First impressions weren’t that good but it improved! We were told there would be a free breakfast and pick up from the bus stop.. Neither was true. It wasn’t that far from the bus stop, however, we arrived at night and in the pouring rain and the woman on the phone (bar girl) was very unhelpful at giving us directions so by the time we arrived we weren’t in the best mood.
The room itself was quite nice – a pretty large 8 share with ensuite bathroom and even a little balcony. The very nice woman on reception the next morning more than made up for her colleague the night before and generally the hostel was quite nice. It was a shame it was raining for quite a lot of our stay in Airlie Beach as the hostel was very much outside. This didn’t ruin our stay; we just lived in our raincoats for a few days! The only thing was the pool was in the process of being filled in and, due to the rain, was just full to the top with dirty looking rainwater. (The Airlie Beach lagoon is only 5 minutes walk away though and is pretty nice).
The bar attached to the hostel was really good, quite cheap drinks and just a general nice atmosphere. They also had a food menu which was half price to guests.. well worth it, especially since the small corner shop is pretty expensive. We ate a few times from this menu and could never fault anything we had.
Really liked Airlie Beach (despite the rain) and the hostel itself is in a brilliant location. Wouldn’t want to stay here a long time but it was perfect for what we needed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A perfect location, affordable accommodation, friendly staff and an in-house bar with nightly entertainment makes Beaches the best place to stay in Airlie. Free wi-fi is available ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Beaches Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beaches Airlie Beach Hotel Airlie Beach
- South Beach Beaches
- Beaches Backpackers Airlie Beach/Whitsunday Islands