“not as it seems....”

at Boathaven Spa Resort
Brisbane, Australia
“not as it seems....”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

The decision was easy to stay here due to the fantastic photos online and a few good reviews. When we arrived it was a different story, Kelly was not the most polite, when we arrived in our 3 bedroom penthouse we were excited, until we went to open the blinds to look at our view and they were all broken, one had cords dangling that my 2 year old really seemed to enjoy finding before me. I called down to Kelly who 'didn't know they were broken' and then said she would send maintenance up, we did not see maintenance once in our 6 night stay and I spoke to reception multiple times, apparently the owner of the apartment had to organize repair. I was further disappointed that night when we went to cook dinner and had to re wash every plate, knife, fork, spoon in the entire apartment as they had left over food on them and were extremely sticky (guessing in part that it was because the dishwasher was FILTHY), there were ants everywhere and were continuous during our stay. The spa out on the balcony was filled with gecko poo and dead butterflies (would it be hard for it to be rinsed it out before our arrival?) When we booked the room it was advertised that they had austar television, apparently not, the movies had been cancelled so there was only sports and a few other random channels, not fun when there was no dvd player in the main living area and a stay of 6 nights. We went to do a load of washing on our 3rd day there, popped it into the drier and it never dried a thing, we had to hang everything all over the room (not pleasant to see your undies hanging while eating) there were no clothes drying racks. When reception staff were informed of the broken drier they once again claimed to not know about it and then said that the maintenance person would be sent up, once again the maintenance person was a no show. Over all it was a very disappointing stay and when we spoke to Kelly about this we were told that we had the room for half price so there. If I knew I would get half price service and a below half price room would we have stayed somewhere else.

Room Tip: do not pay for a 3 bedroom apartment, not even at half price, it is not worth it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank KaraP13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed May 1, 2012

The professional photos are clearly manipulated, so you think the ocean is very close and you can soak in the waves every evening by sitting on your balcony. The water is far more away and the hotel is well provided with noise from the road. Why the place is called "Spa" is still a miracle to me, perhaps it has a little pool outside. Like a lot of other places in Australia it is overpriced for what you get in the end. Furthermore I didn't like the lady at the reception, I think she is the owner. On my departing day she was screaming all over the place at one of her employees, I was running down to reception because I thought we have to call the police!

The room was big enough with a kitchen, a dinning table and it was clean. The shower head was broken, the aircon super noisy. There was enough space on the balcony and enough parking slots.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank hoteldiary
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2012

This is a self contained apartment style accomm best suited for the traveller on a bit of a budget and even then you can probably find better for the money. Situated just out of the town centre (about a 5-10min walk). The resort itself is nice enough and Heather that was on duty at reception was great, very helpful and lovely to talk to (nothing was an issue for her and she organised everything we needed) and there is a great pool and separate spa. The room we were in was one of the poolside apartments and i wouldnt recommend this. We couldnt pick up wifi reception from our room and it didnt have a DVD player........a must have if you are staying more than a few days. I cant comment on the other rooms but apparently they all have DVD and pay TV, all except the poolside suites. The air con is old style window fitted and is as noisy as a herd of elephants, so you turn the fan on which is just as noisy....So you have to decide if you can sleep with the heat or the noise.....The rooms are large enough and would be great if you are staying with family, for me they were just not as comfortable as you would expect from a hotel of this price (that being said they were very clean and well maintained)..

Couple of tips if its your first time in Airlie. If you want to stock up on supplies, dont use the small supermarket in the town, head just out of town to cannonvale shopping centre and buy what you need from Coles (MUCH cheaper). Its a good hour walk from here, but a very pleasant walk along the waterfront. If you like cheap but good Mexican food go to Cactus Jacks in the Airlie Beach Hotel near the waterfront, go on Tuesday for their all you can eat Chili night for $10. My partner and I had a 3 course meal for under total $50. And if you have the money visit Whitehaven beach or Daydream Island, both great day trips...

I dont think i would go back to Boathaven Resort, even though its a mid priced accomm i feel you could find better for around the same price. But if you do decide on this place definitely stay in any of the other suites than the pool side suites.

Room Tip: Choose any room apart from the poolside suites (higher up)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flyteoficarus
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed at Boathaven over Easter weekend. It's a great location. Just outside the hustle and bussle of Airlie Beach but still an easy 5-10 minute easy walk into town. The rooms were a bit loud. We could hear nearly every door shutting next to us and above us. There were tiny sugar ants in the kitchen area, but honestly, I think that has to be expected due to the tropical environment. The spa on the balcony was nice. The grounds and pool were nice, clean, and well kept. Nothing spectacular but definitely a nice, decent place to stay. Great place for families.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TxAg04
Newcastle
Reviewed February 24, 2012

My partner and I stayed for two nights late February 2012.
Very close to town and was alowed to check in hours before. Quiet a small hotel with abit of a faulty lift. Stayed on the top floor in spa suit.
Was impressed on first impressions. Very well laid out and tidy. Ok view.
Comfy leather lounge and I liked the small kitchenette. (a sample cooking oil would be an asset). Impressed with the little laundry but did not use on my stay. Room was well air conditioned.
The only minor dislike was the cleanliness of the balcony, spa and bathroom. The spa had hair coming through the jets, and hair on bathroom floor.

All in all was a plesent stay and would come back :)

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Belinda M
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Boathaven for a quick weekend getaway trip in January 2012. We stayed on the 3rd level and had a private spa on the balcony. The room was spacious, well equipped and clean. The view had partial oceans views, with the new Boathouse accomodation across the road partly obscuring the views. The location was perfect, a quick 7 minute walk to the main street, however just far enough away to ensure a quiet location and a decent nights sleep. We parked our car safely undercover at the rear of the premises and walked everywhere. Reception staff were friendly and allowed us to check in early, which was a bonus! We booked a half day tour through reception to Whitehaven Beach and I strongly recommend all visitors to the area check it out, it was a perfect afternoon. Do your homework and check out a few different places for tour prices, being the low season you might be able to get it slightly cheaper if you shop around. I would say the room was value for money only if you book through wotif.com, the discounted 2 night stay in the balcony room is a fairly good price for the standard of accomodation, i would think twice if i had to pay the full rate. Overall it was a very nice weekend away.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor to ensure a better ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Townsville
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Our 2 night stay at Boathaven Spa Resort was just wonderful. My husband and I aren't able to get away very often so I really have to do my homework to make sure we not only get a really good deal but also a decent place place to stay. The receptionists were very friendly, easy parking and very central location. Our one bedroom spa suite was clean, modern and spacious. It also included a kitchenette with microwave, hotplates, rangehood, fridge/freezer, dishwasher and all utensils/cookware/crockery. Plus the washing machine and dryer in our room was so convenient. We were lucky enough to have the big beautiful pool to ourselves during our stay and the heated spa on our balcony was a great spot to relax and take in the view. We got a great deal on our stay and I will be back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple