“Noisy, at the road”

at Boathaven Spa Resort
Reviewed May 1, 2012

The professional photos are clearly manipulated, so you think the ocean is very close and you can soak in the waves every evening by sitting on your balcony. The water is far more away and the hotel is well provided with noise from the road. Why the place is called "Spa" is still a miracle to me, perhaps it has a little pool outside. Like a lot of other places in Australia it is overpriced for what you get in the end. Furthermore I didn't like the lady at the reception, I think she is the owner. On my departing day she was screaming all over the place at one of her employees, I was running down to reception because I thought we have to call the police!

The room was big enough with a kitchen, a dinning table and it was clean. The shower head was broken, the aircon super noisy. There was enough space on the balcony and enough parking slots.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank hoteldiary

Reviewed April 27, 2012

This is a self contained apartment style accomm best suited for the traveller on a bit of a budget and even then you can probably find better for the money. Situated just out of the town centre (about a 5-10min walk). The resort itself is nice enough and Heather that was on duty at reception was great, very helpful and lovely to talk to (nothing was an issue for her and she organised everything we needed) and there is a great pool and separate spa. The room we were in was one of the poolside apartments and i wouldnt recommend this. We couldnt pick up wifi reception from our room and it didnt have a DVD player........a must have if you are staying more than a few days. I cant comment on the other rooms but apparently they all have DVD and pay TV, all except the poolside suites. The air con is old style window fitted and is as noisy as a herd of elephants, so you turn the fan on which is just as noisy....So you have to decide if you can sleep with the heat or the noise.....The rooms are large enough and would be great if you are staying with family, for me they were just not as comfortable as you would expect from a hotel of this price (that being said they were very clean and well maintained)..

Couple of tips if its your first time in Airlie. If you want to stock up on supplies, dont use the small supermarket in the town, head just out of town to cannonvale shopping centre and buy what you need from Coles (MUCH cheaper). Its a good hour walk from here, but a very pleasant walk along the waterfront. If you like cheap but good Mexican food go to Cactus Jacks in the Airlie Beach Hotel near the waterfront, go on Tuesday for their all you can eat Chili night for $10. My partner and I had a 3 course meal for under total $50. And if you have the money visit Whitehaven beach or Daydream Island, both great day trips...

I dont think i would go back to Boathaven Resort, even though its a mid priced accomm i feel you could find better for around the same price. But if you do decide on this place definitely stay in any of the other suites than the pool side suites.

Room Tip: Choose any room apart from the poolside suites (higher up)
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Flyteoficarus
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed at Boathaven over Easter weekend. It's a great location. Just outside the hustle and bussle of Airlie Beach but still an easy 5-10 minute easy walk into town. The rooms were a bit loud. We could hear nearly every door shutting next to us and above us. There were tiny sugar ants in the kitchen area, but honestly, I think that has to be expected due to the tropical environment. The spa on the balcony was nice. The grounds and pool were nice, clean, and well kept. Nothing spectacular but definitely a nice, decent place to stay. Great place for families.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TxAg04
Reviewed February 24, 2012

My partner and I stayed for two nights late February 2012.
Very close to town and was alowed to check in hours before. Quiet a small hotel with abit of a faulty lift. Stayed on the top floor in spa suit.
Was impressed on first impressions. Very well laid out and tidy. Ok view.
Comfy leather lounge and I liked the small kitchenette. (a sample cooking oil would be an asset). Impressed with the little laundry but did not use on my stay. Room was well air conditioned.
The only minor dislike was the cleanliness of the balcony, spa and bathroom. The spa had hair coming through the jets, and hair on bathroom floor.

All in all was a plesent stay and would come back :)

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Belinda M
Reviewed February 3, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Boathaven for a quick weekend getaway trip in January 2012. We stayed on the 3rd level and had a private spa on the balcony. The room was spacious, well equipped and clean. The view had partial oceans views, with the new Boathouse accomodation across the road partly obscuring the views. The location was perfect, a quick 7 minute walk to the main street, however just far enough away to ensure a quiet location and a decent nights sleep. We parked our car safely undercover at the rear of the premises and walked everywhere. Reception staff were friendly and allowed us to check in early, which was a bonus! We booked a half day tour through reception to Whitehaven Beach and I strongly recommend all visitors to the area check it out, it was a perfect afternoon. Do your homework and check out a few different places for tour prices, being the low season you might be able to get it slightly cheaper if you shop around. I would say the room was value for money only if you book through wotif.com, the discounted 2 night stay in the balcony room is a fairly good price for the standard of accomodation, i would think twice if i had to pay the full rate. Overall it was a very nice weekend away.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor to ensure a better ocean view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Our 2 night stay at Boathaven Spa Resort was just wonderful. My husband and I aren't able to get away very often so I really have to do my homework to make sure we not only get a really good deal but also a decent place place to stay. The receptionists were very friendly, easy parking and very central location. Our one bedroom spa suite was clean, modern and spacious. It also included a kitchenette with microwave, hotplates, rangehood, fridge/freezer, dishwasher and all utensils/cookware/crockery. Plus the washing machine and dryer in our room was so convenient. We were lucky enough to have the big beautiful pool to ourselves during our stay and the heated spa on our balcony was a great spot to relax and take in the view. We got a great deal on our stay and I will be back.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights just before Christmas, I was pleasantly surprised by our accommodation, the surroundings at the resort and the staff at reception who were very friendly and helpful. We had a one bedroom beautifully appointed apartment on the 3rd floor with our own private spa on the balcony. The view from our balcony was amazing, only let down by the new development across the road from the resort. Even though there were a lot of people staying at Boathaven our room was quite and we even manage to get the pool to ourselves each day of our stay.

We drove to Airlie and were able to park our car undercover for the duration of our stay, it didn't move from the moment we arrived to the moment we left because Boathaven is so convenient to the main street of Airlie. Restaurants, shops and bars were all within a short walk from the resort with the steepest part being the resort driveway, unlike a lot of other accommodation in Airlie which is perched on top of a hill. All the tours we went on also picked us up from the front of the resort. Boathaven is a perfect place to stay for those that are not driving.

If heading to Airlie I would highly recommend a stay at Boathaven!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple