“Will not recommend”

La Tabella Trattoria
Ranked #9 of 102 Restaurants in Airlie Beach
Cuisines: Italian, Grill
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Scenic view, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Open 7 days All day dining Full Table Service Outdoor seating Views Private air conditioned function room Cocktail Bar Homemade pastas Fresh locally caught seafood Morning and afternoon Tea
“Will not recommend”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Went here a little while ago with 10 other airlie beach locals. I'm sure it could have been different if they knew who we were as most of us are front counter staff in town. The service was terrible, I only managed to get 2 drinks in the 2 hours we were there as the staff just kept running past us. The girls were getting very frustrated as the staff were incapable of keeping their wine glasses from remaining empty even though they had purchased a few bottles at the start and asked for the wine to keep coming. The food took a long time on a quiet night, and when it came out it was very disappointing. I had the seafood pasta which tasted like dirty dish water, pasta was over cooked, there were 7 prawn heads and one prawn body. No other seafood could be found except the mussels sitting on top. I mean the mussel shells, they were cooked so much there was literally nothing in the shell. All in all it was the worst dining experience I have had and the entire group agreed. For a newish restaurant in a small town I think you should focus on the quality of the food more rather then making sure the cooks have a fresh cold beer every 15 mins.

Leni F, Owner at La Tabella Trattoria, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Airliesailor,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant.
You mentioned you were here some time ago, and it's therefore we are have having difficulty remembering your reservation for 11 (local) people.
We appreciate and take on board all constructive feedback as we are striving for excellence.

It concerns me, considering you were all locals, that your complaints were not relayed on the night, so that we were given the opportunity to offer some form of compensation.
eg...no seafood in the marinara..? ....our marinara consists off 4 mussels, 4 prawns, (we have never used prawns heads in the marinara) 4 scallops, and calamari.
We would have gladly made a new meal for you.
Chef's are permitted to have 1 staff drink after service and certainly not 1 every 15 minutes..??

As locals I'm sure you would be wanting to support any new establishment and see it succeed, and it is therefore I ask you to contact me personally as I would be delighted to extend an invitation for you to return.

Regards

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane Australia
“Great location..great dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Right on the Esplanade..great service and meals
A very hospitable owner who welcomes everyone personally
A nice touch

Visited January 2013
Leni F, Owner at La Tabella Trattoria, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear westcity,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant and for your much appreciated kind words.

Warm regards
mackay
“Close to the mark.....excellent dinner ,service and ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

After reading the reviews we booked for a short family holiday based on the owners responses to some ongoing issues since trying to cut the cloth.....what is apparent from the menu and reviews ownership does not rest with the chef/s but a chef with o/seas experience........tried the salmon gravlax.....close,partner had prawn risotto.....perfection ....portion size good enough for me to scoop some up.......mine was veal scallopini with field mushroom.....portion of meat for 29 dollars perfect ...dish perfect......lack of accompaniment the only drawback.....if one was to order just this and not a starter I could concur with previous comments,maybe some piped potato or a option of little sides at no extra.....overall would highly reccomended this venue as getting its groove on....kids pizza no problem either

• Visited January 2013
Leni F, Owner at La Tabella Trattoria, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear buddasyd,

Thank you for taking the time to share your La Tabella experience.

Your feedback is great...it's constructive and very helpful to us.

Our team of chef's are currently in the process of designing some new dishes for the menu, and I am happy to advise the veal scallopini is now served with an accompaniment.

Thank you again for your much appreciated feedback and look forward to welcoming you and the family again very soon.

Kind regards
Mackay, Australia
“A bit disapointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

We have decided to go for Italian dinner one night and despite recommendation from the locals we were disappointed. We have ordered and waited almost 50 minutes for the dinner.I guess because it was very busy night we kind of understood. I have ordered pasta with sauce. Pasta was very hard and dry.. Not enough sauce... Price almost $30 - value $2. My girlfriend ordered Antipasto platter but again - not good value for the money as there was only a few slices salami, 2 pieces of cheese, some olives, dips and slices of another salami, served on huge plate... I really think that this restaurant is overprices... You have to really order starter, main meal and side dishes to feel full... Beautiful view,great position and very nice customer service would be the positives..

• Visited December 2012
Dear Kyle D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your La Tabella experience and the positive comments in regards to our view and service.

It is difficult for me to respond due to the lack of information re your pasta dish. We have several pasta dishes on the menu and it would help us greatly if more information had been given.
To say a $30. dish is worth $2. is not constructive criticism, nor is it helpful with the development of the restaurant.

You found the antipasto expensive....it is designed to be an entree/starter and not a main meal which is the impression you gave.

Our antipasto plate consists of the following;
2 types of salami, proscuitto, mortadella, assorted marinated olives, gravlax, white anchovy, semi dried tomatoes,char grilled vegetables,cheese, and bread.

We don't have dips on our menu as you say,....could it be possible you are confusing us with another restaurant...?

Airlie Beach, Australia
“Gone Backwards!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

What a disappointment. We returned after 7 weeks for more good food and found the prices were up, service down and food iffy.
When we first arrived we were chatting to some friends who were passing. The waiter kept hovering around us, hopping from one foot to another, making it obvious that he wanted to take our order and how dare we hold him up. We asked our friends to join us but they didn't because of the waiter and also that last time they ate at the Tabella they had paid $30 for a pork chop.
We ordered the Sirloin and Scallopini, a red and a beer. The red was warm, way over "room temperature" and in the Tropics for goodness sake. The beer, looked good bottle cold, beer warm. Just re-stocked the fridge?
The sirloin arrived as described on the menu but I expected a little more than a smear of sweet potato puree, a little wilted something and a (very nice) bit of caramelised onion to go with the steak.
The 3 pieces of quite thick scallopini (nice) only had an insipid mushroom sauce.
The waitress cleared my partners plate whilst I was still eating and then tried to clear mine as well.
We had another warm red and beer and went home. 84 bucks? your kidding. Won't be back.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank GandC1948
Leni F, Owner at La Tabella Trattoria, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear GandC1948,

Thank you for your feedback relating to your recent visit to La Tabella.
I was delighted to read this was a return visit for you, thank you, however very disappointed to learn your experience was not satisfactory.

I apologise for the temperature of the red wine....I have a special red wine fridge on order which will allieviate this problem.
It is possible you may have received a beer that had been restocked prior to service. The team have been made aware of this and will in future ensure the stock is rotated properly. May I suggest should you ever be given a 'warm' beer anywhere, to bring it to the attention of your service attendant, so they are able to replace it with a cold one for you....no need to drink warm beer.

Since your previous visit 7 weeks ago we have made some changes to the menu, however the prices haven't gone up, we have introduced some new dishes that requires us to charge accordingly.... hence perhaps your perception of the prices having gone up.

Our team of chefs are currently designing a new menu which we hope to introduce in the next couple of weeks.
Yourselves and all locals are our priority, and I feel it is important to continually change the menu and specials for your interest and enjoyment.

Thank you again for your helpful feedback and would value the opportunity to make right on your next visit.

Kind regards