“The place to eat in Airlie Beach, on a budget”

Beaches Backpackers
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was staying at the YHA up the road from Beaches, but walking down the street with a coupon in one hand, I was always eager to get my $6.50 lunch and drink. $6.50 for a cider, a chicken parma (or another of the 12 dishes on offer) is just amazing! The food was always excellent (considering the price) and I could not stop going back! If you're staying at a hostel, check if you can get these vouchers, and stay a while in the bar on the wet days to talk rubbish to backpackers and enjoy the music!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Impydevil

Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here before and after my whitsundays trip... Seemed busier over the weekend with loads of stag do's or something in the area. Cheap,clean , good location.. Bar was lively, big screens for sport which was great. Kitchen small but me & my mate didnt bother cooking, between the bar( which had great food deals) & subway we were sorted!! :-) ... friendly staff, one was actually from back home Ni!! .!
No complaints, 100% ... Cheers.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I think this place is maybe down to look what room you get.

We were in an 8 bed dorm at the back of the hostel. The room was huge and ensuite. It was dated but the aircon worked, it was clean (and cleaned everyday) and had it's own balcony. I wouldn't want to have stayed at the front of the hostel due to the noise from the hostel bar and the other bars nearby.

For the price it was difficult to fault, it was $49 for 3 nights. The bar downstairs is also fine, they do very very cheap meal deals for guests, I thought the food was naff and what I expected for $6.50 which indluded a drink but others enjoyed it.

Enjoyed my stay here. I guess everywhere in Airlie gets a 5 for location because it is so small and you are never more than 5 minutes from anything, this place is directly opposite the lagoon though which was great

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed there only one night but we really enjoy it! We had a good deal for our meal, with 6 dollars you get a big meal and a drink and there are also some options for vegetarians. During the happy our a jug of cider/beer for only 8 dollars and the atmosphere was very fun. Music, games, dancing...it was a great time!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in Beaches for a total of eight days in Airlie while I waited for my whitsundays sailing trip. My favorite thing was the fact that I got to work for accommodation so I worked 2 hours a day housekeeping and cleaning then I didn't have to pay rent. Also the restaurant has really good food and EVERY day you get a voucher to have a meal that regularly costs $12 for $6 and that included a drink!!!! Not just rice and noodles fellow backpackers!!!! Steaks, chicken parmagiana, fish and chips, salads, anything you want!!!! The kitchen was small and very cramped during the day and didn't have that many pots and pans that had handles on them. The only inconvenience is having to take your room key to get plates, bowls and cutlery every time you want to cook and eat. Other than the kitchen, there really wasn't much else that I didn't enjoy!!! Enjoy your stay in Airlie!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Beaches is right next door to Nomads which apparently has nicer rooms but the rooms in Beaches are perfectly fine and clean so what more do you need, plus its about $10 cheaper than Nomads. The bar at Beaches is also great. Really cheap drink deals, lively, and you get a $6 meal deal which is excellent value for money. Great location right opposite the lagoon.

Room Tip: When I came back from the Whitsundays I was put in a room right over the bar which was obviously noi...