor, were put in the room right next to us and these two rooms shared the external door.
Location was good, an easy walk down to the main strip.
We ended up leaving a day early to stay with family who were at the Summitt Apartments - very lovely and a bargain!

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are not really near the pool. There is a driveway in between.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank 2austravellers
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 19, 2012

The decision was easy to stay here due to the fantastic photos online and a few good reviews. When we arrived it was a different story, Kelly was not the most polite, when we arrived in our 3 bedroom penthouse we were excited, until we went to open the blinds to look at our view and they were all broken, one had cords dangling that my 2 year old really seemed to enjoy finding before me. I called down to Kelly who 'didn't know they were broken' and then said she would send maintenance up, we did not see maintenance once in our 6 night stay and I spoke to reception multiple times, apparently the owner of the apartment had to organize repair. I was further disappointed that night when we went to cook dinner and had to re wash every plate, knife, fork, spoon in the entire apartment as they had left over food on them and were extremely sticky (guessing in part that it was because the dishwasher was FILTHY), there were ants everywhere and were continuous during our stay. The spa out on the balcony was filled with gecko poo and dead butterflies (would it be hard for it to be rinsed it out before our arrival?) When we booked the room it was advertised that they had austar television, apparently not, the movies had been cancelled so there was only sports and a few other random channels, not fun when there was no dvd player in the main living area and a stay of 6 nights. We went to do a load of washing on our 3rd day there, popped it into the drier and it never dried a thing, we had to hang everything all over the room (not pleasant to see your undies hanging while eating) there were no clothes drying racks. When reception staff were informed of the broken drier they once again claimed to not know about it and then said that the maintenance person would be sent up, once again the maintenance person was a no show. Over all it was a very disappointing stay and when we spoke to Kelly about this we were told that we had the room for half price so there. If I knew I would get half price service and a below half price room would we have stayed somewhere else.

Room Tip: do not pay for a 3 bedroom apartment, not even at half price, it is not worth it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family