“Not a bad hostel.. could improve but would stay again.”

Beaches Backpackers
Reviewed May 23, 2013

First impressions weren’t that good but it improved! We were told there would be a free breakfast and pick up from the bus stop.. Neither was true. It wasn’t that far from the bus stop, however, we arrived at night and in the pouring rain and the woman on the phone (bar girl) was very unhelpful at giving us directions so by the time we arrived we weren’t in the best mood.

The room itself was quite nice – a pretty large 8 share with ensuite bathroom and even a little balcony. The very nice woman on reception the next morning more than made up for her colleague the night before and generally the hostel was quite nice. It was a shame it was raining for quite a lot of our stay in Airlie Beach as the hostel was very much outside. This didn’t ruin our stay; we just lived in our raincoats for a few days! The only thing was the pool was in the process of being filled in and, due to the rain, was just full to the top with dirty looking rainwater. (The Airlie Beach lagoon is only 5 minutes walk away though and is pretty nice).

The bar attached to the hostel was really good, quite cheap drinks and just a general nice atmosphere. They also had a food menu which was half price to guests.. well worth it, especially since the small corner shop is pretty expensive. We ate a few times from this menu and could never fault anything we had.
Really liked Airlie Beach (despite the rain) and the hostel itself is in a brilliant location. Wouldn’t want to stay here a long time but it was perfect for what we needed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We checked into our room after being greeted by a member of staff on reception who quite clearly didn't really want to be there.

The room was OK, just about enough space for all the people in there. The bathrooms however were filthy and looked as though they were never cleaned with hair and all sorts sitting in the bath.

We were glad we were only staying one night before our whitsundays trip.

No real common area, a small room with a TV adjacent to the kitchen.

Overall everything could do with a good scrub. I wouldn't recommend to friends.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Charlotte P
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Airlie Beach is already a dodgy place when it comes to backpacking but this was the ultimate worst experience with beaches hostel. They basically offered me a paid job working in the bar if I worked for accommodation at the same time. By the way the general manager of the hostel gave me this job. Being low on funds, I stupidly agreed. They stuck me in the smallest room in the hostel with 7 other people. I was told that I'd start the Friday I moved in, but then they told me Monday. Then it was next week. They basically tricked me into working for free, housekeeping (cleaning black mold in disgusting areas of the hostel) and I never got the job they promised me. Anyways I ended up being tossed out of the work for accom after a week or so basically because they had used me like a dirty rag and now were finished. Oh and they decided to keep my 50 dollar damage deposit because some other backpackers things got wet, and I was basically the fall guy. Awful and loud bar, horrible dirty rooms, cockroaches, theres a pool but it seems like there just too lazy to clean it, and just dodgy down right unprofessional employees. If your in Airlie Beach skip Beaches and head to XBase Hostel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Adam H
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

For the price this place was amazing, although it took some getting used to. First impressions were awful, ripped carpet in the rooms, no main light, bathrooms falling apart, leaking aircon, no alcohol aloud in rooms, pool out of order and green... but the location and the people make it so bearable! Had some of the best nights here. The half price meal deal in the bar downstairs is also amazing and the food was lovely. Would recommend this as a place to stay in Airlie but don't go expecting anything great!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The hostel is located in the main street near the lagoon and some rooms have a nice view. The meal deal is alright if you stay here but you are forced to have drink in their bar (which is loud at night!). There is no other common area in the hostel to meet other travellers. Staff is very unfriendly. It is a cheap place to stay while in Airlie but don't expect too much from it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was staying at the YHA up the road from Beaches, but walking down the street with a coupon in one hand, I was always eager to get my $6.50 lunch and drink. $6.50 for a cider, a chicken parma (or another of the 12 dishes on offer) is just amazing! The food was always excellent (considering the price) and I could not stop going back! If you're staying at a hostel, check if you can get these vouchers, and stay a while in the bar on the wet days to talk rubbish to backpackers and enjoy the music!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Impydevil
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here before and after my whitsundays trip... Seemed busier over the weekend with loads of stag do's or something in the area. Cheap,clean , good location.. Bar was lively, big screens for sport which was great. Kitchen small but me & my mate didnt bother cooking, between the bar( which had great food deals) & subway we were sorted!! :-) ... friendly staff, one was actually from back home Ni!! .!
No complaints, 100% ... Cheers.

• Stayed: October 2012