“Close to the mark.....excellent dinner ,service and ambience”

La Tabella Trattoria
Ranked #12 of 115 Restaurants in Airlie Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open 7 days All day dining Full Table Service Outdoor seating Views Private air conditioned function room Cocktail Bar Homemade pastas Fresh locally caught seafood Morning and afternoon Tea
Reviewed January 21, 2013

After reading the reviews we booked for a short family holiday based on the owners responses to some ongoing issues since trying to cut the cloth.....what is apparent from the menu and reviews ownership does not rest with the chef/s but a chef with o/seas experience........tried the salmon gravlax.....close,partner had prawn risotto.....perfection ....portion size good enough for me to scoop some up.......mine was veal scallopini with field mushroom.....portion of meat for 29 dollars perfect ...dish perfect......lack of accompaniment the only drawback.....if one was to order just this and not a starter I could concur with previous comments,maybe some piped potato or a option of little sides at no extra.....overall would highly reccomended this venue as getting its groove on....kids pizza no problem either

Leni F, Owner at La Tabella Trattoria, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear buddasyd,

Thank you for taking the time to share your La Tabella experience.

Your feedback is great...it's constructive and very helpful to us.

Our team of chef's are currently in the process of designing some new dishes for the menu, and I am happy to advise the veal scallopini is now served with an accompaniment.

Thank you again for your much appreciated feedback and look forward to welcoming you and the family again very soon.

Leni

Write a ReviewReviews (1,311)

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We have decided to go for Italian dinner one night and despite recommendation from the locals we were disappointed. We have ordered and waited almost 50 minutes for the dinner.I guess because it was very busy night we kind of understood. I have ordered pasta with sauce. Pasta was very hard and dry.. Not enough sauce... Price almost $30 - value $2. My girlfriend ordered Antipasto platter but again - not good value for the money as there was only a few slices salami, 2 pieces of cheese, some olives, dips and slices of another salami, served on huge plate... I really think that this restaurant is overprices... You have to really order starter, main meal and side dishes to feel full... Beautiful view,great position and very nice customer service would be the positives..

Dear Kyle D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your La Tabella experience and the positive comments in regards to our view and service.

It is difficult for me to respond due to the lack of information re your pasta dish. We have several pasta dishes on the menu and it would help us greatly if more information had been given.
To say a $30. dish is worth $2. is not constructive criticism, nor is it helpful with the development of the restaurant.

You found the antipasto expensive....it is designed to be an entree/starter and not a main meal which is the impression you gave.

Our antipasto plate consists of the following;
2 types of salami, proscuitto, mortadella, assorted marinated olives, gravlax, white anchovy, semi dried tomatoes,char grilled vegetables,cheese, and bread.

We don't have dips on our menu as you say,....could it be possible you are confusing us with another restaurant...?

Reviewed January 13, 2013

What a disappointment. We returned after 7 weeks for more good food and found the prices were up, service down and food iffy.
When we first arrived we were chatting to some friends who were passing. The waiter kept hovering around us, hopping from one foot to another, making it obvious that he wanted to take our order and how dare we hold him up. We asked our friends to join us but they didn't because of the waiter and also that last time they ate at the Tabella they had paid $30 for a pork chop.
We ordered the Sirloin and Scallopini, a red and a beer. The red was warm, way over "room temperature" and in the Tropics for goodness sake. The beer, looked good bottle cold, beer warm. Just re-stocked the fridge?
The sirloin arrived as described on the menu but I expected a little more than a smear of sweet potato puree, a little wilted something and a (very nice) bit of caramelised onion to go with the steak.
The 3 pieces of quite thick scallopini (nice) only had an insipid mushroom sauce.
The waitress cleared my partners plate whilst I was still eating and then tried to clear mine as well.
We had another warm red and beer and went home. 84 bucks? your kidding. Won't be back.

1  Thank GandC1948
Leni F, Owner at La Tabella Trattoria, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear GandC1948,

Thank you for your feedback relating to your recent visit to La Tabella.
I was delighted to read this was a return visit for you, thank you, however very disappointed to learn your experience was not satisfactory.

I apologise for the temperature of the red wine....I have a special red wine fridge on order which will allieviate this problem.
It is possible you may have received a beer that had been restocked prior to service. The team have been made aware of this and will in future ensure the stock is rotated properly. May I suggest should you ever be given a 'warm' beer anywhere, to bring it to the attention of your service attendant, so they are able to replace it with a cold one for you....no need to drink warm beer.

Since your previous visit 7 weeks ago we have made some changes to the menu, however the prices haven't gone up, we have introduced some new dishes that requires us to charge accordingly.... hence perhaps your perception of the prices having gone up.

Our team of chefs are currently designing a new menu which we hope to introduce in the next couple of weeks.
Yourselves and all locals are our priority, and I feel it is important to continually change the menu and specials for your interest and enjoyment.

Thank you again for your helpful feedback and would value the opportunity to make right on your next visit.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

It's about time there was an Italian restaurant in Airlie. Went to this one with my parents who were visiting and my partner and we were very happy with our decisions, I was even more impressed that they actually had gluten free pasta (Packet) but its the first time in Airlie that I have had that choice. We had a lovely Irish girl serve us and nothing was too much for her. would definitely recommend!

Dear Cherie080684,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback.

We appreciate all comments and hope you will be able to return again very soon and sample our new menu.

Trust your parents enjoyed their stay in our 'little piece of paradise'

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I am so glad my friends talked me into ignoring some of the poor reviews and take them to this restaurant for dinner. The food was excellent and the pasta dishes superb obviously not out of the cardboard box and traditionally al dente.The calamari was the best I have had, but it was surpassed by the fillet steak. I was too full for desert but some of my friends endulged in the tiramisu and what a delicious desert that was.
The service was friendly and warm as you expect in a trattoria, attentive without being over the top. What a treat not to have to stand in line at the counter to order and pay.
My only observation of improvement was the wine list, it is a little limited
I will definitely come back on my next trip and sample more of this food and great ambience.

Dear HansH,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to La Tabella.

Appreciate your feedback and happy to advise our new wine fridge should be here soon, which will enable us to expand the wine list.

We trust you enjoyed your stay here in the Whitsundays and hope you will return again very soon.